CFZ If this team fizzles again-the off-season was a big reason

Ken

Reaction score
The best part is the scramble we witnessed to sign Peters, Hankins and TY.

It’s the Jones admitting their incompetence but the problem is a bunch of has beens doesn’t move the needle.
OH, ok. So grabbing solid Vets is a problem now?

When the Eagles run out and make a bunch of moves to fill holes they are lauded as "doing what needs to be done to improve their team".

Some of you guys are just too jaded and need to relax.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Offseason Needs:

- RB (pending Pollard's UFA)
- CB
- LB
- DL
- WR (pending Beckham possible signing)
- OL depth

Yea. And we’ll do 0 significant moves to fill these needs in FA. I take that back…well probably overpay OBJ who is out of his prime coming off a 2nd major knee injury.

cnuball21

Reaction score
OH, ok. So grabbing solid Vets is a problem now?

When the Eagles run out and make a bunch of moves to fill holes they are lauded as "doing what needs to be done to improve their team".

Some of you guys are just too jaded and need to relax.

I’m all about signing good vets.Wish we did more.

The Eagles signed players that are actually still good and could make an impact. We signed a bunch of old dudes not even close to being in their prime anymore.

quickccc

Reaction score
Yea. And we’ll do 0 significant moves to fill these needs in FA. I take that back…well probably overpay OBJ who is out of his prime coming off a 2nd major knee injury.

yeh Beckham is/would be a durability question. But the plus side is at top form and healthy, he's an elite WR with an alpha male mentality.
Something that 20 million per year Amari Cooper just did not have.

And going after an elite status WR like Beckham, like a " middle ground " stud is something that's unusual with Stephen " Moneyball " Jones.
Because of that alone, i'll take what i can get.

cnuball21

Reaction score
yeh Beckham is/would be a durability question. But the plus side is at top form and healthy, he's an elite WR with an alpha male mentality.

And going after an elite status WR like Beckham, like a " middle ground " stud is something that's unusual with Stephen " Moneyball " Jones.

OBJ hasn’t been elite in 5/6 years.

If we sign him we’re not getting that kind of player.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
And when your two big FO people have deals for life- regardless of results- there’s no urgency to win NOW. Anyone saying Jerry and Stephen want to win I just respond by saying, “Not bad enough to make the necessary changes.” They never learn from their mistakes because they don’t have to.

They don't want to win as bad as you or I do. The proof is in their actions.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The last 3 seasons he played, OBJ has avg 3 receptions for 38 yards. He averages 4 TDs a season in those last 3 seasons. He hasn’t had a double digit TD season in 5 years. He’s 30 and following 2 knee surgeries. He’s not at all what he used to be. His reputation exceeds his performance.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Won't matter who they do or don't sign.

It's a poorly coached football team. Near the bottom in penalties, inexplicable playcalling, on both sides of the ball, lack of discipline all across the board. Having enough talent isn't this team's problem. Just go back a few years. 3 all-pro, potentially HOF caliber offensive linemen, yet when it mattered, we couldn't run the ball and win a playoff game.

The coaching is bad because the GM is bad. MM doesn't lead this team, Jerry & Steven Jones do. The players don't respond to coaching, don't really respect their coaches, because they know they aren't in charge. The players know what Jimmy Johnson said years ago is true: the real HC is Jerry Jones. Doesn't matter how many good players McClay drafts, this isn't like baseball used to be where Jerry & Steven Steinbrenner can buy enough high-powered players to win a title. If the Cowboys had, for example, signed Reddick, it wouldn't make a huge difference. Because this is a poorly-constructed ship, it will always spring a leak somewhere else, which guarantees come January, it will sink. 27 years of history says this isn't debatable.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
I’ll give credit for Dallas nailing this draft because it could be a lot worse than it is now tbh. Maybe it was luck. Who cares at this point lol
They are picking from among the best players on earth. You could throw darts at a board the first couple of rounds and get some players.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Three games left. And the Cowboys are swooning in the same manner they did as last year. There’s plenty of blame to go around. Players, coaching staff, culture, etc. The usual suspects around here.

But if this team craters in the same manner as last year, I place a majority of the blame on the completely unaccountable front office who looks at the off season as a vacation on the yacht and looking at Will McClay’s scouting binders to select players for the draft.

While the GMs of teams winning playoff games are focused on winning now, Stephen Jones is focused on next years cap.

