If we lose Murray, draft Melvin Gordon?

tideh20heel

Reaction score
Going with a first round stud rb every five years would not be a bad idea. You could enjoy his prime years and move on to the next one when his contract is up. just go with the bpa if that is a rb or wr so be it. there is def an advantage to staying young in the backfield.

reddyuta

Reaction score
this guy behind our Oline would be ridiculous,i dont really want t draft a RB in the first but he might be a fall back option.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Melvin is a straight up stud, but it's hard to put that premium on something other than the defense at #32.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
No way. The depth at RB in this draft is insane...if we really needed one then we could still land a very good one in the 3rd round, just like with Murray in 2011.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Wisconsin running back is a beast. I've seen him play. Should we draft him if Murray gets away? It probably would not take a first rounder.

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/melvin_gordon_764894.html

The Cowboys need to go BPA in the draft but position value is also a consideration.

Some positions in the NFL are harder to fill and more expensive than others. RB is on the low end of the position value list. QB is at the top followed by pass rushers.

I'm struggling to find pass rushers in this draft that Wow me, even 1st rounders. There a several RBs that look like they could be wow players behind the Cowboys OLine.

Bluefin

Reaction score
The Cowboys need to go BPA in the draft but position value is also a consideration.

Another consideration that doesn't get talked about a lot is the strength of each position in a draft.

With RBs, a group that has been devalued lately, it looks like a really strong class this year.

That means Dallas has a good chance of being able to wait before drafting a ball carrier because there should be good value at the position in later rounds.

Thia doesn't mean the Cowboys can't take a runner earlier, just that they may not need to.

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
At the Cowboys likely draft position, there may be few, if any, players available that they've rated with a first round grade. It's more likely that a RB with a first round grade will be available than a pass rusher. So Gordon could definitely be an option,

chuch

Reaction score
At the Cowboys likely draft position, there may be few, if any, players available that they've rated with a first round grade. It's more likely that a RB with a first round grade will be available than a pass rusher. So Gordon could definitely be an option,

This. Drafting an impact full-time starter from day 1 is NOT the norm. Where the cowboys will be drafting it's highly unlikely there will be a blue chip player available at a premium position (qb, 3 down DE, LT) without warts.

supercowboy8

Reaction score
This. Drafting an impact full-time starter from day 1 is NOT the norm. Where the cowboys will be drafting it's highly unlikely there will be a blue chip player available at a premium position (qb, 3 down DE, LT) without warts.

We picked Frederick at 31. He's a day 1 starting player. Also you can find 2nd round players thst can come in and start day 1 and play great. So yes they are there but do you want to reach for a need or draft BPA. Draft BPA and you can get a player that can play day 1.
reach for a pass rusher and you end up with players like marcus Smith and Dee Ford.

bodi

Reaction score
sorry I take Langford in the 3 rd

had 100 yards + in each game this year

Langford really shines in areas where most young backs struggle like pass protection, reliability in the screen game and also the ability to get stronger and better as the game goes on

When discussing the top Big Ten running backs, Langford is rarely mentioned in the same breath as Wisconsin's Melvin Gordon, Nebraska's Ameer Abdullah or Indiana's Tevin Coleman. But with 12 straight 100-yard rushing performances against Big Ten competition, Langford earned his way into the conversation.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/players/194629/

supercowboy8

Reaction score
sorry I take Langford in the 3 rd

had 100 yards + in each game this year

Langford really shines in areas where most young backs struggle like pass protection, reliability in the screen game and also the ability to get stronger and better as the game goes on

When discussing the top Big Ten running backs, Langford is rarely mentioned in the same breath as Wisconsin's Melvin Gordon, Nebraska's Ameer Abdullah or Indiana's Tevin Coleman. But with 12 straight 100-yard rushing performances against Big Ten competition, Langford earned his way into the conversation.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/players/194629/

i like him my problem is what round. Gordon is special and I really like Coleman but I dont want to draft a RB in the 1st. I dont think either will last late 2nd.

langford, Ajayi, Cobb, and David Johnson are guys I like that maybe we can get in the 3rd-4th

chuch

Reaction score
We picked Fritz at 31. He's a day 1 starting player.

Do you know what anecdotal evidence is? That is anecdotal evidence. Just because it did happen doesn't mean it always happens. Furthermore. if you read what I had written I stated that finding an "impact" player at a "premium position" late in round 1 is rare. Center is not considered a premium position.

I never said it couldn't be done. I said it isn't normally done.

supercowboy8

Reaction score
Do you know what anecdotal evidence is? That is anecdotal evidence. Just because it did happen doesn't mean it always happens. Furthermore. if you read what I had written I stated that finding an "impact" player at a "premium position" late in round 1 is rare. Center is not considered a premium position.

I never said it couldn't be done. I said it isn't normally done.

right and I agree that its rare but thats what scouting is for. I don't thiink that should mean you reach on a player just to say you drafted a DE. My point is you take the BPA. Vikings took Patterson late and then Bridgewater late 1st. Both are pretty good in premium positions. I just hope our scouting team stays the same route its taken the last few years. No reach just BPA.

I agree that we aren't going to get a day 1 starting dynamic DE when we pick. But that also doesn't mean we should reach on a DE pass rusher.

chuch

Reaction score
right and I agree that its rare but thats what scouting is for. I don't thiink that should mean you reach on a player just to say you drafted a DE. My point is you take the BPA. Vikings took Patterson late and then Bridgewater late 1st. Both are pretty good in premium positions. I just hope our scouting team stays the same route its taken the last few years. No reach just BPA.

I agree that we aren't going to get a day 1 starting dynamic DE when we pick. But that also doesn't mean we should reach on a DE pass rusher.

So how is any of this in disagreement with what I initially posted here?:

The only misunderstanding was your initial read of my post.

supercowboy8

Reaction score
So how is any of this in disagreement with what I initially posted here?:

The only misunderstanding was your initial read of my post.

its not I was just saying we picked Fredrick at 31. Never said I disagreed. I was more adding to the point that you can find a good player and no reason to reach on a need.

chuch

Reaction score
its not I was just saying we picked Fredrick at 31. Never said I disagreed. I was more adding to the point that you can find a good player and no reason to reach on a need.

Are you sure because you writing:
We picked Frederick at 31. He's a day 1 starting player. Also you can find 2nd round players thst can come in and start day 1 and play great. So yes they are there but do you want to reach for a need or draft BPA.

While quoting what I had written:

Implies that you were in disagreement with the statement I made.