If this is true, maybe we should go QB in the first

LittleD

Reaction score
Is the Cap Hit the same if Romo is forced to retire?

Romo is not thinking retirement and you can't force him to retire. It the Cowboys were to cut him there would
be a scramble by several teams to sign him. He's still elite guys.

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
Romo is not thinking retirement and you can't force him to retire. It the Cowboys were to cut him there would

Easy their, don't go overboard...the discussion was reference to Cap Hits an Forced to retire because of injury....relax

LittleD

Reaction score
Easy their, don't go overboard...the discussion was reference to Cap Hits an Forced to retire because of injury....relax

Fair enough. It nearly impossible to deal with the cap hit on Romo until 2017 or after. While he could be restructured again, I think it
would be I think it would be kicking the can into a dark hole that the Cowboys front office would soon fall into.

Dundalis

Reaction score
I don't want to spend 20 minutes listening to a pod cast of someones opinion of a player.
Former NFL defensive co-ordinator basically saying Ramsey is stiff. Basically he's far away from the perfect prospect people are saying he is. I'm not really sure he's that much better a prospect than Jones. More hyped sure, but due to circumstances as much as anything.

conner01

Reaction score

Many nfl players can't walk away. If manning had been wanted in Denver he might not have walked away. Many end up with other teams because they think they can still play, and some can. Romo is not retiring anytime soon, but I think two or three years tony will either be pushed out or retire. At some point every guy is going to get caught up with by time or talent. Some walk away from the game, some walk away from the team

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Bingo, we all want Romo to get his championship. But, I would love to see what young QB with a strong arm could do in this offense. I remember how fun it was to watch a young Tony Romo coming off the bench. The future was bright then, Love to see the Cowboys draft a QB at 4.

It was horrible watching this team struggle to find a QB after Aikman.

Just so you know I am not throwing the towel in on Romo. I still think he can be very productive for the Cowboys but I would love to get a QB working behind him so that the Cowboys are prepared for life after Romo and not forced to scramble for a replacement. I think getting a young and talented QB to sit and learn would keep the Cowboys window of opportunity open a lot longer.

LittleD

Reaction score
Many nfl players can't walk away. If manning had been wanted in Denver he might not have walked away. Many end up with other teams because they think they can still play, and some can. Romo is not retiring anytime soon, but I think two or three years tony will either be pushed out or retire. At some point every guy is going to get caught up with by time or talent. Some walk away from the game, some walk away from the team

Jerry has invested a bunch of capital and chips in the Romo era. He is going to give him every chance to win the big one if Tony's
skills keep him functioning well with the offense. If he gets like Manning and can't throw the ball, then Jerry will move on just like
they did with Ware.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Finding 1st round talent has never been a big worry for me as a Cowboys fan. Sure, we got out Bobby Carpenter's and Mo Claiborne's, but we also got our Ware's, Tyron's, Dez's, Frederick's, etc. Even Felix was a dynamic player that was hamstrung by poor coaching and use of him as a player.

However, I wouldn't assume that just because we draft a QB that it's very likely he'll be a good one because of our past history with 1st rounders.

I think the issue the Cowboys need to resolve is to look at each QB from a down the road perspective. Looking at their ability to go right now is rather pointless with Romo at QB. But, if you like a QB with 1-3 years after sitting on the bench, then pull the trigger.

YR

conner01

Reaction score
Jerry has invested a bunch of capital and chips in the Romo era. He is going to give him every chance to win the big one if Tony's
skills keep him functioning well with the offense. If he gets like Manning and can't throw the ball, then Jerry will move on just like
they did with Ware.

I agree
Just curious if romo will be one who walks away or be one forced to walk away.

LittleD

Reaction score
I agree
Just curious if romo will be one who walks away or be one forced to walk away.

I'm pretty sure the existing coaching staff in conjunction with the FO will make the decision like
they did with Ware & Aikman. Romo will decide after the decision if there is still a market for
his skills like Ware & Aikman.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Former NFL defensive co-ordinator basically saying Ramsey is stiff. Basically he's far away from the perfect prospect people are saying he is. I'm not really sure he's that much better a prospect than Jones. More hyped sure, but due to circumstances as much as anything.

It's some of these reports that would make Ramsey a big gamble for the Cowboys because they need a corner and no one is sure if he can play corner in the NFL. If a player can't do one thing exceptionally well then they're not the perfect prospect. The Cowboys drafted Jones last season hoping he could play corner with Mo going bust but most felt he would be better suited at safety matching up against TEs and it appears safety is what he's going to play in 2016. The Cowboys won't touch Ramsey if they have doubts about his ability to lockdown on a WR and play corner. A lockdown corner is what most teams are looking for with the 4th overall pick. Ramsey would be a huge mistake for the Cowboys if he can't play corner.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
...Even if the Cowboys did take a quarterback, the reality is that Romo's not going anywhere for a while: his contract is unmoveable, either via trade, release, or retirement. Thanks to past contractual missteps and desperate maneuverings to clear out cap space, the Cowboys have needed to restructure Romo's deal twice to convert his base salary into signing bonuses, pushing the cap hit for those deals into the future. That leaves Romo with massive cap hits on the Dallas roster, regardless of whether the Cowboys keep him or get rid of him:

CAP-HIT-ROMO ONROSTER
ROMO/TRADED/RELEASED/RETIRED/
ROMO RELEASED ASPOST-JUNE 1 CUT
2016/$20.8m/$31.9m/$12.3m
2017/$24.7m/$19.6m/$10.7m
2018/$25.2m/$8.9m/$5.7m

If the Cowboys cut Romo as a post-June 1 release, they would absorb the remaining dead money on their cap the following year; in other words, if the Cowboys cut Romo as a post-June 1 release before the 2017 season, they would owe $10.7 million on their cap in 2017 and the other $8.9 million in 2018. Dallas already has $146.9 million on their cap in 2017, the second-highest figure in football behind Philadelphia, so leaving even $12.7 million in dead money on their cap would be disastrous.

