If you could pick one Former Cowboys Coach to take the reigns right now. Who do you choose?

cowboyec

Reaction score
RIP Coach Landry. There's a reason why he was replaced, the game passed him by.

I'd go with Chan Gaily. We have a modern day college type players and strength. He could do some damage with this squad.
the hell it did.....that team in '88 never quit and with a few exceptions were competitive in every game....in most cases they had the lead going into the 4th quarter.
they didnt have the talent they used to and were incredibly young.

the back2back Super Bowl Champs featured many Landry Cowboys...Irvin,Newton,Gogan,Tuinei,Bates,Norton,jr...Jeffcoat.
The game DID NOT pass him by.

cityochamps

What Just Happened Here
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Got to be Jimmy, he can motivate anyone.

“Winning is not a sometime thing; it’s an all-time thing. You don’t win once in a while, you don’t do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.” -Vince Lombardi

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here are the choices:

1. Tom Landry - R.I.P. to the legend. But would he have been able to succeed with this team in this era?
2. Jimmy Johnson - Could he mirror his previous success in this era of Free Agency/Salary Cap, motivate and get a SB?
3. Barry Switzer - Did he just ride the coat tails of Jimmy Johnson's team?
4. Chan Gailey - He had a lackluster team at the time. Could he turn this one around?
5. Dave Campo - See above and subtract even more. But could he lead this team to the SB?
6. Bill Parcells - Could he motivate these players instantly to a SB?
7. Wade Phillips - Was his last season here really bad luck during all of those losses?
8. Jason Garrett - Is he on the right track to a SB?

- Or: Other (Offensive or Defensive Coordinators for example)

I have to go with Jimmy Johnson. He proved it with the Cowboys and turned a Dolphins team around and into the playoffs.

I would offer Jimmy a contract that pays 1 dollar per year with a 1 billion dollar bonus for winning the Super Bowl.

The contract would give him control over all football operations with no actual involvement from Jerry.

Jimmy would only be required to have an assistant submit reports to Jerry such that Jerry can continue to pretend to be the GM in front of cameras.

Jerry would be allowed to have an A/V tech splice together video making it appear that Jerry is in the draft room but he would actually be banned.

Jimmy would not be required to ever be in the same room with Jerry and Jerry would be required to take his private Jet to games and not ride the team plane.

Jerry would still get the freedom to talk to the media as much as he wants and pretend to be the GM.

Jimmy would be required to take the 1 billion and walk away quietly but his name would immediately be in the ring of honor.

Having said that, Jerry might at well just offer the same deal to Belichick...

Hot_Toddy

Reaction score
Everyone gets a like for being fans of the Cowboys. And everything the star represents! :thumbup:

Interesting posts. Thanks.

Quick thoughts:

I was really pulling for Sean Peyton at the time. I knew he would be a good one.

I mentioned Jimmy, Landry, I liked Parcells but never liked that he wasn't a homegrown Cowboy (but that darn ex-Giant groomed Romo and was a heck of a coach), I like Garrett (I know, I expect to hear it now). Phillips was actually good with this team initially. But then had one of those bizarre seasons in his last year here. Switzer, in 4 years; I still don't know what to think after his last season here, Gailey was good at Defense, Campo; tough to say to this day.

Dave Wannstedt and Norv Turner (90's O and D coordinators under Jimmy), they may have had success here in '94 forward.

It's sometimes tough to guess with the Salary Cap/Free agency era.

For instance: Could have Landry kept players here long enough to learn the Flex Defense?

Some questions we will never have the answers to. imo

Last edited:

Hot_Toddy

Reaction score
^ This is the viewpoint I would use. I would consider a prospect from a period during their prime when using a time machine to go back and grab them. With that in mind, this would be my head coach Back To The Future order:

1. Jimmy Johnson - could more likely produce a Super Bowl caliber team in the short-term
  2. Tom Landry - would assemble a long-term, competitive, Super Bowl caliber team
  3. Bill Parcells - could do a short-term turnaround like Johnson but would have a more conservative based offense
  4. Wade Phillips - could put together a competitive team in the short-term but would be dependent upon how long his players would manage themselves for high-level motivation
  5. Barry Switzer - could possibly build a competitive or maybe Super Bowl caliber roster with any of the hand-me-down rosters constructed by the four above but big question mark on his own NFL level roster constructing capability
  6. Jason Garrett - yeah/still better than...
  7. Chan Gailey - did not get a fair shake in Dallas but did not do anything in Buffalo/decent coordinator yet not as good as Phillips at that level either
  8. Dave Campo - the guy got videod getting pantsed
Great post! :hammer: