If you could pick one Former Cowboys Coach to take the reigns right now. Who do you choose?

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Jimmy would be my choice but being realistic. This team could of had Kyle Shanahan a few years ago. I kept saying how Dallas should bring him in but nope they chose to stick with Garrett. The thing about Shanahan is he knows how to use his RBs and calls a good game. He would of been a perfect fit in Dallas.

He would also know how to use Dak also.

Manster_Mash

Reaction score
I'll never forget those jackets. One of the best designs for a Cowboys Jacket that I remember. We need to release those again!

And the caps of 2007 or 2008 too. Great design/aesthetics.

Call up Charlotte, the Jones brothers or whoever is in charge of that portion of the marketing team to get those back on the market!
I've still got mine hanging in the closet. Great time period.

wecasa

Reaction score
Tom Landry invented modern football defense. We could use some of that innovation right now.
Thinking the same thing. A young Tom would have figured out the cap and had an innovative plan in place to handle it. I think Tom would have been more in the vein of Billecheck by not overpaying the wrong people and keeping the talent turnstile moving with the right talent. We have some talent now, but it's over valued. Not enough emphasis on a great D Line and coverage guys.

Maybe Tom Terrific as the GM and Jimmy Johnson as the coach. And Jer a silent owner who writes checks and stays out of football decisions. But that would never happen.

GMO415

Reaction score
RIP Coach Landry. There's a reason why he was replaced, the game passed him by.

I'd go with Chan Gaily. We have a modern day college type players and strength. He could do some damage with this squad.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I see Landry as the long term solution but short term to get this bad of losers going I would take Jimmy Johnson.

That said anyone over Garrett. That includes Campo.

Wait a second...Jimmy over Bill for the short term fix???? Sorry I take Bill.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Would it be Landry of the 70s? Jimmy before his burnout? Parcells of the 80s? What about former assistants?
^ This is the viewpoint I would use. I would consider a prospect from a period during their prime when using a time machine to go back and grab them. With that in mind, this would be my head coach Back To The Future order:

1. Jimmy Johnson - could more likely produce a Super Bowl caliber team in the short-term
  2. Tom Landry - would assemble a long-term, competitive, Super Bowl caliber team
  3. Bill Parcells - could do a short-term turnaround like Johnson but would have a more conservative based offense
  4. Wade Phillips - could put together a competitive team in the short-term but would be dependent upon how long his players would manage themselves for high-level motivation
  5. Barry Switzer - could possibly build a competitive or maybe Super Bowl caliber roster with any of the hand-me-down rosters constructed by the four above but big question mark on his own NFL level roster constructing capability
  6. Jason Garrett - yeah/still better than...
  7. Chan Gailey - did not get a fair shake in Dallas but did not do anything in Buffalo/decent coordinator yet not as good as Phillips at that level either
  8. Dave Campo - the guy got videod getting pantsed

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
^ This is the viewpoint I would use. I would consider a prospect from a period during their prime when using a time machine to go back and grab them. With that in mind, this would be my head coach Back To The Future order:

1. Jimmy Johnson - could more likely produce a Super Bowl caliber team in the short-term
  2. Tom Landry - would assemble a long-term, competitive, Super Bowl caliber team
  3. Bill Parcells - could do a short-term turnaround like Johnson but would have a more conservative based offense
  4. Wade Phillips - could put together a competitive team in the short-term but would be dependent upon how long his players would manage themselves for high-level motivation
  5. Barry Switzer - could possibly build a competitive or maybe Super Bowl caliber roster with any of the hand-me-down rosters constructed by the four above but big question mark on his own NFL level roster constructing capability
  6. Jason Garrett - yeah/still better than...
  7. Chan Gailey - did not get a fair shake in Dallas but did not do anything in Buffalo/decent coordinator yet not as good as Phillips at that level either
  8. Dave Campo - the guy got videod getting pantsed
Spot on.

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

I'd go with Chan Gaily. We have a modern day college type players and strength. He could do some damage with this squad.
Interesting take. I always thought Gaily wasn't given enough time as Head Coach....but Gaily over Tom Landry and Jimmy Johnson?? I don't think so.....

Flamma

Reaction score
I'm going to have to go with the coach I know has the Cowboys ready to play in week 1 every season. Dallas would not be 3-3 this season with Tom Landry. It's other teams trying to catch up to the Cowboys readiness, not the other way around. That's the Cowboys problem right now so I'll have to go with Tom.

The game passed him by in '88? Not a lot changed at that point other than his crap roster. They said that about Dick Vermeil when he went to the Rams.

ultron

Reaction score
Jimmy would get multiple rings with this team but he also had a nice supporting cast of coordinators - right now we're literally rolling with rookie coordinators (Moore and Richards)

kramskoi

Reaction score
Jimmy Johnson...anyone with the balls to call a win against the Seifert era 49ers before it happened is my kind of guy. Bernie Kosar finished that game after Aikman got his bell rung.

“We will win the ballgame, and you can put it in three-inch headlines. We will win the ballgame.”

Needless to say...Jerry Rice and Co. were HIGHLY motivated at kickoff.

1. You get the level of performance you tolerate.
It's human nature to find the easiest path. If you accept subpar results than you shouldn't be surprised to get more performance at that same level. If you want to raise the bar, then you need to make it very clear that underperforming is unacceptable. In order to motivate you need to make the current situation uncomfortable in some way to spur change.

Last edited:

blueblood70

Reaction score
Gave ya a like for the coach you picked.

But, am I the only one on this board that likes the Jones'? Jerry did help assemble that 90's team.

Jerry does a a lot for these fans. He gives loyalty and deserves loyalty imo.

Boy do I wish we could get Jimmy and Jerry to run this Dallas Cowboys show again!

Now, back to the main thread.....
NO I know where you are coming from Jerry Hired Jimmy, Jerry did have BIG input and gave Jimmy all the resources he needed to build the 90s teams..theres no evidence after the new era Salary caps and FA etc etc that Jimmy would have kept having success..

they did it together and you cant have one without the other..

But our frustration is not ownership they've done tons for the nfl and the DC star etc
its the GM part theres not a lot of cushion or layers for accountability when your owner is also President and GM...I get his points about firings and changes and starting over if he weren't the GM but after 1997-2003 debacle I think it was bad move by the owner to not fore Himself the GM.. other then that I do like the Ownerships passion for the Star..