If we lose Murray, draft Melvin Gordon?

JDSTAR

Reaction score
Anyone feel like the replacement is in house? I have this feeling that Ryan Williams would fit perfectly into Murray's spot. Maybe take a late round flyer or a UDFA for a possible Dunbar replacement. Get yourself a RT and work on that D.

MikeHoncho

Reaction score
Another consideration that doesn't get talked about a lot is the strength of each position in a draft.

With RBs, a group that has been devalued lately, it looks like a really strong class this year.

That means Dallas has a good chance of being able to wait before drafting a ball carrier because there should be good value at the position in later rounds.

Thia doesn't mean the Cowboys can't take a runner earlier, just that they may not need to.

Jalston Fowler plays RB and FB

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Another consideration that doesn't get talked about a lot is the strength of each position in a draft.

With RBs, a group that has been devalued lately, it looks like a really strong class this year.

That means Dallas has a good chance of being able to wait before drafting a ball carrier because there should be good value at the position in later rounds.

Thia doesn't mean the Cowboys can't take a runner earlier, just that they may not need to.
One thing I think about when thinking HBs is that we won alot of games combining a dominant OL with an elite back. I think thats imprortant to maintain.

The great thing about the state of the position now is that elite backs are 2nd/3rd round picks

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
right and I agree that its rare but thats what scouting is for. I don't thiink that should mean you reach on a player just to say you drafted a DE. My point is you take the BPA. Vikings took Patterson late and then Bridgewater late 1st. Both are pretty good in premium positions. I just hope our scouting team stays the same route its taken the last few years. No reach just BPA.

I agree that we aren't going to get a day 1 starting dynamic DE when we pick. But that also doesn't mean we should reach on a DE pass rusher.

Bridgewater had some issues that scared teams away like his body type and hand size. All legit concerns. However his strengths, (composure, football intelligents and mkd range accuracy, experience in a pro offense) made him worth a prime pick in spite of his weakness. IF we want a DE at our pick they are going to have holes, the scouting needs to determine who is a Bridgewater and who is a Weeden

supercowboy8

Reaction score
Bridgewater had some issues that scared teams away like his body type and hand size. All legit concerns. However his strengths, (composure, football intelligents and mkd range accuracy, experience in a pro offense) made him worth a prime pick in spite of his weakness. IF we want a DE at our pick they are going to have holes, the scouting needs to determine who is a Bridgewater and who is a Weeden

Agreed and that's why I don't think we pick a DE unless we trade up.
I think dallas will stay put and take BPA or do what they did when we picked Frederick and trade back because they didn't value who they had BPA at the time.

manster4ever

Reaction score
We drafted Murray in the 3rd. No way I spend a 1st round pick on a RB. You can find good RB's after the 1st round.

We need difference makers on defense.

I HAVE to agree with this. Really need help on the D. IF we trade out of the first and get and extra pick, we can get Davis, Coleman or the Boise kid in the 3rd or 4th. RB is just crazy deep in this draft as has been well chronicled.

tideh20heel

Reaction score
I agree that this team's identity has become tied to being elite in the backfield and up front. I also think youth at the rb position is essential. If I had my druthers I would grab Gordon or Gurley if available. That said a front office that has produced 3 1st team all pros and a second teamer in the last 5 drafts has earned the benefit of the doubt.

Cebrin

Reaction score
Gurley will be interesting come draft time, with the messed up knee and all.

I'll jump out of my seat if we could steal him in a later round due to that injury. (Barring it doesn't destroy his career)

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Anyone feel like the replacement is in house? I have this feeling that Ryan Williams would fit perfectly into Murray's spot. Maybe take a late round flyer or a UDFA for a possible Dunbar replacement. Get yourself a RT and work on that D.

I think Williams, Randle and Dunbar could handle it, but I wouldn't want those to be the only options to start training camp. I really don't know that they should do in terms of the RB position for 2015.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gurley will be interesting come draft time, with the messed up knee and all.

Injured player have not dropped as much in the past few drafts as you might expect.

The Niners took OG Brandon Thomas in the 3rd in 2014. He was projected to be a late 2nd or 3rd round pick before the injury.

The Niners took pass rusher Tank Carradine at R2, pick 8 in 2013. He was projected to be a late 1st is healthy.

Both player above missed their entire rookie seasons.

The problem with basically making a player a redshirt as a rookie is that the value of draft picks in the modern NFL with the current CBA is primarily during the time that they are under their rookie contract. The team is losing 1/4 of that time.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Injured player have not dropped as much in the past few drafts as you might expect.

The Niners took OG Brandon Thomas in the 3rd in 2014. He was projected to be a late 2nd or 3rd round pick before the injury.

The Niners took pass rusher Tank Carradine at R2, pick 8 in 2013. He was projected to be a late 1st is healthy.

Both player above missed their entire rookie seasons.

The problem with basically making a player a redshirt as a rookie is that the value of draft picks in the modern NFL with the current CBA is primarily during the time that they are under their rookie contract. The team is losing 1/4 of that time.

Good points. Marcus Lattimore dropped quite a bit, but his knee injury was much worse. I don't expect Gurley to drop as mcuh.

manster4ever

Reaction score
Not for a 1st. He isn't a true NFL back. He is a 2 down back only. Bad catching the ball and picking up the blitz. Those are things they have to do in the NFL. Also he does run up the gut much. He is around the end and gets in open space. Much like a Jamaal Charles but can't catch. Also that Wisconsin OLine makes things easier for him.

I would take Coleman in the late 2nd early 3rd over Gordon in the 1st.

Exactly...I watched Gordon, Coleman, Langford and Cobb a TON the last 4 years in the Big Ten. Coleman is the best bang for our buck in the 2nd round. (assuming DM leaves) If we franchise him then forget RB altogether for this year. Hope we dont' sign him to a long term deal: big mistake IMO. Gordon is alot more like Murray than people on this board think. He's big, fast and physical...very impressive. Langford and Cobb are great value in the 4th-5th round. Similar value or better than Randle.

reddyuta

Reaction score
no point in franchising murray,that money could be used on D,I like Gordon and Coleman but i dont agree that Gordon cant catch,wisconsin didnt have a QB who can throw.

manster4ever

Reaction score
no point in franchising murray,that money could be used on D,I like Gordon and Coleman but i dont agree that Gordon cant catch,wisconsin didnt have a QB who can throw.

Correct...Stave was BAD all year. Then they ran some screens and a wheel route for Gordon in the bowl game and he caught all of them. He's a first round talent that will NOT be available for us later in the first anyway IMHO

IAmLegend

Reaction score
T.J. Yeldon is another guy to watch come April. I think he'd be a good option in the 2nd round if Murray leaves. Not as dynamic as Gordon obviously, but he's another big RB (6'2 221 lbs) who has good speed and is surprisingly quick, and would probably thrive behind our O-Line. I think he could end up being a really good pro and a steal in the 2nd round.

I'm sticking with this guy in the 2nd round. Would love to have him.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
If we are thinking about a RB, I would really like it to be Tevin Coleman.