CFZ If this team fizzles again-the off-season was a big reason

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Three games left. And the Cowboys are swooning in the same manner they did as last year. There’s plenty of blame to go around. Players, coaching staff, culture, etc. The usual suspects around here.

But if this team craters in the same manner as last year, I place a majority of the blame on the completely unaccountable front office who looks at the off season as a vacation on the yacht and looking at Will McClay’s scouting binders to select players for the draft.

While the GMs of teams winning playoff games are focused on winning now, Stephen Jones is focused on next years cap.

Our drafts have improved, but the use of Free agency to get better has not. The teams getting better in the off-season are led by young aggressive GMs whose jobs are on the line.

Hate to say it…but our chief divisional rival had a great off season. Their GM is the young and aggressive Howie Roseman. He had a fundamental understanding of what his team needed to get better. Look at his off-season moves compared to ours:
  • Roseman hired the young and aggressive Nick Sirianni as HC in 2021.
  • Roseman acquired WR AJ Brown in a trade, recognizing Jalen Hurts needed help to develop into a better passer. (Our FO cut Amari Cooper and replaced him with 3rd rd pick Jalen Tolbert, cheap FA James Washington- combined have 2 catches- both by Tolbert)
  • Roseman saw THIS SEASON as their year to make bold moves. (Stephen Jones is always worried about next year’s cap)
  • Roseman acquired LB Haason Reddick, an underrated player who has upgraded the eagles defense.(We signed DE Dante Fowler for a lot less- he has had almost zero impact)
  • In season, Roseman acquired Ndomincan Suh to upgrade their run defense (We acquired DT Jonathan Hankins for a 7th round pick. Not exactly bold.)
This could go on and on. The players, coaches and culture share some blame in Big D for underperforming. But it’s way more than that. The front offices of the better teams this year spent the off season saying, “We want to win now- what bold moves can we make?” Our front office says, “We want to win now BUT- we don’t want to hurt our cap for next year.”

cnuball21

Reaction score
Needs and concerns in the offseason:

- Swing OT
- WR
- DT

Current needs and concerns:

- Swing OT
- WR
- DT
- CB (due to injury)

Yea, complete whiff in this offseason. I’d argue we subtracted instead of added.

Centex

Reaction score
Dallas has been unable to stop the run for many, many years yet they refuse to address it.

They also have had year after year of bottom of the barrel offensive play calling. I just can’t understand putting together a potentially dominant offense and turning it over to somebody learning on the job.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

- Swing OT
- WR
- DT

- Swing OT
- WR
- DT
- CB (due to injury)

Yea, complete whiff in this offseason. I’d argue we subtracted instead of added.
And when your two big FO people have deals for life- regardless of results- there’s no urgency to win NOW. Anyone saying Jerry and Stephen want to win I just respond by saying, “Not bad enough to make the necessary changes.” They never learn from their mistakes because they don’t have to.

cnuball21

Reaction score
And when your two big FO people have deals for life- regardless of results- there’s no urgency to win NOW. Anyone saying Jerry and Stephen want to win I just respond by saying, “Not bad enough to make the necessary changes.” They never learn from their mistakes because they don’t have to.

Nope. I’ve leveled my expectations knowing that as long as the Jones run the show we have a very low chance of a super bowl run.

Cowboys93

Reaction score
I’ll give credit for Dallas nailing this draft because it could be a lot worse than it is now tbh. Maybe it was luck. Who cares at this point lol

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Three games left. And the Cowboys are swooning in the same manner they did as last year. There’s plenty of blame to go around. Players, coaching staff, culture, etc. The usual suspects around here.

But if this team craters in the same manner as last year, I place a majority of the blame on the completely unaccountable front office who looks at the off season as a vacation on the yacht and looking at Will McClay’s scouting binders to select players for the draft.

While the GMs of teams winning playoff games are focused on winning now, Stephen Jones is focused on next years cap.

Our drafts have improved, but the use of Free agency to get better has not. The teams getting better in the off-season are led by young aggressive GMs whose jobs are on the line and

Hate to say it…but our chief divisional rival had a great off season. Their GM is the young and aggressive Howie Roseman. He had a fundamental understanding of what his team needed to get better. Look at his off-season moves compared to ours:
  • Roseman acquired WR AJ Brown in a trade, recognizing Jalen Hurts needed help to develop into a better passer. (Our FO cut Amari Cooper and replaced him with 3rd rd pick Jalen Tolbert, cheap FA James Washington- combined have 2 catches- both by Tolbert)
  • Roseman saw THIS SEASON as their year to make bold moves. (Stephen Jones is always worried about next year’s cap)
  • Roseman acquired LB Haason Reddick, an underrated player who has upgraded the eagles defense.(We signed DE Dante Fowler for a lot less- he has had almost zero impact)
  • In season, Roseman acquired Ndomincan Suh to upgrade their run defense (We acquired DT Jonathan Hankins for a 7th round pick. Not exactly bold.)
This could go on and on. The players, coaches and culture share some blame in Big D for underperforming. But it’s way more than that. The front offices of the better teams this year spent the off season saying, “We want to win now- what bold moves can we make?” Our front office says, “We want to win now BUT- we don’t want to hurt our cap for next year.”
Perfectly said....as usual. :hammer:

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score
The truth in all this hurts. I've invested an exceeding lot of emotional capital into my Cowboys over the 5+ decades I've watched them. It is wearing on me. And when I say "it" I specifically mean the philosophy of trying to skate by on the cheap but also the meddlesome and distracting narratives that Jerry fantasizes to the press.

Just notice the team's swoon has happened as OBJ has continuously been on Jerry's lips. This is not coincidence IMO. This has sent an underlying message to the team that they don't quite have enough to get over the being a champion hump. The distraction and impedance to championship football is huge. Also as all this has gone down (the last few games with the OBJ narrative) notice that Gallup has disappeared as an impact player. This team is a dog chasing its tail.

There are no coincidences.

And to you long-time fans . . . does the quality of Dak's play remind you any of the quality and type of Craig Morton's play? Yeah, that same Craig Morton who was not a real crunch time player and known to be indecisive, mistake prone, and not a champion. Yeah, that same one whom our defense in SB XII used these same qualities to humiliate the Denver Donkeys.

Make no mistake either that the defense is pretty culpable in the mess!

I'm beyond flustered today as I look back on this game and the direction this team is going in.

Bad weekend as my HS team lost its State Championship Friday night at Jerry World and now the Cows pull this flop! ******!

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Our drafts have improved, but the use of Free agency to get better has not. The teams getting better in the off-season are led by young aggressive GMs whose jobs are on the line and

You deserve 1000 likes Bob
We have amateurs running our front office.
Puts us at a severe competitive disadvantage.

rambo2

Reaction score
What I hate the most is hearing our fat favorite son Executive VP wax on about “staying within the cap for future years” while teams passing us on the highway are saying, “Cap? We want to win NOW.”
What if they don't fizzle?

Aven8

Reaction score
We actually have the exact same record as we did last season currently. And that’s with losing Amari, Collins, and Ced.

Having said that Philly going and getting AJ Brown was the best offseason move maybe ever. He has totally changed that team and if I’m a Titans fan? I’m pissed.

The move to get Joseph and Suh was another awesome get in season for nothing. Howie should win GM of the year. And it’s disgusting!

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

- Swing OT
- WR
- DT

- Swing OT
- WR
- DT
- CB (due to injury)

We substrated for sure.
Cooper and Gregory were good players we lost for peanuts.