CFZ If Tyler Smith plays left tackle we will be able to run well behind him

Verdict

Reaction score
They can't win anything this year. So let the rookie learn to be a LT. You'll be all the better for it next year.

Im not sure about the can’t win anything part, but I totally agree that you throw him in there and expect him to perform well. He is a first round pick and was drafted to eventually play OT.

This is why you drafted him. Now coach him up, let him learn, and see what happens.

If the kid sets the world on fire, and the other rookie OT has promise them you look to get some salvage value out if Tyron Smith’s contract in a trade.

Other franchises get by with what they have and win. This franchise needs to get back to expecting the same.

Either we have a coaching problem or we have a talent acquisition problem, or both, if we can’t find a way to get the job done.

MM is probably a little bit under appreciated as a coach in some respects. He’s not the hoodie but he’s better than anyone we have had roaming the sidelines in quite some time.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Im not sure about the can’t win anything part, but I totally agree that you throw him in there and expect him to perform well. He is a first round pick and was drafted to eventually play OT.

This is why you drafted him. Now coach him up, let him learn, and see what happens.

If the kid sets the world on fire, and the other rookie OT has promise them you look to get some salvage value out if Tyron Smith’s contract in a trade.

Other franchises get by with what they have and win. This franchise needs to get back to expecting the same.

Either we have a coaching problem or we have a talent acquisition problem, or both, if we can’t find a way to get the job done.

MM is probably a little bit under appreciated as a coach in some respects. He’s not the hoodie but he’s better than anyone we have had roaming the sidelines in quite some time.

He also was taken No. 24 instead of earlier in the draft because his ability to play OT now was very much in question. The talent we acquired was a flawed talent who was suited to maybe start at LG this year but not at LT. Otherwise, he goes off the board much earlier. Tyron started off at RT for us. La'el Collins started off at guard. Coming in and playing LT as a rookie is a disaster waiting to happen except for maybe a couple of early draft picks a year (or a few lucky finds). Tyler's flaws are well-known, so I'm not sure we should expect him to perform well at the toughest position on the line.

Acceptablename

Reaction score
I do think based on his play at guard that we will be able to run well behind him. His power is very obvious, and that's going against tackles. Where he'll continue to have problems is with hand placement that will allow some of those speedy ends to escape and make stops in the backfield at times.

The hand placement issues will probably be particularly troublesome in pass protection. Top ends work all kinds of moves to get free and if your hand placement isn't good you'll either end up getting beaten or grabbing. When Tyler gets his hands right, I think he can lock out the DE the same way that Tyron does. He has shown that he has that kind of ability, along with the ability to reanchor and hold his ground. The question is how often top DEs are going to be able to cross up his hand placement, avoid his punch and cause him to lurch, etc.

I'm not expecting a Chaz Green level of fail if they end up starting Tyler at LT, but we should expect lots and lots of growing pains. That doesn't mean he eventually won't get there, because the talent is apparent, just that we might as well brace for a very bumpy learning curve if he's made the starter there. We already could see we were going to have one at LG, but LT puts him in space where it's harder to recover from your mistakes.
I can live with growing pains. Im not throwing away the season but they must fix this line. They did draft two players and TSmith is fine. Do more and Im OK

OGCowboy

Reaction score
Put him at LT and leave him there. That’s what they drafted him for anyway...sure best case scenario he plays some guard and eases into LT but chit happens
I truly believe the kid has got the talent to handle the position better than many think. He’ll have growing pains but it would be best for this team in long run..........trial by fire
Jmo

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I mean we had concerns at 4 of the 5 positions on the OL already. Dive in and see what happens.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
It’s crazy to draft an OL in the 1st round and not start him. The football Gods have spoken.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
The smart move and we all know this organization is about as smart as a bag of hammers but Zach Martin should be moved to Left Tackle, with Smith at LG, Biadasz at C, McGovern at RG and Steele at RT rounding out the starting lineup...

Howboutdemcowboys31

Reaction score
They can't win anything this year. So let the rookie learn to be a LT. You'll be all the better for it next year.

This. They drafted him to replace 77. Playing him at guard cause he's better there then expecting him to just pick up playing LT next year is a mistake. Take the bumps and bruises now. Daks going to be on his back a lot this season regardless

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We're in trouble. I can't wait for the D4K blame game to start.
You got your excuse now run with it.........yes it's not a perfect world and QB have to adapt to injuries in order to lead their team to success!!!
Welcome to the NFL!!!!

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I do think based on his play at guard that we will be able to run well behind him. His power is very obvious, and that's going against tackles. Where he'll continue to have problems is with hand placement that will allow some of those speedy ends to escape and make stops in the backfield at times.

The hand placement issues will probably be particularly troublesome in pass protection. Top ends work all kinds of moves to get free and if your hand placement isn't good you'll either end up getting beaten or grabbing. When Tyler gets his hands right, I think he can lock out the DE the same way that Tyron does. He has shown that he has that kind of ability, along with the ability to reanchor and hold his ground. The question is how often top DEs are going to be able to cross up his hand placement, avoid his punch and cause him to lurch, etc.

I'm not expecting a Chaz Green level of fail if they end up starting Tyler at LT, but we should expect lots and lots of growing pains. That doesn't mean he eventually won't get there, because the talent is apparent, just that we might as well brace for a very bumpy learning curve if he's made the starter there. We already could see we were going to have one at LG, but LT puts him in space where it's harder to recover from your mistakes.

If their goal for him was to be the next LT then you might as well put him over there now and let him learn on the job.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Prediction: Tyler Smith will have less holding penalties over his career than Zack Martin.

How happy are you today buddy? Its like Xmas for you. The Cowboys offense just went in the toilet, Dak will struggle with bad blocking in front of him and your doom and gloom theory might just come true!!!!

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score

As the day has gone on this has been my POV as well. If you TRULY believe he will be your LT in the future, let's get him out there. He cannot possibly be worse than what I've seen from Ball. I mean...I guess he could be...but if he is then we never should have taken him in the first round. Ball was as bad as I've ever seen in the last two games. like....Chaz Green/Rob Pettitti bad.

CCBoy

Reaction score
FO should bring in someone and leave the young pup where he is for his rookie season. Let him get his feet wet in the NFL before asking him to play LT. LT is arguably one of the toughest positions to play.
6 games...