If we go WR in 1st Round, please no Manningham

Roughneck

Reaction score
smarta5150;1770814 said:
When was he inconsistent until today?

He has never dropped 3 passes in one game... why would you even bring something up like that when you know I have watched every Michigan game this season.

I am not making excuses, he was terrible today, but to think thats how he has been all season is the most ignorant statement of the day.
Well, I've watched all but one of Michigan's games this year and I stand by my comments.

As already stated in my above post, inconsistency has more to do with than just dropped balls (although Manningham does have his fair share of those too). I've seen him quit on plays, not be on the same page with his QB (Henne or Mallett), and seemingly look lost on the football field at various times in the games. Granted, he has still put up some impressive stats this year in spite of these issues but these problems have been ongoing since his freshman year and I fear that they will translate over into the League.

Mario simply has far too much talent to make as many mistakes as he does. At this point and time, I do not feel that he is worthy in any sense of being first round worthy.

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
Roughneck;1770846 said:
Well, I've watched all but one of Michigan's games this year and I stand by my comments.

As already stated in my above post, inconsistency has more to do with than just dropped balls (although Manningham does have his fair share of those too). I've seen him quit on plays, not be on the same page with his QB (Henne or Mallett), and seemingly look lost on the football field at various times in the games. Granted, he has still put up some impressive stats this year in spite of these issues but these problems have been ongoing since his freshman year and I fear that they will translate over into the League.

Mario simply has far too much talent to make as many mistakes as he does. At this point and time, I do not feel that he is worthy in any sense of being first round worthy.

I guess we have been watching a different #86 for the past 3 years then.

Clarkson

Wonderboyromo
Reaction score
Manningham isnt going to be a great NFL WR...James Hardy>Manningham.

And wooo Ohio State!

Roughneck

Reaction score
smarta5150;1770849 said:
I guess we have been watching a different #86 for the past 3 years then.
We must have been. Maybe I'll try on your Maize and Blue Glasses next time.

FWIW, I'd take him in the early-mid 2nd Round (though Dallas won't have a pick in that range).

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
smarta5150;1770780 said:
Long gave up his 1st sack of the season to a future 1st round draft pick.

But keep trying to hate.

its not hate...the guy got driven back on the QB play after play today

I'm sure he'll be a high first rd pick, but I'm hopign it'll be for a team we play alot...he is going to have problems with NFL pass rushers

David

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Zaxor;1770777 said:
I have seen 4 games now ... Long, Manningham are way overrated... long gets constantly driven back on bull rushes and has to reach and lunge on speed rushers...manningham is way too inconsistent
Long is about as good as it gets at LT. He's a lock at top 5 pick.

I would absolutely love Laurinaitis or Crable at ILB. It's too bad that Malcolm Jenkins is outplaying our draft position.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
Congrats Coach Tressel!

O-H-I-O

imagec27ab450-c6c6-45bf-9b3d-4606746531f6.jpg

GO BUCKS!

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
burmafrd;1770820 said:
I would argue that no one stank it up more then Manningham. He was putrid.

he dropped a few 5yd passes...so what? I think one of those balls was past a first down marker...it probably made zero difference in the outcome of the game

OSU's fronts just own Michigan on both sides of the ball...thats why OSU beats them every yr now

David

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
theogt;1770859 said:
Long is about as good as it gets at LT. He's a lock at top 5 pick.

if he is as good as it gets, the team that drafts him will ultimately be disappointed

he is a good prospect, but I really think he's going to struggle with NFL pass rushers, especially if he ends up at LT

he didnt block anybody today

David

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
Roughneck;1770855 said:
We must have been. Maybe I'll try on your Maize and Blue Glasses next time.

FWIW, I'd take him in the early-mid 2nd Round (though Dallas won't have a pick in that range).

Not too long ago I was talking to Rack about MM and mentioned a 2nd would be a fair choice for MM.

Its sad that 1 game can have so much affect on a players' stock but I cant help but think he would be a 1st rounder if he had 8 catches and 2 scores this game.

Oh well, this game might make him a steal for a team in the mid-late 2nd round now.

