If we can't win this year we may never win

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
If we were to fall short this year but win it all next year, it will be because we acquire another piece or two on the OL in the offseason.

If you're looking for the primary potential pitfall this season, look no further than the OL. (Barring injuries, as the OP stated upfront).

Will anyone be shocked if the right side of our OL stinks this year? Would anyone then be shocked if we didn't acquire one or two more guys over the offseason to address it?

jnday

Reaction score
This team will be perpetually mediocre until the trenches are upgraded drastically by drafting and we get lots more players like Smith. Ill still root for them and follow them .. but i expect nothing but 8-8 until the drafting is better. Fredrick looks good ... but you cant only hit on your first rounder and expect to get better quickly.
Exactly. The lesson should have sunk in by now. The lines on both sides of the ball still needs at least one more draft dedicated to upgrading the positions. This offense requires more than just an average oline to be effective . I will give Jerry credit for drafting Frederick, but at least one more lineman on each side of the ball should have been drafted. It wasn't a bright ideal not to sign any undrafted free agent olinemen this year either. Signing young castoffs like Weems hasn't done anything to help the situation. I get the feeling that Frederick was drafted in an effort to take some of the heat off of the team from fans and the media. If they spend another high pick on a lineman in the next draft, it will convince me that they are serious about fixing the problem long term.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
(Barring Injury)

I actually have the Packers in the Superbowl as my Pre-season pick but when I look at the Cowboys roster and the Packers roster I can't say they are a lot better than the Cowboys.

How are the Packers going to beat SF? They haven't done enough in the offseason to stop KAP. He is going to run all over them and have his way with their defense. You would have been better off picking SF, Seattle, or Atlanta.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
If we were to fall short this year but win it all next year, it will be because we acquire another piece or two on the OL in the offseason.

If you're looking for the primary potential pitfall this season, look no further than the OL. (Barring injuries, as the OP stated upfront).

Will anyone be shocked if the right side of our OL stinks this year? Would anyone then be shocked if we didn't acquire one or two more guys over the offseason to address it?

The Oline and Dline will need to be addressed. You have a lot of aging players on the dline and some won't be here next year. If you can't put pressure on the QB in the NFL these days, you are toast.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
People ask me why I think Dallas has a shot this year, I don't go into Xs and Os, talk about the focus on the running game, Billy C calling plays, the switch to the 4-3, yada yada.

It's pretty simple, they're just due.

The Cowboys have never come out of nowhere to win it all. Every championship the team has won you could see them building toward it with good teams the year prior. Before they won their first championship in 71 they were in the SB the previous season. The Cowboys had been knocking on the door for several years prior to winning their first championship they had clearly paid their dues. When the Cowboys won it all in 77 they were 11-3 the year prior and were in the SB in 75. They had been building towards that championship for several years with some very good teams that knew how to win.

When they won their first championship under Jimmy in 92 they were in the playoffs the previous season winning a playoff game on the road in Chicago. You could sense something special was on the horizon with the Cowboys. Since the Cowboys last championship in 95 they threw their best championship opportunities away in 07 and 09. There was a 3 year window where the Cowboys had some great opportunities but lacked a disciplined HC that could keep the team focused which led to the Cowboys quitting on him in 2010. The Cowboys have been spinning their wheels the past 2 seasons and it can be argued they looked better in 2011 than they did last season. Most have the Cowboys where they had them last year at this time in 3rd place in the NFC East.

Most agree the Cowboys have talent but because they keep folding in make or break games no one takes them seriously as a contender. If and when the Cowboys ever win another championship they'll pay their dues by making the playoffs and making some noise. The Cowboys first have to start figuring out how to win consistently during the regular season so they can make the playoffs. A team like the Falcons look like a team that's on the brink of winning a championship.

rcaldw

Reaction score
Garrett's time here will be longer than Romo's. And personally I don't see why we should connect the two. I also think that we will have a good season this year. I like what Garrett is doing, and the more I hear Romo interviewed the more I like him. I think he has matured a lot, and I think he is a very thoughtful, and a very nice person. I watched him deal with a moronic interviewers question the other day about "the Witten play", and Romo handled that guy in a way that didn't embarrass him. I was impressed.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I like what Garrett is doing, and the more I hear Romo interviewed the more I like him. I think he has matured a lot, and I think he is a very thoughtful, and a very nice person. I watched him deal with a moronic interviewers question the other day about "the Witten play", and Romo handled that guy in a way that didn't embarrass him. I was impressed.

