CFZ If this team fizzles again-the off-season was a big reason

lukemartin79

Reaction score
Yup. Being a business genius doesn’t mean you are also a football genius.
Very true, only an egomaniac thinks that because he's successful in one area that he will be in every area. Unfortunately the Cowboys are owned by an egomaniac. Instead of just being the owner and finding a football person to run his football team and standing back and let that person do what they do best - Jones thinks he can do in football what he did in business. We all saw what happens when he is just the owner and a real football guy, Jimmy, handled the football end. That was the only time this team operated properly and the results were fantastic. But Jimmy got too much credit and glory and he wants that all for himself- to feed his egomania.

reddyuta

Reaction score
let's call it what it is,the eagles think they will win the super bowl.the Jones just say they have a SB team but never make any moves to support that.

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score
Great post. The comparison to the Eagles shows what a clown show the Cowboys are, and we have the results to prove it. And your list of aggressive/productive moves Roseman made could be twice as long at least, all while Jerry does nothing. And it will continue this way as you KNOW Howie is going to flip that Saints pick into some kind of killer return (e.g., 2 first rounders, etc.).

cristglo

Reaction score
The part so frustrating is in the past we have seen FA sign with another team for some cheap amount. With what JJ was willing to give OBJ we could have had Vonn Miller.
I keep going back to the Jones statement they made after losing out on Gregory.
Does anyone remember them saying we got two good players for the price of one? I know that Vonn got hurt but that doesn't mean he would have gotten hurt here. He could have been a difference in some of our losses. Just don't know.

When our run game was exposed WHY didn't we kick the tires on Suh?
Im not saying that the Jones doesn't do anything good for this team. Will Clay has been good in the draft evaluation. You cant hit on everyone but he has brought us some talent to build off of you cannot just rely on the draft you have to be good in FA also something they have NOT learned.
They also seem to ignore certain areas like remember how long till we got a good Safety in here? Seems we are doing the same thing with DT. IMO
Most of our inept play is due to injuries and that is something you can't foresee
Some of this could have been avoided.

CCBoy

Reaction score
This team has no excuse for not showing very strong in the post season play. If it doesn't or even one and done, then their core function is little more than rotten. It will be dysfunctional all the way to Jerry.

Either wear 'big boy' pants...or just talk on, Jerry on down.

Do it now, or just shut up!

RonnieT24

Reaction score
For me it isn't "if" but "when." This team is not built for the postseason .. That's why I have stayed away from this thread. I firmly believe the Cowboys offense is the best scouted offense in the league. Defensive players have been telling us for years that they know what is coming from the Cowboys by alignment and down and distance. And they have shown that they can induce the Cowboys into audibling to the plays the defense wants them to run simply by showing certain looks pre-snap. With that being the case, in order for a play to be successful every offensive player has to win his matchup. In some cases the play might succeed even without everybody winning because someone, Zeke, TP, CeeDee, Dak or whoever simply goes ham... But when you get to the playoffs the guys on the other side are too good to allow that to happen a lot. The 90's Cowboys were so good across the board they could beat even good teams even if the defense knew what was coming. This team aint the 90's Cowboys.

The other thing holding this team back from being a good postseason team is I believe the OC does not understand playoff football in the least. It's either him or the quarterback and since the quarterback has openly professed a long standing belief that his OC is a "genius" I'm going to continue to believe that the idiotic play calling is more a function of what the OC is sending in than the QB audibling to the wrong thing. Until that OC is gone I have refused to allow myself any hope that this team ever makes a deep playoff run. I felt the same way about Garrett/Romo until the end of 2013.. At the end of 2013 I thought Romo took control of the offense away from Garrett and was basically acting as his own OC.. That continued into 2014 and 2015.. The Cowboys were 15-4 with Romo starting over that span. 16-5 if you count playoffs. During that span Romo learned how to run the ball to protect his defense and how to NOT turn the ball over. He was able to reign in his inner gunslinger and command and orchestrate the game. If Moore is not fired we have to count on Dak to reach that point in his development before we can get our hopes up for any postseason success. Mind you it took Romo until year 10 to get there... Let's hope Dak gets there a couple of years sooner..

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Just saw that our WRs as a unit are 32nd in separation which is why Dak is #1 in tight window throws. The whole world knew WR was going to be a problem and the data shows it’s a huge problem so how did our GM not know it was going to be a problem? Houston we have a problem.

He may have known, just didn't care enough to act on it. You can get away with that if you have a lifetime, can't be fired job at the GM position.

ksadler1

Reaction score
Three games left. And the Cowboys are swooning in the same manner they did as last year. There’s plenty of blame to go around. Players, coaching staff, culture, etc. The usual suspects around here.