The bottom line is this though, I just hate seeing how some posters are having a knee-jerk reaction to him because of this one game and his 3 catches.

Honestly, if he cause 2/3 his stats wouldn't even be substantially changed.

2 of them were 5 yard crossing patterns and 1 of them was a big 3rd down (the most important drop).

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
dbair1967;1770866 said:
if he is as good as it gets, the team that drafts him will ultimately be disappointed

he is a good prospect, but I really think he's going to struggle with NFL pass rushers, especially if he ends up at LT

he didnt block anybody today

David
I only watched the first half, so I don't know how he did in the second, but he looked fantastic in the first.

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
theogt;1770869 said:
I only watched the first half, so I don't know how he did in the second, but he looked fantastic in the first.

Dbair is greatly exaggerating.

Gholston had 1 sack against Long which was his 1st sack given up THIS YEAR.

Gholston was moved around the entire game and mainly lined up against Michigan's RIGHT side.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
theogt;1770869 said:

I posted in the first half of this game in another thread

he got owned then too...he had 3 or 4 plays where he alsmost sacked the QB because the guy drove him back right onto him

soem of it could have been the field conditions, but he played with terrible leverage and strength today...and when the Gholston kid lined up on him, he ran right by him a few times...he got a sack on him and came close to a couple others

but the whole Michigan offense was putrid today...they shouldnt have played Henne or Hart, gave them no chance to win at all with their injury situations

David

Clarkson

Wonderboyromo
Reaction score
smarta5150;1770867 said:
Not too long ago I was talking to Rack about MM and mentioned a 2nd would be a fair choice for MM.

Its sad that 1 game can have so much affect on a players' stock but I cant help but think he would be a 1st rounder if he had 8 catches and 2 scores this game.

Oh well, this game might make him a steal for a team in the mid-late 2nd round now.

The bottom line is this though, I just hate seeing how some posters are having a knee-jerk reaction to him because of this one game and his 3 catches.

Honestly, if he cause 2/3 his stats wouldn't even be substantially changed.

2 of them were 5 yard crossing patterns and 1 of them was a big 3rd down (the most important drop).

Yea, true.
If he finished with 2000 yards and 20 TDs, I bet people would want him in the first round.
Crazy people.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
smarta5150;1770872 said:
That's no surprise. ;)

Gholston was moved around the entire game and mainly lined up against Michigan's RIGHT side.
I was going to say, during the entire first half he was lined up on the defensive left.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
smarta5150;1770872 said:

I am not exaggerating...he did get bullrushed back into the pocket several times

Gholston only lined up on him a few times, and Long couldnt block him either

I guess we'll see once he hits the field next preseason, but OSU has defensive line alent like he will see in the NFL, and he was abused today...everybody said Robert Gallery was a cant miss prospect too, look at him

David

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
Wonderboyromo;1770874 said:
Yea, true.
If he finished with 2000 yards and 20 TDs, I bet people would want him in the first round.
Crazy people.

If you wanna base his draft selection on stats alone than he will be a 1st rounder.

Not sure what you are trying to get at...

I compared 1 game and you are trying to relate it to an entire season.

My point is he had a GREAT year and looked bad in this ONE game.

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
dbair1967;1770877 said:
I am not exaggerating...he did get bullrushed back into the pocket several times

Gholston only lined up on him a few times, and Long couldnt block him either

I guess we'll see once he hits the field next preseason, but OSU has defensive line alent like he will see in the NFL, and he was abused today...everybody said Robert Gallery was a cant miss prospect too, look at him

David

If this is true why did Ghoslton line up against Michigan's right side of the offense for the majority of the game?

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
smarta5150;1770878 said:
If you wanna base his draft selection on stats alone than he will be a 1st rounder.

Not sure what you are trying to get at...

I compared 1 game and you are trying to relate it to an entire season.

My point is he had a GREAT year and looked bad in this ONE game.

Manningham will be fine as an NFL prospect...he is a big play machine...once he runs at the combine or his pro day, everyone will forget about a couple of dropped balls today (a couple of which were very poor throws)...is he Jerry Rice or Michael Irvin? No, but he can be a difference maker because of his ability to run by people and run after catch

David