If we lose Murray, draft Melvin Gordon?

ROUSH8692

Reaction score
Last time we wasted a 1st Round pick on a RB was Felix Jones..... You know the FA Felix Jones....

DFWJC

Reaction score
We drafted Murray in the 3rd. No way I spend a 1st round pick on a RB. You can find good RB's after the 1st round.

We need difference makers on defense.

Yep.

And to back up your point, here are the leading rushers in the NFL as of today:

1) L Murray--3rd rd
2) L Bell--2nd rd
3) A Foster--undrafted
4) M Lynch--1st rd
5) J Charles--3rd rd
6) M Forte--2nd Rd
7) L McCoy--2nd Rd
8) J Forsett--7th Rd
9) A Morris--6th Rd

anyway, you get the picture.

Almost none of the top rushers in the league were taken in he 1st round

I would pull the trigger if I loved the player in Rd 2 though.
For example, I for sure would have taken LeVeon Bell or Eddie Lacy in Rd2 of 2013 ahead of Gavin Escobar. :facepalm:

Hardline

Reaction score
If Gordon is the BPA when the Cowboys draft pick comes up then yes. Draft him. If he is not the BPA then you draft whoever the BPA is.

supercowboy8

Reaction score
Not for a 1st. He isn't a true NFL back. He is a 2 down back only. Bad catching the ball and picking up the blitz. Those are things they have to do in the NFL. Also he does run up the gut much. He is around the end and gets in open space. Much like a Jamaal Charles but can't catch. Also that Wisconsin OLine makes things easier for him.

I would take Coleman in the late 2nd early 3rd over Gordon in the 1st.

DBOY3141

Reaction score
Yep.

And to back up your point, here are the leading rushers in the NFL as of today:

1) L Murray--3rd rd
2) L Bell--2nd rd
3) A Foster--undrafted
4) M Lynch--1st rd
5) J Charles--3rd rd
6) M Forte--2nd Rd
7) L McCoy--2nd Rd
8) J Forsett--7th Rd
9) A Morris--6th Rd

anyway, you get the picture.

Almost none of the top rushers in the league were taken in he 1st round

I would pull the trigger if I loved the player in Rd 2 though.
For example, I for sure would have taken LeVeon Bell or Eddie Lacy in Rd2 of 2013 ahead of Gavin Escobar. :facepalm:

Bell was my favorite RB that draft. Would love to have him.

rags747

Reaction score
I'll buy Gordon in the 1st, with our OL a quick striking back could be a home run threat every time he touches the ball. I like Murray, but am not for extending him for anything more than 5m per yr. I think he will slow down considerably over the next 2-3 yrs.

Nirvana

Reaction score
Be a great addition to the team. My hunch is he will go first round. It will be tough to pick him there with our other needs. I wouldn't shed a tear if we did though.

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
having seen him play in person, I wouldn't shed a tear if he became a cowboy in any round

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
Last time we wasted a 1st Round pick on a RB was Felix Jones..... You know the FA Felix Jones....

Well, that doesn't mean you shouldn't ever do it again. We also took Emmitt in the first round. But unless they feel he can be a full time back, and not just a part time one like Felix was, they shouldn't do it. I don't see them pulling the trigger in the first for a RB anyway, even if we don't resign Murray. Jones is confident with Randle, and I'm sure they feel they can get a quality RB later in the draft.

IAmLegend

Reaction score
As much as I'd hate to spend our 1st rounder on a RB instead of defense, he'd be about as good a replacement to Murray as you'll find. Very similar players imo.

IAmLegend

Reaction score
T.J. Yeldon is another guy to watch come April. I think he'd be a good option in the 2nd round if Murray leaves. Not as dynamic as Gordon obviously, but he's another big RB (6'2 221 lbs) who has good speed and is surprisingly quick, and would probably thrive behind our O-Line. I think he could end up being a really good pro and a steal in the 2nd round.

Last edited: