If Trey Lance gets his rhythm, do the Cowboys roll the dice?

Rayman70

Reaction score
not this year, but maybe in 2 years. I think Dallas is about to sign dak to another short
extension for 2 years, which means he's here 3 years and that last year would be an out for each side. That makes sense for the club if they feel Lance might be ready by then. Just my thoughts. I personally think he's a back up, nothing more, but he is just 24 and raw. So, I been wrong before. I am pulling for the kid as a fan.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
It's funny how a certain group keeps telling us that Dak Prescott is the answer, yet we sit here 8 yes later without a championship.
They'll mock any other ideas, but they can't backup their claims that Dak is the answer. :facepalm:
Dak might not be the answer, but Lance certainly isn't.

exciter

Reaction score
When you know, you know.

You think they brought in Sam Darnold to be the emergency QB at for $5M?
Darnold’s contract was 1yr 4.5 million with a 1.5m signing bonus.
Lance contract was 4 yr 34m fully guaranteed with a 22m signing bonus. Roughly 11m dead cap space over the last two seasons.
Just the dead cap space for this season was double Darnolds.
Darnold was brought in as cheap insurance against Purdy being ready to play the opener due to the elbow.
The cheap insurance then commenced to beat out the 1st round pick with a value of 3!

Chasing6

Reaction score
Darnold’s contract was 1yr 4.5 million with a 1.5m signing bonus.
Lance contract was 4 yr 34m fully guaranteed with a 22m signing bonus. Roughly 11m dead cap space over the last two seasons.
Just the dead cap space for this season was double Darnolds.
Darnold was brought in as cheap insurance against Purdy being ready to play the opener due to the elbow.
The cheap insurance then commenced to beat out the 1st round pick with a value of 3!
I agree with your statement. Trance was QB3 before preseason.

If Trance beat out Jimmy G., what was the need to bring in Sam Darnold?

$3.5M was guaranteed, with incentives up to $11.5M for playing time. So Sam knew there was a chance he would be starting, if Purdy was hurt. Meaning Trance was not going to be number QB2.

Trance made $940,000 in year 3.

exciter

Reaction score
I agree with your statement. Trance was QB3 before preseason.

If Trance beat out Jimmy G., what was the need to bring in Sam Darnold?

$3.5M was guaranteed, with incentives up to $11.5M for playing time. So Sam knew there was a chance he would be starting, if Purdy was hurt. Meaning Trance was not going to be number QB2.

Trance made $940,000 in year 3.
His base was 940k , his cap hit included the 5.5m of his 22m signing bonus devided over 4yr!

Chasing6

Reaction score
His base was 940k , his cap hit included the 5.5m of his 22m signing bonus devided over 4yr!
Cap hit and what he made is not the same. He made $940,000 in year 3, significantly less.

Then was traded to avoid what we are paying this year.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No way Jose Keep Dak at all costs as I love those 3 and outs and FG after FG and let's not forget the great playoff embarrassments we have had with him at the helm.

My only fear is what will we do now that D.C. seems to be getting their act together and where will Dak find his garbage stats baby!!

Jarntt

Reaction score
Trey Lance looked pretty good in last week's outing, considering that he hasn't played in a couple of years. Sure he had some misses, but he showed a lot of potential. With playing time his initial rough patches should smooth out.
So the question is, should the Cowboys roll the dice and commit to Trey Lance as the future since they have a more than capable backup in Cooper Rush, who has proven he can win if needed? They could solve future salary cap issues before they happen by locking Lance down to a four or five year deal for less money than they are expecting to pay Dak.

T
he Cowboys really could have Trey Lance ready to start next season for a fraction of what they expect to be paying Dak, who has proven that he does not come through in crunch time.
I think the fans would support the change, and a happy fan base means more money for Jerry.

If they aren't going to commit to Lance, why have him?
Because he costs us $5.3M against the cap whether we keep him or cut him. Combine that with the fact that it would mean trading for him was a mistake and he is a Cowboy for at least this year. Let's just hope he improves enough to be active on game day and perhaps get some wildcat/short yardage snaps during games to earn that salary and take it from there

exciter

Reaction score
Cap hit and what he made is not the same. He made $940,000 in year 3, significantly less.

Then was traded to avoid what we are paying this year.
Lol,
So you think he just gave the 11m signing bonus for the last 2 years of that contract back?

Chasing6

Reaction score
Lol,
So you think he just gave the 11m signing bonus for the last 2 years of that contract back?
No I do not. Are you slow?

Signing bonus is paid when he signed. Hence the name.

Last year he was paid $940,000. That was it.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
It's funny how a certain group keeps telling us that Dak Prescott is the answer, yet we sit here 8 yes later without a championship.
They'll mock any other ideas, but they can't backup their claims that Dak is the answer. :facepalm:
You can’t convert the Dak-ophants. All you can do is keep your fingers crossed that team doesn’t extend Prescott.

Chasing6

Reaction score
There is not answer to overcome GM Jethro.