Our drafts have improved, but the use of Free agency to get better has not. The teams getting better in the off-season are led by young aggressive GMs whose jobs are on the line and

Hate to say it…but our chief divisional rival had a great off season. Their GM is the young and aggressive Howie Roseman. He had a fundamental understanding of what his team needed to get better. Look at his off-season moves compared to ours:
  • Roseman hired the young and aggressive Nick Sirianni as HC in 2021.
  • Roseman acquired WR AJ Brown in a trade, recognizing Jalen Hurts needed help to develop into a better passer. (Our FO cut Amari Cooper and replaced him with 3rd rd pick Jalen Tolbert, cheap FA James Washington- combined have 2 catches- both by Tolbert)
  • Roseman saw THIS SEASON as their year to make bold moves. (Stephen Jones is always worried about next year’s cap)
  • Roseman acquired LB Haason Reddick, an underrated player who has upgraded the eagles defense.(We signed DE Dante Fowler for a lot less- he has had almost zero impact)
  • In season, Roseman acquired Ndomincan Suh to upgrade their run defense (We acquired DT Jonathan Hankins for a 7th round pick. Not exactly bold.)
This could go on and on. The players, coaches and culture share some blame in Big D for underperforming. But it’s way more than that. The front offices of the better teams this year spent the off season saying, “We want to win now- what bold moves can we make?” Our front office says, “We want to win now BUT- we don’t want to hurt our cap for next year.”
They do...and many so called fans can't wait to pounce on it....we aren't dead yet, body isn't even getting cold yet and the so called fans that are truly haters are already squawking....you all make me sick!

quickccc

Reaction score
The last 3 seasons he played, OBJ has avg 3 receptions for 38 yards. He averages 4 TDs a season in those last 3 seasons. He hasn’t had a double digit TD season in 5 years. He’s 30 and following 2 knee surgeries. He’s not at all what he used to be. His reputation exceeds his performance.

i always tell people why i don't go off pure stats, because it can be too misleading... i see what the circumstances about and around him first.

i go about his source and system first, i go about eyeball test and what i am
seeing him one on one ..if he is subdued and limited, how much is it the coverage CB,..how much is it the starting QB ..or backup QB ?

Aftershock

Reaction score
Three games left. And the Cowboys are swooning in the same manner they did as last year. There’s plenty of blame to go around. Players, coaching staff, culture, etc. The usual suspects around here.

But if this team craters in the same manner as last year, I place a majority of the blame on the completely unaccountable front office who looks at the off season as a vacation on the yacht and looking at Will McClay’s scouting binders to select players for the draft.

While the GMs of teams winning playoff games are focused on winning now, Stephen Jones is focused on next years cap.

Our drafts have improved, but the use of Free agency to get better has not. The teams getting better in the off-season are led by young aggressive GMs whose jobs are on the line and

Hate to say it…but our chief divisional rival had a great off season. Their GM is the young and aggressive Howie Roseman. He had a fundamental understanding of what his team needed to get better. Look at his off-season moves compared to ours:
  • Roseman acquired WR AJ Brown in a trade, recognizing Jalen Hurts needed help to develop into a better passer. (Our FO cut Amari Cooper and replaced him with 3rd rd pick Jalen Tolbert, cheap FA James Washington- combined have 2 catches- both by Tolbert)
  • Roseman saw THIS SEASON as their year to make bold moves. (Stephen Jones is always worried about next year’s cap)
  • Roseman acquired LB Haason Reddick, an underrated player who has upgraded the eagles defense.(We signed DE Dante Fowler for a lot less- he has had almost zero impact)
  • In season, Roseman acquired Ndomincan Suh to upgrade their run defense (We acquired DT Jonathan Hankins for a 7th round pick. Not exactly bold.)
This could go on and on. The players, coaches and culture share some blame in Big D for underperforming. But it’s way more than that. The front offices of the better teams this year spent the off season saying, “We want to win now- what bold moves can we make?” Our front office says, “We want to win now BUT- we don’t want to hurt our cap for next year.”
Jalen Hurts is on a rookie deal. We can't be aggressive.
As dumb as the Jones' appear to be, they definitely know how to manage the cap, finances, etc.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Don't forget that Roseman is also the one who rebuilt the Chip Kelly mess into a super bowl champ. Howie is lapping the Jones boys.