Twitter: If Urban Meyer were to return it would be for the Cowboys

tyke1doe

Reaction score
This is a tough one because offering a defense of this domestic abuse thing makes one sound like they are condoning domestic violence.
The article says Meyer and his wife offered to help Smith and his wife get counseling. I'm failing to see where Urban Meyer is the monster in all of this.
I know its not popular but people who are accused of domestic violence are not typically immediately fired from their jobs. According to the article they investigated thousands of emails and text messages and they said he did not try to cover or condone Smiths behavior.

Honestly it sounds like Meyer was a good friend to Zach Smith and Meyer and his wife tried to help Smith and his wife with their domestic and marriage troubles.

As for Florida...... blaming Urban Meyer for Aaron Hernandez killing someone 10 years later is a reach that looks to be a hit job on Meyers character. Are we blaming Bill Billichek for his active player murdering someone? Check out some of Bobby Bowden or Jimmy Johnsons teams over the years. As a college coach your are paid to win games and in Florida Meyer recruited from schools and neighborhoods where many of the kids didnt grow up with great role models. Blaming a coach for the actions of some college kids is ridiculous.

First, I'm merely the messenger. Everyone is entitled to view others how he or she wishes based on his or her own moral code. It doesn't matter to me one way or the other if the Cowboys hire him.

However, Meyer initially told the press he didn't know about Smith's domestic abuse issues. The former Mrs. Smith confided in Mrs. Meyer, but Urban said his wife never told him about Smith's domestic abuse. It was hard for anyone connected with that situation to believe that Mrs. Meyer didn't tell her husband that a member of his staff was having a punching bag tournament with his wife. Thus, Urban threw his wife under the bus, or so say his detractors.

Fortunately, we live in a culture where we don't tolerate domestic violence like we used to. So to many people, the "counseling session" option is out the door. Furthermore, Meyer never said that in press conferences. He flat out denied knowing anything about the Smith's situation.

Finally, no person is defined by ONE situation in his or her life - unless that situation is EXTREMELY EGREGIOUS and can't be ignored - like, say, mass murder. But people are judged based on the compilation of their life's behavior. And it appears as if Urban Meyer has a way of turning a blind eye to very egregious situations. So it's not just the fact that Jimmy Johnson and Bobby Bowden had bad players. It's the fact that Meyer seems to find himself in situations where he ignores critical signs and warnings that eventually come back to bite him and cast doubt about his authenticity and truthfulness.

phildadon86

Reaction score
First, I'm merely the messenger. Everyone is entitled to view others how he or she wishes based on his or her own moral code. It doesn't matter to me one way or the other if the Cowboys hire him.

However, Meyer initially told the press he didn't know about Smith's domestic abuse issues. The former Mrs. Smith confided in Mrs. Meyer, but Urban said his wife never told him about Smith's domestic abuse. It was hard for anyone connected with that situation to believe that Mrs. Meyer didn't tell her husband that a member of his staff was having a punching bag tournament with his wife. Thus, Urban threw his wife under the bus, or so say his detractors.

Fortunately, we live in a culture where we don't tolerate domestic violence like we used to. So to many people, the "counseling session" option is out the door. Furthermore, Meyer never said that in press conferences. He flat out denied knowing anything about the Smith's situation.

Finally, no person is defined by ONE situation in his or her life - unless that situation is EXTREMELY EGREGIOUS and can't be ignored - like, say, mass murder. But people are judged based on the compilation of their life's behavior. And it appears as if Urban Meyer has a way of turning a blind eye to very egregious situations. So it's not just the fact that Jimmy Johnson and Bobby Bowden had bad players. It's the fact that Meyer seems to find himself in situations where he ignores critical signs and warnings that eventually come back to bite him and cast doubt about his authenticity and truthfulness.
So jimmy gets a pass? He had Irvin on this team. Was Irvin a good character guy? Lol. If urban comes here and wins many fans will overlook his misgivings just like they did with jimmy

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Change is needed but I do not think Urban is the best choice. Looks like this may be the way we are going so just as I do for JG I can only hope for the best.

CPanther95

Reaction score
Urban is only in the mix, and will get an interview, just so Jerry's ultimate choice will be lumped in with Urban and Riley (or whoever else) and boost his choice's legitimacy.

cowboyec

Reaction score
3 places. He was the coach of Utah for two years, leading them to a 10-2 and a 12-0 record, including a bowl win over Alabama.
???
i said he won at 2 places it wasnt expected...bowling green and utah.....and 2 places it was expected....florida and ohio st.

Reactions: BAT

Valkyr

Reaction score
He'll be here for about 3 seasons, then clutch his heart like Fred Sanford and claim 'health problems' the minute anything goes wrong.

Like when he blamed his brain issues for conveniently forgetting that he knew anything about his assistant beating his wife.

He's a Petrino-level sleaze, but an awesome coach.

TDHND

Reaction score
I can't stand the man and he's probably quit after 2 years anyway.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I can't believe how some of you act. You act like Urban was the one who did the beating. I'd like to see which one of you stands up and falls on his sword, knowing full well that it will cost you a job that pays 7 or 8 mil a year, because that's what we are talking about the whole assistant Coach thing here, if you are Meyers. Everybody in the world saw what happens when the media gets hold of this kind of thing with the Ray Rice deal, it's a death sentence for everybody involved.