You're like a lot of FANS this summer you're impressed by what you're hearing from both Garrett and Romo in interviews. I want to see Garrett and Romo handle situations during games better. Handling someone in an interview and an opponent on the field are two different things. You don't win games by talking and handling questions.

rcaldw

Reaction score
You're like a lot of FANS this summer you're impressed by what you're hearing from both Garrett and Romo in interviews. I want to see Garrett and Romo handle situations during games better. Handling someone in an interview and an opponent on the field are two different things. You don't win games by talking and handling questions.

With all due respect, are you fan? Or a Dallas Cowboys coach? Front office person? Scout? Do you cover the team for a newspaper? I always thought this was a FAN site? :)

Second, do you really think that I don't know that games are won on a field and not at a mic?

But you know what, maybe like some, maybe not like some, I think leaders are born, I think they are recognizable, and I think they tend to have success over the long haul. In addition, I think there are PRINCIPLES for success that have been proven over a long period of time. So, when I listen to people, and when I listen to the people who are around those people, I have an opinion about whether or not I think they possess those qualities. I think Garrett and Romo encourage me. Maybe they don't you. Fair enough.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
That is why I think if we don't do much this year then I doubt we'll do a whole lot next year unless we discover a game changer somewhere.

This is the best team we've had in years. If we can't produce this season then I just don't see us dramatically improving.

In fact we could take a huge hit on the D - Line after this year and actually be worse.

Also this isn't a complex defense so I don't buy into the year 2 thing.

Complex? Demarcus Ware just disspelled that rumor by saying it was an 'easy' defense to understand. Same with Carter. Ryan was a read, then react. Kiffen's is a react.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
With all due respect, are you fan? Or a Dallas Cowboys coach? Front office person? Scout? Do you cover the team for a newspaper? I always thought this was a FAN site?

With all due respect the number of posts I have on this board should answer the question if I'm a fan. I'm a fan but not a FAN as in homer which means I'm not impressed by interviews only by what I see on the field. I'm not a Dallas Cowboys coach, front office person or a scout and I don't cover the team for a newspaper. You are correct this is a FAN site.

Second, do you really think that I don't know that games are won on a field and not at a mic? But you know what, maybe like some, maybe not like some, I think leaders are born, I think they are recognizable, and I think they tend to have success over the long haul. In addition, I think there are PRINCIPLES for success that have been proven over a long period of time. So, when I listen to people, and when I listen to the people who are around those people, I have an opinion about whether or not I think they possess those qualities. I think Garrett and Romo encourage me. Maybe they don't you. Fair enough.

Everyone knows games are won on the field but FANS are always looking for hope this time of year and all we've been hearing from FANS this summer is how different Garrett sounds. Some are already translating that into more wins in 2013. Last year at this time someone posted the Starter commercial below with Romo staring into the camera saying all the things that get FANS pumped up. The way he looked and everything he said had some FANS going over the top with their predictions. One FAN predicted Romo would have an MVP season based off the commercial. :rolleyes: You find out whether players and coaches have the qualities necessary to win by what you see on the field especially in critical games not in commercials or during interviews. Garrett and Romo may encourage you by what they say but I won't be encouraged until what they say is translated into consistent play on the field.

rcaldw

Reaction score
With all due respect the number of posts I have on this board should answer the question if I'm a fan. I'm a fan but not a FAN as in homer which means I'm not impressed by interviews only by what I see on the field. I'm not a Dallas Cowboys coach, front office person or a scout and I don't cover the team for a newspaper. You are correct this is a FAN site.

Everyone knows games are won on the field but FANS are always looking for hope this time of year and all we've been hearing from FANS this summer is how different Garrett sounds. Some are already translating that into more wins in 2013. Last year at this time someone posted the Starter commercial below with Romo staring into the camera saying all the things that get FANS pumped up. The way he looked and everything he said had some FANS going over the top with their predictions. One FAN predicted Romo would have an MVP season based off the commercial. :rolleyes: You find out whether players and coaches have the qualities necessary to win by what you see on the field especially in critical games not in commercials or during interviews. Garrett and Romo may encourage you by what they say but I won't be encouraged until what they say is translated into consistent play on the field.

I understand what you are saying, but I'm not afraid of having an opinion. I don't have to protect myself emotionally. If I think they will do well and they don't, well, they didn't. My feelings about it didn't determine the outcome one way or the other. We all have opinions about all sorts of things that we know can only FINALLY be known by what ACTUALLY takes place. It doesn't keep us from having an opinion. I'm not encouraged because I saw a commercial that fired me up. I'm encouraged because I see the reworking of a roster, and I see a commitment to a way of doing things that I believe produces success over the long haul.

