If you had it to do all over with Romo and Dak in 2016

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
the romo hurt is real. lmao. they're the guys in Mcdonald's hollering and making a scene because the shake-making isn't working. lmao :D

Kingofholland

Reaction score
You just described Dak Prescott.Stop romancing him.
And the odds of winning that game greatly increase with Romo as the starter.
Not giving Romo his job back just shows the stupidity of Garrett and Jones shouldn't have no say in naming starters.

Glad you see my point, Dak and Romo are one in the same in their careers in the biggest moments. What makes you think Romo would do any better? There was no way the Cowboys could have gone back to Romo after the stretch the team had.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Maybe because he literally did just that his previous season as a starter?

I don't know..... I'm just spit balling here.....

Romo played 4 games the year prior throwing for 5 tds and 7 ints. Maybe 2 years prior?

plasticman

Reaction score
Romo wouldn't have lasted three games without being driven off in a cart. The fact that no other team was interested in him should tell us everything we need to know.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Glad you see my point, Dak and Romo are one in the same in their careers in the biggest moments. What makes you think Romo would do any better? There was no way the Cowboys could have gone back to Romo after the stretch the team had.

Okay...ya'll want stats.....but then you don;t pay attention to THESE:

Dallas Cowboys team records

- In 12 NFL seasons Troy Aikman completed 61.5 percent of his passes for 32,942 yards. He threw for 165 touchdowns and 141 interceptions. His career passer rating was 81.6.
- In 11 NFL seasons Roger Staubach completed 57 percent of his passes for 22,700 yards. He threw for 153 touchdowns and 109 interceptions. He retired with an 83.4 career passer rating.
- In 9 NFL seasons, Romo has completed 64.5 percent of his passes for 20,834 yards. He’s thrown for 149 touchdowns and only 72 interceptions.

Romo has the highest quarterback rating of any these quarterbacks.

From 2007 to 2016, he led all quarterbacks with a 103.5 rating in the fourth quarter or overtime. Also, his 23 fourth-quarter comebacks and 27 game-winning drives from 2006 to 2014 ranked first for all quarterbacks. For his career, he ranks 17th in fourth-quarter comebacks (24) and 21st in game-winning drives (29).

his 7.89 yards per attempt ranks eighth all-time.

His 97.1 passer rating is the ninth-best in league history. You always want your signal-caller to have an accurate arm, and Romo had that to a tee. He finished his career with a completion percentage of 65.3, tied for 10th all-time with Peyton Manning, who was just recently selected to the 2021 Hall of Fame class.

There's more stats...if that's what you want to believe in.....FACT...Tony ranks right up there in QB stats with not only Cowboys QB's but the best QB's ever.

NOTE: these stats taken from all over and some might be outdated by now.....He was a GREAT QB among very good QB's of his time.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Romo wouldn't have lasted three games without being driven off in a cart. The fact that no other team was interested in him should tell us everything we need to know.
People keep saying no other team was interested, which is nonsense.

But yes, he was damaged goods who had a super high ceiling by then, but a risky floor (as in not playing at all)
He had zero interest in playing on a crappy team at that stage in his career, and the broadcaster booth was calling.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Okay...ya'll want stats.....but then you don;t pay attention to THESE:

Dallas Cowboys team records

- In 12 NFL seasons Troy Aikman completed 61.5 percent of his passes for 32,942 yards. He threw for 165 touchdowns and 141 interceptions. His career passer rating was 81.6.
- In 11 NFL seasons Roger Staubach completed 57 percent of his passes for 22,700 yards. He threw for 153 touchdowns and 109 interceptions. He retired with an 83.4 career passer rating.
- In 9 NFL seasons, Romo has completed 64.5 percent of his passes for 20,834 yards. He’s thrown for 149 touchdowns and only 72 interceptions.

Romo has the highest quarterback rating of any these quarterbacks.

From 2007 to 2016, he led all quarterbacks with a 103.5 rating in the fourth quarter or overtime. Also, his 23 fourth-quarter comebacks and 27 game-winning drives from 2006 to 2014 ranked first for all quarterbacks. For his career, he ranks 17th in fourth-quarter comebacks (24) and 21st in game-winning drives (29).

his 7.89 yards per attempt ranks eighth all-time.

His 97.1 passer rating is the ninth-best in league history. You always want your signal-caller to have an accurate arm, and Romo had that to a tee. He finished his career with a completion percentage of 65.3, tied for 10th all-time with Peyton Manning, who was just recently selected to the 2021 Hall of Fame class.

There's more stats...if that's what you want to believe in.....FACT...Tony ranks right up there in QB stats with not only Cowboys QB's but the best QB's ever.

NOTE: these stats taken from all over and some might be outdated by now.....He was a GREAT QB among very good QB's of his time.

Romo was 2-4 in the playoffs and never made it beyond the divisional round. I don't know if you're trying to say Romo is better than Aikman and Staubach but the game is much different today than back then. It's why 18 out of 20 of the all-time QBR leaders are QBs over the last 20 years. Much harder to do that when old rules didn't favor the passing game.

Dak and Cousins right now have a higher career ratings than Romo too. It's definitely an efficiency metric that you have to consider with other factors. Tony Romo is basically Danny White, but atleast White got to the NFC championship a few times and was 10-8 in the playoffs.

