CFZ If Tyler Smith plays left tackle we will be able to run well behind him

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
terrible comp.. they have a competent front office. We do not.

Plus, anyone who thinks their fans haven't been upset about the injuries doesn't understand fans.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
How happy are you today buddy? Its like Xmas for you. The Cowboys offense just went in the toilet, Dak will struggle with bad blocking in front of him and your doom and gloom theory might just come true!!!!
Good teams can overcome these injuries, great QBs can carry the burden and still be successful.
Its way too early to already be making up excuses for Daks failures, maybe he proves to be an elite QB without the excuses.
Why do even the Dak slobberers already start making up the excuse because we lose a LT that we already knew was on his way out.
You dont think Dak knew it already by now?
Dak still has a very good offense, and its time for Dak to really show his true ability.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Good teams can overcome these injuries, great QBs can carry the burden and still be successful.
Its way too early to already be making up excuses for Daks failures, maybe he proves to be an elite QB without the excuses.
Why do even the Dak slobberers already start making up the excuse because we lose a LT that we already knew was on his way out.
You dont think Dak knew it already by now?
Dak still has a very good offense, and its time for Dak to really show his true ability.

bla…..nonsense.

mahomes could do diddly without 2 starting lineman.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
They made the playoffs and went 12-5. But can’t expect them to do much else. Unless defense will carry them.
Well now I will agree with you on this, losing your starting LT is never a good thing, but this team has the ability to overcome.
Im not going to sit and cry about this issue because we all already knew it was unavoidable.
You are right, its about having players like Turpin that come from nowhere and make a difference, I agree with you on that premice, but lets not all start crying about losing Tyron now, we all knew it was on the cusp.
This is no time for excuses, we are still in preseason.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
CC LT is on the table and a franchise priority now but outside of massive trade, Im not sure we address the loss, nobody is giving up a starting LT without a significant price, and I doubt even then at this point.
The best this franchise can do is be first in line for any OL talent that gets cut, we have room on this OL for any position.

Reactions: BAT

JBS

Reaction score
Tyler smith will not be the starting left tackle

Listen to all the comments from Jerry

it’s clear they’re going in a different direction

CCBoy

Reaction score
CC LT is on the table and a franchise priority now but outside of massive trade, Im not sure we address the loss, nobody is giving up a starting LT without a significant price, and I doubt even then at this point.
The best this franchise can do is be first in line for any OL talent that gets cut, we have room on this OL for any position.
Not looking good at all for the Cowboys' offense, except for returns.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Well now I will agree with you on this, losing your starting LT is never a good thing, but this team has the ability to overcome.
Im not going to sit and cry about this issue because we all already knew it was unavoidable.
You are right, its about having players like Turpin that come from nowhere and make a difference, I agree with you on that premice, but lets not all start crying about losing Tyron now, we all knew it was on the cusp.

Left tackle is the second most important position on offense after quarterback. There is no way to minimize losing Tyron Smith. No matter what your opinion is of Dak and his abilities, every (right-handed) quarterback in the league would be adversely affected by losing their LT.

CoachD

Reaction score
Prediction: Tyler Smith will have less holding penalties over his career than Zack Martin.
This was also a prediction........If the Cowboys clean up their penalties they could challenge the 72 Dolphins.

Verdict

Reaction score
He also was taken No. 24 instead of earlier in the draft because his ability to play OT now was very much in question. The talent we acquired was a flawed talent who was suited to maybe start at LG this year but not at LT. Otherwise, he goes off the board much earlier. Tyron started off at RT for us. La'el Collins started off at guard. Coming in and playing LT as a rookie is a disaster waiting to happen except for maybe a couple of early draft picks a year (or a few lucky finds). Tyler's flaws are well-known, so I'm not sure we should expect him to perform well at the toughest position on the line.

I’m going to have to respectfully disagree with your post. A first round player should be able to perform at a reasonable, marginal starter level his first year. If not, that player should not be chosen in the first round.

I believe that he was selected, in part, because the team believed he could be the replacement at OT in the future over other more polished players that projected G/C rather than G/OT.

Zack Martin wasn’t chosen until the middle of the round (less than 10 spots earlier-I think). I’m not saying he needs to be the next Tyron Smith, but he should be a marginal starter, or we never should have taken him that high.

Verdict

Reaction score
Left tackle is the second most important position on offense after quarterback. There is no way to minimize losing Tyron Smith. No matter what your opinion is of Dak and his abilities, every (right-handed) quarterback in the league would be adversely affected by losing their LT.

I’m going to go out on a limb and say that the dropoff between Tyron and the rookie will be less than most people think, not because the rookie is so good, but because Tyron isn’t Tyron anymore.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Obviously it doesnt have the ability. This line is a shadow of itself. We have one pro bowler and what?

Nope.............its definitely time to start crying. Any hope for our offense just went down the toilet. I guess you didnt watch the 2nd half of last year.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Obviously it doesnt have the ability. This line is a shadow of itself. We have one pro bowler and what?

Nope.............its definitely time to start crying. Any hope for our offense just went down the toilet. I guess you didnt watch the 2nd half of last year.
Need a tissue.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Been through a box already today. Sadly, this season just went toast.
My question to you Roy would be... Does it really make a difference if it happened now or week 10?
Would it really have made a difference?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I do think based on his play at guard that we will be able to run well behind him. His power is very obvious, and that's going against tackles. Where he'll continue to have problems is with hand placement that will allow some of those speedy ends to escape and make stops in the backfield at times.

The hand placement issues will probably be particularly troublesome in pass protection. Top ends work all kinds of moves to get free and if your hand placement isn't good you'll either end up getting beaten or grabbing. When Tyler gets his hands right, I think he can lock out the DE the same way that Tyron does. He has shown that he has that kind of ability, along with the ability to reanchor and hold his ground. The question is how often top DEs are going to be able to cross up his hand placement, avoid his punch and cause him to lurch, etc.

I'm not expecting a Chaz Green level of fail if they end up starting Tyler at LT, but we should expect lots and lots of growing pains. That doesn't mean he eventually won't get there, because the talent is apparent, just that we might as well brace for a very bumpy learning curve if he's made the starter there. We already could see we were going to have one at LG, but LT puts him in space where it's harder to recover from your mistakes.
No training camp reps at OT...