If Trey Lance gets his rhythm, do the Cowboys roll the dice?

Loso86

Reaction score
he didn't show anything in preseason #4 to say oh wow, this kid is got elite future ahead of him. he was awful this past game. he was meh in this game and everyone drooling going gaga over a QB whom if he was a 7th rounder people would already walk away.
You clearly watch football ball from a fans perspective and not a football players perspective lol and that's ok your not football technical. Just say that

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Eagles FO seems to be emulating the 49ers. Getting what they hope is a dynamic running back. It will come down to quarterback play. Same for the Cowboys. I suspect the NFCE will be more competitive than last year. Cowboys will be fine.
we ll see how it goes. i hope they are fine too, but i always come from the negative side. Not saying im right, just a show of where i think from.

pansophy

Reaction score
So Trey Lance is showing us something. He stands in and makes accurate throws with defenders in his face. He is mobile, and he has moxy.
Dak is becoming expendable.
I think Trey Lance could be one of the very best. The moxy he is showing can't be taught. That's something Dak will never have. And we have Cooper Rush.
I think the Cowboys should roll the dice and move on from Dak.
Trey Lance is a more athletic version of Dak at the beginning of his career. Same basic problems -- bad mechanics and footwork results in too many passes being high, low, and behind. Just like they did with Dak, defenses would clog the middle of the field and force Trey to throw to the outside and he would struggle.

Dak has been able to correct these issues over many seasons and become a solid QB. Why do I want to watch us go through that growing process again? Dak gets a season ending injury then sure I would roll the dice with Lance over Rush, and maybe that turns into the same kind of situation Dak found himself in when Romo got injured. But barring that, I'd rather Lance work through these issues as the 3rd QB. Maybe he turns into Dak's eventual replacement, get a compensation pick, or we can trade him for more than we traded him for.

But if we are talking about trying to win a Super Bowl any time soon Dak, even with his limitations (including cost), is our best shot.

leeblair

Reaction score
Trey Lance is a more athletic version of Dak at the beginning of his career. Same basic problems -- bad mechanics and footwork results in too many passes being high, low, and behind. Just like they did with Dak, defenses would clog the middle of the field and force Trey to throw to the outside and he would struggle.

Dak has been able to correct these issues over many seasons and become a solid QB. Why do I want to watch us go through that growing process again? Dak gets a season ending injury then sure I would roll the dice with Lance over Rush, and maybe that turns into the same kind of situation Dak found himself in when Romo got injured. But barring that, I'd rather Lance work through these issues as the 3rd QB. Maybe he turns into Dak's eventual replacement, get a compensation pick, or we can trade him for more than we traded him for.

But if we are talking about trying to win a Super Bowl any time soon Dak, even with his limitations (including cost), is our best shot.
Dak doesn't have the moxy or the instincts Lance has. Lance will stand in and deliver an accurate pass with defenders in his face or even hanging on him. The mentality Lance has can't be taught. That's what makes a great quarterback; someone who is born with the perspective of seeing the game differently from the average player.

GINeric

Reaction score
Name them, and we can look at their playoff records/CCG appearances before they made it over the hump.
No... you said he didn't win a championship. So are you switching to playoffs or winning a championship as previously stated???

GINeric

Reaction score
Thank you for making the case of why we don't pay CHOKOTA !!

Actually I made a case of other top quarterbacks who didn't win a championship in 7, 8 years. It's happened a few times before and a couple of quarterbacks it happened to actually made it into the HOF.

So what do you have to say about other quarterbacks who didn't win a championship in 7, 8 seasons and still got paid?

pansophy

Reaction score
Dak doesn't have the moxy or the instincts Lance has. Lance will stand in and deliver an accurate pass with defenders in his face or even hanging on him. The mentality Lance has can't be taught. That's what makes a great quarterback; someone who is born with the perspective of seeing the game differently from the average player.
He may have more upside than Dak. I’d still rather wait a few seasons for Trey to work through the physical parts of the game. It’s contract time for Dak, so if anybody thought Trey was close to ready we’d be letting Dak play out his last year and see where things are.

