CFZ If Tyler Smith plays left tackle we will be able to run well behind him

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I do think based on his play at guard that we will be able to run well behind him. His power is very obvious, and that's going against tackles. Where he'll continue to have problems is with hand placement that will allow some of those speedy ends to escape and make stops in the backfield at times.

The hand placement issues will probably be particularly troublesome in pass protection. Top ends work all kinds of moves to get free and if your hand placement isn't good you'll either end up getting beaten or grabbing. When Tyler gets his hands right, I think he can lock out the DE the same way that Tyron does. He has shown that he has that kind of ability, along with the ability to reanchor and hold his ground. The question is how often top DEs are going to be able to cross up his hand placement, avoid his punch and cause him to lurch, etc.

I'm not expecting a Chaz Green level of fail if they end up starting Tyler at LT, but we should expect lots and lots of growing pains. That doesn't mean he eventually won't get there, because the talent is apparent, just that we might as well brace for a very bumpy learning curve if he's made the starter there. We already could see we were going to have one at LG, but LT puts him in space where it's harder to recover from your mistakes.

aikemirv

Reaction score
FO should bring in someone and leave the young pup where he is for his rookie season. Let him get his feet wet in the NFL before asking him to play LT. LT is arguably one of the toughest positions to play.
Well if McGovern was really starting at LG....

gimmesix

Reaction score
Well if McGovern was really starting at LG....

He wasn't. In the same article where McCarthy talked about that, he spoke of how he wanted him to play 10 to 12 snaps per game at fullback, jumbo TE and they even had him set to play center in Friday's game (which is something you'd want the interior swing player to be able to do).

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I do think based on his play at guard that we will be able to run well behind him. His power is very obvious, and that's going against tackles. Where he'll continue to have problems is with hand placement that will allow some of those speedy ends to escape and make stops in the backfield at times.

The hand placement issues will probably be particularly troublesome in pass protection. Top ends work all kinds of moves to get free and if your hand placement isn't good you'll either end up getting beaten or grabbing. When Tyler gets his hands right, I think he can lock out the DE the same way that Tyron does. He has shown that he has that kind of ability, along with the ability to reanchor and hold his ground. The question is how often top DEs are going to be able to cross up his hand placement, avoid his punch and cause him to lurch, etc.

I'm not expecting a Chaz Green level of fail if they end up starting Tyler at LT, but we should expect lots and lots of growing pains. That doesn't mean he eventually won't get there, because the talent is apparent, just that we might as well brace for a very bumpy learning curve if he's made the starter there. We already could see we were going to have one at LG, but LT puts him in space where it's harder to recover from your mistakes.
Great insights.
I hope we can sign a vet LT and leave Tyler at guard for now.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Sounds impossible
Martin has 6, just 6 career holding penalties
The only way any tackle has less is if he’s on the bench

What? You don't expect Tyler to have fewer than that?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I'm not expecting a Chaz Green level of fail if they end up starting Tyler at LT, but we should expect lots and lots of growing pains.

As long as he grows.

I'd rather spend the games developing our future/now LT than bringing in some veteran.

GMO415

Reaction score
He hasn't been practicing at that position. We're screwed.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I’d leave him at guard and sign a vet left tackle
Even then we’d have no viable swing tackle
To me you have to sign a vet either way so sign one who’s capable of being the starter
Show me the names.
Who are these vet LTs that are so readily available to start.

gimmesix

Reaction score
As long as he grows.

I'd rather spend the games developing our future/now LT than bringing in some veteran.

I'm not exactly with you. I'd rather we go get someone like Peters and give Smith a little more time to work on the fundamentals of hand placement before putting him out there. He can learn that while starting at LG, where mistakes are easier to overcome, and then switch to LT next year if he improves his fundamentals enough to where we can trust him at the position.

I'm just bracing for what I think they will do, not what I want them to do.