In reality, the earliest the Cowboys can move on from Romo -- assuming that they don't restructure his deal again -- is 2018. They could turn Romo into the most expensive backup QB in the history of pro football, but that's probably not going to happen, either. So if the Cowboys draft a passer, you have to assume that he'll spend a minimum of two seasons serving as a backup and injury replacement before stepping in as the full-time starter in 2018...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2016/st...16-nfl-draft-quarterback-instant-impact-piece

This is the reality.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
they did with Ware.

The problem there is that we are coming up on three years removed from Ware and we still have not replaced him. You can survive that with a DE but you can't survive that at QB. This is why QB is far and away the most important position on the field, as you well know.

If you wait two or three seasons on a QB, you are really talking about 5 or 6 seasons before you are in a position to challenge for a Super Bowl, if you are lucky. That would be another generation of drafts wasted. By that time, you have a lot of the talent we have today gone.

LittleD

Reaction score
The problem there is that we are coming up on three years removed from Ware and we still have not replaced him. You can survive that with a DE but you can't survive that at QB. This is why QB is far and away the most important position on the field, as you well know.

If you wait two or three seasons on a QB, you are really talking about 5 or 6 seasons before you are in a position to challenge for a Super Bowl, if you are lucky. That would be another generation of drafts wasted. By that time, you have a lot of the talent we have today gone.

I hear and comprehend what you're saying...Now all you have to do is call Jerry and Stephen up and make your case... Good Luck!

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I hear and comprehend what you're saying...Now all you have to do is call Jerry and Stephen up and make your case... Good Luck!

I don't think I have to do that. I think they know and hear it. Contrary to what many on this board may believe, I don't think they are stupid people. I think that Jerry knows and understands the value of a starting QB. Now, if they evaluate the QBs the way others do, that's a different story.

LittleD

Reaction score
I don't think I have to do that. I think they know and hear it. Contrary to what many on this board may believe, I don't think they are stupid people. I think that Jerry knows and understands the value of a starting QB. Now, if they evaluate the QBs the way others do, that's a different story.

I can only say that actions speak louder than words at least in their case. We've been yelling QB for a few years now and they've only
drafted one QB in the last 7-8 years and that was in the 4th round I think. Jerry has told us he expects Romo to play another 4-5 years
whether he actually believes it or not. If he believes it, he does not value or agree with our wishes for the majority of this board or
his fandom.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I can only say that actions speak louder than words at least in their case. We've been yelling QB for a few years now and they've only
drafted one QB in the last 7-8 years and that was in the 4th round I think. Jerry has told us he expects Romo to play another 4-5 years
whether he actually believes it or not. If he believes it, he does not value or agree with our wishes for the majority of this board or
his fandom.

No, he doesn't. And to be honest, he is probably wise to take that approach. Heck, I don't even agree with lots of fans on this board and I know you guys way better then Jerry does. However, I have to believe that Jerry is interested in the future of this organization and further, he is concerned about the QB spot. Now, as to the question of if he is a good judge of talent at the QB position, that's all together different.

Remember, if we can believe the reports we've heard and read, Jerry had to be talked down from the ledge on the Johnny Football pass. Jerry knows we need a QB to replace Tony and he's been aware of it for some time now. If he hadn't, he would never have wanted to draft Manziel.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
Very true as to the need for a QB in round 1. As true as the stubble on ol' Merle Haggard's face.
Say, mates, is Merle a usual name for a man?

The name reached its peak in popularity (ranked 170th) in the US for males in 1918 (it is also a feminine name, but not as commonly used as for males). I also believe it was a more common name in the southern US as compared to other regions. The name dropped off the "popularity chart" in the late 70's. :)

Last edited:

LittleD

Reaction score
No, he doesn't. And to be honest, he is probably wise to take that approach. Heck, I don't even agree with lots of fans on this board and I know you guys way better then Jerry does. However, I have to believe that Jerry is interested in the future of this organization and further, he is concerned about the QB spot. Now, as to the question of if he is a good judge of talent at the QB position, that's all together different.

Remember, if we can believe the reports we've heard and read, Jerry had to be talked down from the ledge on the Johnny Football pass. Jerry knows we need a QB to replace Tony and he's been aware of it for some time now. If he hadn't, he would never have wanted to draft Manziel.

True...True. I know he thought Manziel was the next Aikman (Not) and we know how that turned out. Even if we did draft a QB high this year,
does anyone on this board think that this particular coaching staff could develop him??? I'm not all that sure. The last QB that was developed
was Romo and that was under the Parcells regime.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
True...True. I know he thought Manziel was the next Aikman (Not) and we know how that turned out. Even if we did draft a QB high this year,
does anyone on this board think that this particular coaching staff could develop him??? I'm not all that sure. The last QB that was developed
was Romo and that was under the Parcells regime.

Well, it's true, we don't know. However, we do know this. No matter what else we do on either side of the ball, without a QB, we can't win. We have to have somebody who can be our Franchise QB when Tony is done. If you go FA for a QB, that is so stupid expensive that you almost limit yourself to what you can do with the rest of the roster. I understand the concern but I don't see as we have much choice in the matter and that sucks but that's pretty much the deal.