If Trey Lance gets his rhythm, do the Cowboys roll the dice?

calicowboy54

Reaction score
Trey Lance looked pretty good in last week's outing, considering that he hasn't played in a couple of years. Sure he had some misses, but he showed a lot of potential. With playing time his initial rough patches should smooth out.
So the question is, should the Cowboys roll the dice and commit to Trey Lance as the future since they have a more than capable backup in Cooper Rush, who has proven he can win if needed? They could solve future salary cap issues before they happen by locking Lance down to a four or five year deal for less money than they are expecting to pay Dak.

T
he Cowboys really could have Trey Lance ready to start next season for a fraction of what they expect to be paying Dak, who has proven that he does not come through in crunch time.
I think the fans would support the change, and a happy fan base means more money for Jerry.

If they aren't going to commit to Lance, why have him?
i think trey could be a lamar jackson/ collin kaperneck qb not ever pocket qb. he’s had 4 years to work on learning the qb position. dak went and got outside help his 1st year and has so since then. has lance done that. idk but if he has he needs to fire them or he just is a gimmick qb and nothing more.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Lance is already better than Dak.
Not because of his experience or his timing, but because he was born with abilities Dak will never have.
how? how is he better? 4 years and he can barely get on the field. 4 years and he throws 5 yards over WRs. 4 years and he misses wide open WRs, 4 times!

Lance was born a RB, trying to make him a QB is a mistake. Lance doesn't have the brains to play QB in this league

like I said, he is your Tashard Choice is better than Emmitt and Kellen Moore is a HOF QB....

starfan1

Reaction score
how? how is he better? 4 years and he can barely get on the field. 4 years and he throws 5 yards over WRs. 4 years and he misses wide open WRs, 4 times!

Lance was born a RB, trying to make him a QB is a mistake. Lance doesn't have the brains to play QB in this league

like I said, he is your Tashard Choice is better than Emmitt and Kellen Moore is a HOF QB....
when your stance is anybody but Dak you dont think straight! Of course said poster has a history of these things

leeblair

Reaction score

You guys make the same argument about Lance's lack of playing time and conveniently ignore the hierarchy of the NFL.
It's not always the best players who get the position, but more often than not it's who has the best contract.
You forget that Lance earned the starting spot in San Francisco and held it until a season ending injury. By the time he returned the 49'ers had moved on.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
You guys make the same argument about Lance's lack of playing time and conveniently ignore the hierarchy of the NFL.
It's not always the best players who get the position, but more often than not it's who has the best contract.
You forget that Lance earned the starting spot in San Francisco and held it until a season ending injury. By the time he returned the 49'ers had moved on.
what? in year 4. he has had 4 years sitting in a film room to study his craft. he has had 4 off seasons to work on his throwing motion and his accuracy. he can't do neither and needs another few years.

and getting the best contract is for finance dept. and fans who put their own opinion of what a player worth is and evaluate players based on dollars.

Lance was GIVEN the spot because he was 3rd over all pick. he got injured? cry me a river. what about after that, he was demoted very quickly behind a 7th round pick and a guy who failed and was dumped by his team. he couldn't even win the back up job. FACTS.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I think Lance has all the tools to be a top QB in this league yes. Rather he gets there with the right coaching, time and growth idk
I disagree. he may throw it a million miles, but there are 400 other QBs that have done that and did that and can do that.
he can run, but we don't want a RB. look at Jackson...had a 1000 yard rushing season and is 2-4 in playoffs.

he is not accurate. he can't read a defense. he afraid to make tight throws. he is not an elite NFL type QB. he is a good athlete. I give him that. but if that was the most important aspect of it, then all Decathlon athletes could become great NFL QBs.

Loso86

Reaction score
I disagree. he may throw it a million miles, but there are 400 other QBs that have done that and did that and can do that.
he can run, but we don't want a RB. look at Jackson...had a 1000 yard rushing season and is 2-4 in playoffs.

he is not accurate. he can't read a defense. he afraid to make tight throws. he is not an elite NFL type QB. he is a good athlete. I give him that. but if that was the most important aspect of it, then all Decathlon athletes could become great NFL QBs.
That's your opinion

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
That's your opinion
my opinion is much closer to facts and reality than the fantasy most of you live in.
this is not an emotional decision or evaluation as you all do because you are angry and hate Dak so you cling to anything.

Loso86

Reaction score
my opinion is much closer to facts and reality than the fantasy most of you live in.
this is not an emotional decision or evaluation as you all do because you are angry and hate Dak so you cling to anything.
Well again it's YOUR opinion and just because others don't agree makes it wrong or more off than YOURS lol you knownwhatnthey say about making assumptions! Lol thoughtni could have a normalized convo without you feeling superior in your thought and I was obviously wrong. Good day sir

Chasing6

Reaction score
Trey Lance looked pretty good in last week's outing, considering that he hasn't played in a couple of years. Sure he had some misses, but he showed a lot of potential. With playing time his initial rough patches should smooth out.
So the question is, should the Cowboys roll the dice and commit to Trey Lance as the future since they have a more than capable backup in Cooper Rush, who has proven he can win if needed? They could solve future salary cap issues before they happen by locking Lance down to a four or five year deal for less money than they are expecting to pay Dak.

T
he Cowboys really could have Trey Lance ready to start next season for a fraction of what they expect to be paying Dak, who has proven that he does not come through in crunch time.
I think the fans would support the change, and a happy fan base means more money for Jerry.

If they aren't going to commit to Lance, why have him?
They already rolled the dice by trading for him.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
lmao...stupid cowboy fans. My dog can beat up your dog!

Yeah, so emotional.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
No doubt Lance played better in game 2, but I wouldn't make any bets on a player just because he turned in 1 solid effort against mostly 2nd and 3rd string players in the preseason.

At this stage he may be be able to hold it down a game or 2 if called upon, but future starter? We should want to see much more before rolling more dice or backing such a bold statement.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Lance played 65 snaps in preseason with the 49ers last season and sucked so badly he lost the backup spot to Sam Darnold. He again demonstrated vs the Rams he’s light years from being ready to be a competent NFL Quarterback. But sure, if you can find someone desperate enough to offer a conditional 6th or 7th take it!
To be honest he lost the job even prior to the preseason. Sam Darnold was signed to almost guaranteed $5M before preseason started.

Shanahan had already made his decision as soon as Sam Darnold was signed.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Well again it's YOUR opinion and just because others don't agree makes it wrong or more off than YOURS lol you knownwhatnthey say about making assumptions! Lol thoughtni could have a normalized convo without you feeling superior in your thought and I was obviously wrong. Good day sir
well, some opinions are closer to reality than others. there is a difference. some are based on knowledge and facts. some are pulled deep from the behind.

good day to you. hope its a good one. wish you the best

exciter

Reaction score
To be honest he lost the job even prior to the preseason. Sam Darnold was signed to almost guaranteed $5M before preseason started.

Shanahan had already made his decision as soon as Sam Darnold was signed.
So the QB you dropped a measly 5m (QB money) on has more preference than the one you dropped 3 1st picks 2 seasons prior?
Takes a lot of stretching to believe that!
And the 9ers dead cap hit for Lance this season was 5.5m!

Chasing6

Reaction score
So the QB you dropped a measly 5m (QB money) on has more preference than the one you dropped 3 1st picks 2 seasons prior?
Takes a lot of stretching to believe that!
And the 9ers dead cap hit for Lance this season was 5.5m!
When you know, you know.

You think they brought in Sam Darnold to be the emergency QB at for $5M?