If we lose to Philly and drop out of first...

visionary

Reaction score
I doubt the won-loss record will be a determining factor, the defense is what will kill this season and Garrett isn't responsible for that.

3 simple reasons I think Garrett is responsible for the defense

1. He is the HC and the HC is responsible for the performance of the TEAM not just the offense
2. He hired the DC
3. Everyone says that he has significant input in players drafted and signed and that includes the defense

If Garrett is not responsible no one is

Having says that, there is no way Garrett gets fired if we end the season 8-8 or better

Because he is "Teflon Garrett"

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I can't help but think Jerry is likely to afford Garrett all the rope necessary to hang himself at any time other than this season. The defensive change to the 4-3 will offer a good measure of forgiveness for Garrett, practically regardless of this season's final outcome. The offense, of which JG is the main contributor, is doing well. The defense, on the other hand, hasn't been the sort of thing championships are made of -- at least not yet. Garrett will justifiably be granted patience by Jerry for a while yet, imho.

TheRomoSexual

Reaction score
If we miss the playoffs, I'm personally ready to move on, though I would love to keep Marinelli on as DC. This, of course, has little to do with the Philly game.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Laugh all you want, but if Philly wins the division this year and Dallas just comes up short --again-- it will complete the hat trick of losing to all three NFC East teams for Garrett.

I can't see Jerry being too excited about that, no matter how you spin it.

Jerry would be out of excuses. He's changed the offensive play calling and coordinator, the defensive coordinator and scheme. The head coach would have to go. It would either be that or...~gasp~...actually address the real issue with the team and fire himself and his son.

ghst187

Reaction score
not sure about Garrett getting on the hot seat, i think if we trend towards missing the playoffs and another big name coach becomes available....then it might get interesting.

As far as the season goes, this is as close to a 'must-win' game as it gets at this point in the season.....because no NFC east team is going to get a wildcard, its win the division or go home and the iggles have a much easier road ahead than we do.

cml750

Reaction score
I doubt Garrett will be on the hot seat but he really should be. He has led us to nothing but mediocrity so far. In a league where the talent levels are so close coaching plays a huge role in who is successful and who isn't. So far we have not seen anything from Jason Garrett to suggest he has what it takes to lead this team to anything but .500 records. I sincerely hope he turns the corner soon because this team has WAY too much talent for a mediocre coach.

Doomsay

Reaction score
I thought that Jason was pulling the strings and the Kiffin hiring and Callahan promotion all had his finger prints on them.

cowboys1981

Reaction score
If we lose we'll have the following threads started

"Trade Ware"
"Trade Romo"
"Trade Witten"
"Lets rebuild"
"We're an 8-8 team"
"Romo's stats in the clutch"
"It's time to move on from...."
"We'll never win with Jerry"
"We could of had Floyd and Frederick"
"Fire Garrett"

Reaction score
3 simple reasons I think Garrett is responsible for the defense

1. He is the HC and the HC is responsible for the performance of the TEAM not just the offense
2. He hired the DC
3. Everyone says that he has significant input in players drafted and signed and that includes the defense

If Garrett is not responsible no one is

Having says that, there is no way Garrett gets fired if we end the season 8-8 or better

Because he is "Teflon Garrett"

Unfortunately none of the 3 reasons you listed are true,,,

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If we keep struggling we'll find out soon enough who has who's back, and who has a knife.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Is Garrett on the hot seat? Now I am not saying he will be in jeopardy of being fired immediately if we lose, I am just asking if a loss puts him on the hot seat? Meaning, will Jerry maybe start to think about some what if scenarios and what direction to go in if this thing heads south and we miss the playoffs.

Missing the playoffs when the NFC East is historically bad would be about as huge a coaching blunder as it would get. If you cant win the East this year, of all years, then yikes!!!

I say yes, if we lose to Philly and drop out of first, I think Garrett is officially on the hot seat then. If we then lose at Detroit the following week................well, lets just say that scenario would not play out well for Garrett.

Or we could lose and Jerry says "its a moral victory" and we get more of the same.........status quo.

I think Garrett was on the hot seat at the start of the season but I don't think any one game is a make or break game, I think the season as a whole is what will determine his fate. Thing with sports it follows no script if by chance if we dropped this game who is to say Dallas does not reel off 4 or 5 game in a row and sitting at the top. We play the games as they come and at the end of 16 we see where we are.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
The Cowboys are starting a pretty tough schedule in the coming weeks. If they lose 3 out of 4 games, I think he's on the hotseat.

starfrombirth

Reaction score
I think the team would have to quit like they did on Wade a few years ago. Garrett is the adopted son of Jerry and he will get all the leeway in the world. Also, Jerry can see that we have a new defense and a ton of injuries so that will be a built in buffer. I see Jerry taking steps to correct the cap issues and he is going to make sure he and Stephen are doing there part before he holds JG completely accountable. Jerry wants to win and no one can deny that JG has been a big part of changing the culture on his team. There is talent on this team but it's all on offense with just a few defensive stars. Give Jerry and JG one good defensive draft behind Kiffen and Marinelli and then we can seriously discuss whether Jason is on the hotseat.

NeonNinja

Dash28
Reaction score
Honestly, I have no idea what Jerry will do if the Cowboys miss the playoffs this year. But if they do miss for the fourth consecutive year, it compels the question: What are the reasons for retaining Garrett? What has he shown you to suggest he's worth keeping around?

The NFC East is extremely weak this season. If you can't get in this year, when can you?

My thoughts on the season exactly. I do think the only way he's fired is if we miss the playoffs, especially with how weak the division is.

Cowboysfan22

Reaction score
No Garrett is not on the hot seat nor will be soon Jerry likes him to much and I'm a firm believer that a coach can make a difference, but it ultimately comes down to players playing football.

Aven8

Reaction score
I think he's been on the hot seat since the beginning of the season.

Jerry just spent a fortune on Romo. If he stays healthy for all 16 games and we don't get to the dance, he's canned.