But if this team craters in the same manner as last year, I place a majority of the blame on the completely unaccountable front office who looks at the off season as a vacation on the yacht and looking at Will McClay’s scouting binders to select players for the draft.

While the GMs of teams winning playoff games are focused on winning now, Stephen Jones is focused on next years cap.

Our drafts have improved, but the use of Free agency to get better has not. The teams getting better in the off-season are led by young aggressive GMs whose jobs are on the line.

Hate to say it…but our chief divisional rival had a great off season. Their GM is the young and aggressive Howie Roseman. He had a fundamental understanding of what his team needed to get better. Look at his off-season moves compared to ours:
  • Roseman hired the young and aggressive Nick Sirianni as HC in 2021.
  • Roseman acquired WR AJ Brown in a trade, recognizing Jalen Hurts needed help to develop into a better passer. (Our FO cut Amari Cooper and replaced him with 3rd rd pick Jalen Tolbert, cheap FA James Washington- combined have 2 catches- both by Tolbert)
  • Roseman saw THIS SEASON as their year to make bold moves. (Stephen Jones is always worried about next year’s cap)
  • Roseman acquired LB Haason Reddick, an underrated player who has upgraded the eagles defense.(We signed DE Dante Fowler for a lot less- he has had almost zero impact)
  • In season, Roseman acquired Ndomincan Suh to upgrade their run defense (We acquired DT Jonathan Hankins for a 7th round pick. Not exactly bold.)
This could go on and on. The players, coaches and culture share some blame in Big D for underperforming. But it’s way more than that. The front offices of the better teams this year spent the off season saying, “We want to win now- what bold moves can we make?” Our front office says, “We want to win now BUT- we don’t want to hurt our cap for next year.”

The GMs of the contending teams treat the whole year as the "off season." They are constantly shuffling players in and out. We are going on 30 years of disappointment. Let that sick in. Jimmy Johnson was way ahead of the times back in the 90s. He was already doing the things needed to be successful that the successful teams today are doing. Too bad Jerry didn't learn anything from him...

mahoneybill

Reaction score
What I hate the most is hearing our fat favorite son Executive VP wax on about “staying within the cap for future years” while teams passing us on the highway are saying, “Cap? We want to win NOW.”

The cowboys brand is worth a lot. The cap shouldn’t be a “ money reason”.

The Jones are living off of the legacy of Landry/Johnson.

Been a fan since the 60’s so know the difference between getting close, and wandering in the promised land, which we have done for the last 20 plus years.

Getting a very fortuitous turnover, and then not being able to simply pick up a first down to run out the clock and win the game inexcusable and very indicative of the “ fools gold” being pursued by the Jones....

mahoneybill

Reaction score
The part so frustrating is in the past we have seen FA sign with another team for some cheap amount. With what JJ was willing to give OBJ we could have had Vonn Miller.
I keep going back to the Jones statement they made after losing out on Gregory.
Does anyone remember them saying we got two good players for the price of one? I know that Vonn got hurt but that doesn't mean he would have gotten hurt here. He could have been a difference in some of our losses. Just don't know.

When our run game was exposed WHY didn't we kick the tires on Suh?
Im not saying that the Jones doesn't do anything good for this team. Will Clay has been good in the draft evaluation. You cant hit on everyone but he has brought us some talent to build off of you cannot just rely on the draft you have to be good in FA also something they have NOT learned.
They also seem to ignore certain areas like remember how long till we got a good Safety in here? Seems we are doing the same thing with DT. IMO
Most of our inept play is due to injuries and that is something you can't foresee
Some of this could have been avoided.

Will Clay should be promoted to GM and the Jones go sit in the owners box and just watch the games....

They have more than increased the value of the team from its initial purchase so why fixate on “ the cap"

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
For me it isn't "if" but "when." This team is not built for the postseason .. That's why I have stayed away from this thread. I firmly believe the Cowboys offense is the best scouted offense in the league. …

The other thing holding this team back from being a good postseason team is I believe the OC does not understand playoff football in the least. It's either him or the quarterback and since the quarterback has openly professed a long standing belief that his OC is a "genius" I'm going to continue to believe that the idiotic play calling is more a function of what the OC is sending in than the QB audibling to the wrong…….rs sooner..

Very valid point, OC doesn’t realize less is more , at situations. Situational foot ball is not his forte and for some reason Big Mac doesn’t want to overrule him. ( Jerry)

Like the Jags game we could have made it difficult for Jags to tie the game by taking time off the clock and use their timeout in the 3&10 snap , instead opted for low % long shot and gave the ball back without time out, the punt was not perfect too ( may be pressure ) , but that could have been avoided , if it was a simple toss and run or QB scarmble and ( even sack ) or a high percentage slant route, catch and run. Main objective on that play was to make Jags use their timeouts , if not why the heck we ran the 1st 2 downs , Go figure ???