So my read is that coaches see the potential but he is going to need development time.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
No... you said he didn't win a championship. So are you switching to playoffs or winning a championship as previously stated???
I've been firm in my stance regarding his lack of playoff success for a couple of years now. Championships are important, but I wouldn't be opposed to signing him if he had a couple of CCG appearances. I'd sign him to that record contract if he took this team to the NFCCG this season without second thought. I've said as much several times. I think you're confusing me with someone else.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Trey Lance looked pretty good in last week's outing, considering that he hasn't played in a couple of years. Sure he had some misses, but he showed a lot of potential. With playing time his initial rough patches should smooth out.
So the question is, should the Cowboys roll the dice and commit to Trey Lance as the future since they have a more than capable backup in Cooper Rush, who has proven he can win if needed? They could solve future salary cap issues before they happen by locking Lance down to a four or five year deal for less money than they are expecting to pay Dak.

T
he Cowboys really could have Trey Lance ready to start next season for a fraction of what they expect to be paying Dak, who has proven that he does not come through in crunch time.
I think the fans would support the change, and a happy fan base means more money for Jerry.

If they aren't going to commit to Lance, why have him?
Lance makes the easy throws look hard and his passes down field are always off target, exposing his targets to injuries if he can't clean up that part of his game.

mardwin

Reaction score
I don't think he will ever find his rhythm. He doesn't like to survey a the field and once you play against elite defenses the will take his first read away.

These 2 games rationalizes the reason Lance was traded out of SF, he's light years behind Purdy. At this point in his career he should have the basics of the position down but he continues to struggle with the little things.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
The Dak lovers would snub their noses at Patty coming here, they don't want him to be threatened. The unbias reality is Trey cannot supplant Dak at this point, and the only way you even let him have the keys to the car is if Dak walks and there are no better options out there. Ya roll the dice and see if it comes up snake eyes, but he has to get into some actual game action this year to even have a guess

GINeric

Reaction score
I've been firm in my stance regarding his lack of playoff success for a couple of years now. Championships are important, but I wouldn't be opposed to signing him if he had a couple of CCG appearances. I'd sign him to that record contract if he took this team to the NFCCG this season without second thought. I've said as much several times. I think you're confusing me with someone else.

I have no problem with what you've stated, but we often forget that one man can't win Superbowls by themselves. Football is comprised of so many moving parts.

But if we're going to take the team aspect out of it. According to what you're saying, Trent Dilpher and Nick Foles should be paid bigger contracts than Dan Marino and Jim Kelly in today's market, correct?

Because Dilpher and Foles proved they were more clutch than Marino and Kelly because they win a championship and Marino and Kelly couldn't, correct?

As a matter of fact, Foles and Dilpher should be paid in the same max dollar bracket in today's market as Aaron Rodgers because they have the same amount of Superbowl rings as Rodgers, correct? According to your quarterback success measurement, right?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Lance has instincts? like instincts for missing wide open WRs and not see the field? instincts for throwing 5 yards over a WRs head on a simple fade?

way way way too funny.

do you think Lance wears a red cape under his uniform? is there a big S on his chess?

a legend is made from a pile of crap. what you gaga lance drooling fans won't do...

leeblair

Reaction score
Lance has instincts? like instincts for missing wide open WRs and not see the field? instincts for throwing 5 yards over a WRs head on a simple fade?

way way way too funny.

do you think Lance wears a red cape under his uniform? is there a big S on his chess?

a legend is made from a pile of crap. what you gaga lance drooling fans won't do...
Lance is already better than Dak.
Not because of his experience or his timing, but because he was born with abilities Dak will never have.

Retro88

Reaction score
Lance is already better than Dak.
Not because of his experience or his timing, but because he was born with abilities Dak will never have.
Your comment should only be replied to with the Billy Madison meme.

kevm3

Reaction score
Trey still needs development. Sign Dak to a 3 year contract and let Trey develop. Meanwhile, if a good candidate falls as qb in the draft, draft one