Now, if I'm right, then you will come along with me and say, "Yea, I'm encouraged now because they PROVED it to me." If I'm wrong, you will say, "see, I'm not FAN, I'm a fan....".

If I'm right, then I will say, "Man, this was a lot more fun this year." If you are right, then I will say, "Hope it changes next year."

Since no money is exchanged based upon our approach, I don't see how yours is any more beneficial than mine?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I understand what you are saying, but I'm not afraid of having an opinion. I don't have to protect myself emotionally. If I think they will do well and they don't, well, they didn't. My feelings about it didn't determine the outcome one way or the other. We all have opinions about all sorts of things that we know can only FINALLY be known by what ACTUALLY takes place. It doesn't keep us from having an opinion. I'm not encouraged because I saw a commercial that fired me up. I'm encouraged because I see the reworking of a roster, and I see a commitment to a way of doing things that I believe produces success over the long haul.

Now, if I'm right, then you will come along with me and say, "Yea, I'm encouraged now because they PROVED it to me." If I'm wrong, you will say, "see, I'm not FAN, I'm a fan....".

If I'm right, then I will say, "Man, this was a lot more fun this year." If you are right, then I will say, "Hope it changes next year."

Since no money is exchanged based upon our approach, I don't see how yours is any more beneficial than mine?

Everyone has an opinion here and the opinions of most FANS are formed off hope, wishful thinking and from what they read and hear from the coaches and players. I form all my opinions on facts, trends and what I see on the field. I'm not guided by my emotions I call everything the way I honestly see things regardless if it rubs some the wrong way. If FANS enjoy watching Garrett smile on the sidelines during games regardless if the Cowboys are winning or losing then good for them.

If FANS are impressed by Romo's interviews and feel encouraged by them then great. I'll start feeling encouraged when everything Garrett keeps preaching over and over starts showing on the field consistently on Sundays. I'm tired of talk I want to see action as in good, solid consistent football.

DallasBlockersClub

Reaction score
I'm tired of talk I want to see action as in good, solid consistent football.

I'm afraid you stand alone here. No one wants to see good, solid consistent football.

What are you trying to prove? Wanting to see a winner on the field doesn't make you special, it makes you an average "FAN".

Cloudy

Reaction score
Everyone has an opinion here and the opinions of most FANS are formed off hope, wishful thinking and from what they read and hear from the coaches and players. I form all my opinions on facts, trends and what I see on the field. I'm not guided by my emotions I call everything the way I honestly see things regardless if it rubs some the wrong way. If FANS enjoy watching Garrett smile on the sidelines during games regardless if the Cowboys are winning or losing then good for them.

If FANS are impressed by Romo's interviews and feel encouraged by them then great. I'll start feeling encouraged when everything Garrett keeps preaching over and over starts showing on the field consistently on Sundays. I'm tired of talk I want to see action as in good, solid consistent football.

Why would anyone who truely dislikes Cowboy FANS spend so much time on a Cowboy fan website? Hmmm

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
I'm not saying this as a negativity; take a look at the 49ers; they've gone from being a very meh team to a powerhouse without MAJOR upgrades in talent at the skill positions. The Giants won two superbowls playing as a team. We have all the talent we need, but our strategy needs to meet up with reality, and tactics need to be sound. Hopefully this is the year they click under Garrett and start doing the right things to get wins.

What? San Francisco has a WR drafted in the top 10 (crabree). Another 1st round WR spent on Jenkins. Drafted a TE in the top 10 (Davis). They have a perennial pro bowl RB (gore). And a top 5 2nd round pick at QB.

If anything we need to follow their lead and continue to improve in the trenches.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Why would anyone who truely dislikes Cowboy FANS spend so much time on a Cowboy fan website? Hmmm

I spend time on a Cowboys fan site because I'm a Cowboys fan. It's the "team" that draws us all here and who says I hate Cowboy FANS? The opposing views from the homers and the realists is what keeps things interesting here. If it wasn't for Cowboy FANS I wouldn't spend as much time as I do here because I wouldn't have anyone to argue with. LOL

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I'm afraid you stand alone here. No one wants to see good, solid consistent football.

What are you trying to prove? Wanting to see a winner on the field doesn't make you special, it makes you an average "FAN".

An average FAN sees progress being made from watching inconsistent football year after year. An average FAN sees one 8-8 season as being better than the previous 8-8 season. An average FAN sees Jason Garrett doing a good job as HC. An average FAN sees a Cowboys team that's primed for a SB run in 2013. I wish I was an average FAN.