If we're picking future quarterbacks

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
I second that......his passing game has improved a bunch

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
VACowboy said:
My choice is Vince Young. What a player.

No, no, and no.

If he was drafted right now, he'd easily be at LEAST two years of riding the bench before he's ready. And that's hoping he'd put in the work to get things straightened out. His mechanics are putrid and he can't read defenses worth a lick. Superb athlete with superb size, but I think Michael Vick was a far superior QB at the same stage.

Rich...........

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
I'd take Vince Young ... as a WR. His passing game is HORRIBLE. Go ahead and point out his final stats, but most of those yards were Yac and after he threw to WIDE OPEN WRs. He's the most talented player in the nation, but he's not a good passer. Blame the Texas coaches for not working on his mechanics and throwing motion. To be in the NFL he'll have to go to a team willing to be patient with him while they teach him to throw a football properly.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
I knew the Vince Young Parade would come marching in as soon as the game ended.

:rolleyes:

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:
No, no, and no.

If he was drafted right now, he'd easily be at LEAST two years of riding the bench before he's ready. And that's hoping he'd put in the work to get things straightened out. His mechanics are putrid and he can't read defenses worth a lick. Superb athlete with superb size, but I think Michael Vick was a far superior QB at the same stage.

Rich...........
What Young has that Vick doesn't is true QB size to absorb more licks and to see over the line. If those OSU LBs had ben hitting Vick like that his ribs woulda fell off.

I do think Young would need lots of work but the guy has as much talent and potential as anyone in the country including Lienart. He's just not a sure thing like Matt is.

5mics

Next Year's Champions
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
So it begins, the Radio jock riding will reach unimaginable levels because of this win. :banghead:
And if the Longhorns had lost?! Gee, I wonder what would be the talk on the airwaves..... :rolleyes: This is a BIG win no matter how people try to spin it! Ohio St. in their own backyard!!! GREAT game Vince, that's how you HOOK a Buckeye..... :D

Bizwah

Reaction score
Where are the coaches when these players are kids? Why can't they teach the proper technique to throw a football?

And let's not put the cart before the horse here.......I seriously doubt Young leaves. Mac Brown keeps his players at Texas. I think Young stays.

VACowboy

Reaction score
This is the first time I've seen him play. He seems immensely talented.

aggiecurt05

Reaction score
I am still wondering what people see in this guy. It is ludicrous to think that his passing ability comes anywhere near to success in the NFL. Should he be a first round pick, maybe, but definitely not at QB. If you guys think that Quincy had accuracy problems, then the cowboys would jump to the next level by bringing in Young. Someone mentioned that he has the physical stature of a qb more than Vick, but Young doesn't have near the arm accuracy or ability to read a defense (which is sad because those are two of Vick's weaknesses) (and frankly doesn't run as well either- not when everyone else is bigger and faster). I am so tired of the hype that surrounds QB's from Texas. Comparing Simms, who has done nothing with Tampa, and VYoung, there isn't even a question of who was more of an NFL ready qb, and look at what has happened with Simms. If you look at his stat sheet, you might be impressed, but my gosh his passes never come close to threading the needle, he survives on a far superior receiving corps (although I think leinart is in the same boat) to get wide open so he can lob one up and hope.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Bizwah said:
Where are the coaches when these players are kids? Why can't they teach the proper technique to throw a football?

And let's not put the cart before the horse here.......I seriously doubt Young leaves. Mac Brown keeps his players at Texas. I think Young stays.
QB is the most undercoached position in football. Nine times out of 10 the kid at QB is already athletically gifted so the coaches let them do as they please.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
VACowboy said:
Heh. Then I retract my vote.
He's got some very real gifts. Too undisciplined at times for me, but exciting to watch.

I'm serious about the Postons BTW.

VACowboy

Reaction score
Hostile said:
He's got some very real gifts. Too undisciplined at times for me, but exciting to watch.

I'm serious about the Postons BTW.

He's probably too raw for Parcells. He seems extremely talented, though.

What makes ya think he would go with the Postons? It amazes me that anyone does.