Romo was a very good player for the Cowboys and probably should have had more playoff success, but we talk about him like we benched a hall of famer in his prime years. Romo was pretty bad in 2015 when he was available and his prior playoff success wasn't exactly glowing either. Dak won 13 regular season games and was on a great run while Romo was recovering. Who knows how it would have played out with Romo as a starter in the playoffs but if we benched Dak and Romo failed all we would be talking about is what a dumb decision it was to bench Dak. Cowboys made the right call...

stuckindc

Reaction score
Romo said it best in Football Life. By the end of 2013 he had pretty much figured out the mental part. There wasn’t much of anything that could be thrown at him that he couldn’t handle. The problem was his body was to broken down. I paraphrased. But you get the gist. Had he come back in 2016, not sure his body would have withstood the beating. At that point in his career he was literally a hit away , every play. And not a kill shot. A routine sack. The other thing is let’s say they do put him in after he was cleared. It doesn’t automatically make him in top form. He came back the year prior after injury against the Panthers. And he was not sharp or even good. It really doesn’t matter and Dak in 2016 playoffs was very good. It took a miracle throw by Rogers and strong hands holding onto the ball on the Heath sack the play prior.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Romo was 2-4 in the playoffs and never made it beyond the divisional round. I don't know if you're trying to say Romo is better than Aikman and Staubach but the game is much different today than back then. It's why 18 out of 20 of the all-time QBR leaders are QBs over the last 20 years. Much harder to do that when old rules didn't favor the passing game.

Dak and Cousins right now have a higher career ratings than Romo too. It's definitely an efficiency metric that you have to consider with other factors. Tony Romo is basically Danny White, but atleast White got to the NFC championship a few times and was 10-8 in the playoffs.

Romo was a very good player for the Cowboys and probably should have had more playoff success, but we talk about him like we benched a hall of famer in his prime years. Romo was pretty bad in 2015 when he was available and his prior playoff success wasn't exactly glowing either. Dak won 13 regular season games and was on a great run while Romo was recovering. Who knows how it would have played out with Romo as a starter in the playoffs but if we benched Dak and Romo failed all we would be talking about is what a dumb decision it was to bench Dak. Cowboys made the right call...
You make some very good points....and i did not mean to say romo was better.....just by posting a stat or two .

My real point is that if we are using stats....he wasnt as bad as some make him out. "Choker"....is a myth.

starfan1

Reaction score
Romo said it best in Football Life. By the end of 2013 he had pretty much figured out the mental part. There wasn’t much of anything that could be thrown at him that he couldn’t handle. The problem was his body was to broken down. I paraphrased. But you get the gist. Had he come back in 2016, not sure his body would have withstood the beating. At that point in his career he was literally a hit away , every play. And not a kill shot. A routine sack. The other thing is let’s say they do put him in after he was cleared. It doesn’t automatically make him in top form. He came back the year prior after injury against the Panthers. And he was not sharp or even good. It really doesn’t matter and Dak in 2016 playoffs was very good. It took a miracle throw by Rogers and strong hands holding onto the ball on the Heath sack the play prior.

This!!
there are still alot of butthurt fans that cant let it go. Many in this thread. That said dak has not built on the success of 2016 & 18 his potential has stalled. i feel like his issues and Zekes issues coincide with the downfall of the offensive line. part of zekes problem also are the amount of carries over the years and the lack of elusiveness. You can only truck people for so long!

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This!!
there are still alot of butthurt fans that cant let it go. Many in this thread. That said dak has not built on the success of 2016 & 18 his potential has stalled. i feel like his issues and Zekes issues coincide with the downfall of the offensive line. part of zekes problem also are the amount of carries over the years and the lack of elusiveness. You can only truck people for so long!
Yep...I know you're talking about me. It's fine...if defending Romo from the myths and lies fans have built in their head is "butthurt" well then color me hurt.

I never create these kinds of threads all I have to do is wait for some idiot to claim Romo is a choker. The stats everyone want to see inconveniently (for them) show otherwise and they show their true colors by ignoring them.

I'm okay with "moving on" It is what it is. . *I* also do not get "butthurt" with discussion about it. People can say their piece either way...but Imma step in when the lies start.

It's HILARIOUS the same people that defend Dak with "it's a team game" blast Romo for his playoff record. Total and complete hypocrites.

BigD_95

Reaction score
Going back to 2016.

Even though Romo probably would have crumbled on the next sack he took, a part of me will always wonder what would have happened if Romo had been given a chance to gain his starting job back during the second half of the 2016 season.

Not saying that there was a chance in hell of that ever happening, but I do believe that if Romo had gotten the opportunity and if he could somehow have stayed healthy for the rest of the season, I do somehow believe he would have taken the Cowboys to the SB.

Something about that one series drive he had against the Eagles that made it look too easy. He looked like he was playing golf.

Knowing now that Dak was going to become just an above average QB, any regrets for not giving Romo one last shot?

Easy - Romo should have got his job back. He was 10x the QB then and would have given us a actual chance to have won a SB

lostar2009

Reaction score
The issue with Romo was his back. Im sure he couldve played and won games. A SB? Who knows how the refs wouldve made up something new to screw us that year. I cant think of anything more Dak couldve done that year. He was playing at a very high level and did one hell of a "almost come back" in the playoffs.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Yep...I know you're talking about me. It's fine...if defending Romo from the myths and lies fans have built in their head is "butthurt" well then color me hurt.

I never create these kinds of threads all I have to do is wait for some idiot to claim Romo is a choker. The stats everyone want to see inconveniently (for them) show otherwise and they show their true colors by ignoring them.

I'm okay with "moving on" It is what it is. . *I* also do not get "butthurt" with discussion about it. People can say their piece either way...but Imma step in when the lies start.

It's HILARIOUS the same people that defend Dak with "it's a team game" blast Romo for his playoff record. Total and complete hypocrites.

Holy crap! Wow...I'm getting some good lyrics to write a tune.