It's easy to be critical of Meyers and yet, the sport every one of you love, the reason you are all here on this board is all about domestic violence and physical brutality on a daily bases. The NFL is rampant, with domestic violence issues and the entire game is about physically beating another human being. Come on now. You guys gonna tell me that you don't know anything about this issue and you are only just hearing about it now? I call BS on all of you. Everybody on this board, everybody who watches the NFL, buys a Jersey or a cap or a ticket or a TV package to watch a game, everybody who turns on a set and watches on a local channel, you are complicit. I mean, that's basically what you are saying about Urban. He is responsible because why? Because he didn't speak up? He ignored the issue? How is it different then fans knowing about this issue in the NFL and yet, we still tune in and watch religiously every Sunday.

Love the guy or hate the guy, I don't care but this entire Domestic Violence responsibility angle is a bunch of nonsense IMO. I am not responsible for anybody who beats his wife. I am not responsible for any wife who won't even hire a lawyer and stand up for herself after 10 years of this kind of treatment. I am not responsible for sticking my nose into another persons married life and acting as if I am their parents. I am responsible for taking care of my Wife and my Family. Society has gotten way too far off the beaten path on this kind of stuff IMO. I'm not saying ignore the problem or look the other way but I am saying that a grown person needs to at least stand up for themselves and do something about their own personal situation. I am saying that by society treating Meyers in this fashion, over something he didn't do, is part of the problem.

Meyers shouldn't come here to Dallas. Our fan base is going to undercut him before his first game. I think we should go out and hire another crappy coach who has a squeaky clean past but can't win a game of checkers instead, so that everybody can feel good about themselves.

superonyx

Reaction score

You may view offering your friend or co-worker who you have been working with for over a decade and who relocated his family across the country, counselling and support for his personal issues "turning a blind eye". I view it as upstanding and the kind of friend/boss I would want in my life. Saying he was not aware of his friends domestic violence problem to the media is not throwing his wife under the bus in any way. You can say you don't care but then you make this giant leap to try to say he somehow disrespected his wife. Just like you add the color commentary about his wife being used as a punching bag.

I doubt anyone on this board has the amount of domestic violence I witness as a child. Horrific stuff. So I am in not sympathetic towards this type of human behavior. People may want to ignore counseling as an attempt to help but this is where I differ. I watched my father get arrested and taken to jail more than once as a child. It never quieted the demon in him that caused him to snap. It was counseling that finally helped him come to terms with his own insecurities and control issues that trigger his anger and rage.

Urban Meyer is not a bad guy for trying to help his friend. He also isnt a bad guy for trying to cover for him to the blood thirsty media that want to create dramatic stories to get views.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
"He's viewed as toxic" on having a relationship with Jerry as well.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
So jimmy gets a pass? He had Irvin on this team. Was Irvin a good character guy? Lol. If urban comes here and wins many fans will overlook his misgivings just like they did with jimmy
Is Jimmy coaching anymore? :huh:

tyke1doe

Reaction score
You may view offering your friend or co-worker who you have been working with for over a decade and who relocated his family across the country, counselling and support for his personal issues "turning a blind eye". I view it as upstanding and the kind of friend/boss I would want in my life. Saying he was not aware of his friends domestic violence problem to the media is not throwing his wife under the bus in any way. You can say you don't care but then you make this giant leap to try to say he somehow disrespected his wife. Just like you add the color commentary about his wife being used as a punching bag.

I doubt anyone on this board has the amount of domestic violence I witness as a child. Horrific stuff. So I am in not sympathetic towards this type of human behavior. People may want to ignore counseling as an attempt to help but this is where I differ. I watched my father get arrested and taken to jail more than once as a child. It never quieted the demon in him that caused him to snap. It was counseling that finally helped him come to terms with his own insecurities and control issues that trigger his anger and rage.

Urban Meyer is not a bad guy for trying to help his friend. He also isnt a bad guy for trying to cover for him to the blood thirsty media that want to create dramatic stories to get views.

Trying to help his friend? So was Joe Paterno. There's a limit on friendship and what one covers for. His friend committed a crime, i.e., beating his wife silly. Unfortunately, head coaches of prominent programs don't have that luxury.

Verdict

Reaction score
Because he is perceived as a liar, opportunist and will excuse bad behavior by his players just to win. He basically lied about knowing that Zack Smith beat his wife, and threw his OWN WIFE under the bus. He always says he has health problems to exit jobs only to reappear at another job and he winked at the bad characters on Florida's team including Aaron Hernandez, who had quite a reputation at Florida and who ultimately murdered a man while he played for the Patriots.

https://people.com/sports/urban-meyer-suspended-from-coaching/

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/2018/12/04/what-do-we-make-of-urban-meyer/

Player personnel is largely going to be up to McClay so the type of guys he coaches probably isn’t going to be totally up to him, anyway.

I’m not sure anyone saw Hernandez going around killing anyone. The Patriots had him on their team.

If he can bring us a SB I’m all for it. I’m not sure Garrett is 100 percent gone yet though. I think if he loses the NFCE I think he is gone though. If he loses to the Rams (4 in a row plus lost to Jets in sane season) I think he is done.

johneric8

Reaction score
Because he is perceived as a liar, opportunist and will excuse bad behavior by his players just to win. He basically lied about knowing that Zack Smith beat his wife, and threw his OWN WIFE under the bus. He always says he has health problems to exit jobs only to reappear at another job and he winked at the bad characters on Florida's team including Aaron Hernandez, who had quite a reputation at Florida and who ultimately murdered a man while he played for the Patriots.

https://people.com/sports/urban-meyer-suspended-from-coaching/

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/2018/12/04/what-do-we-make-of-urban-meyer/
Yeah he protects his own at all cost.. He'll fit in perfect in dallas.

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
The Skins can have him.

If goin go the college route, go with Matt Rhule