If you had it to do all over with Romo and Dak in 2016

starfan1

Reaction score
The Cowboys had the greatest weapon in the last 20 years (2016 O Line) and you were glad we dumped the best QB on the team that would have given us the best chance to succeed that year.

And you are a Cowboy Fan? . . . OK makes sense
lol ya because he had so much success prior. Ya Im a cowboy fan not a ROMO fan. Ill leave that to you Romorooters in this thread.

starfan1

Reaction score
What does this even mean . . . and why do people talk this way to prove a point

Payton Manning says Hi

you may want to quit while behind. your love for a QB whose been gone 6 years and who won all of 2 playoff games while here is going to make you look silly. 2-4 versus 14-13 and 2 super bowls

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
If I go back to 2016 the only thing I do different is draft J Ramsey at 4.
It's what I would have done then as well.

And that's not meant as any pile on Zeke thing. I just do not believe RB are ever worth top 5 picks in the modern era of football even if you do get top 5 RB play for 7-8 years.

Romo had lost the locker room largely because he made the most money and practiced the least.
He certainly didn't have a football field built in his back yard.
And as with Zeke this isn't about shots at Tony but his body was beat and he couldn't even play golf much less any football beyond getting to the game.

Reactions: G2

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score

And that's not meant as any pile on Zeke thing. I just do not believe RB are ever worth top 5 picks in the modern era of football even if you do get top 5 RB play for 7-8 years.

Romo had lost the locker room largely because he made the most money and practiced the least.
And as with Zeke this isn't about shots at Tony but his body was beat and he couldn't even play golf much less any football beyond getting to the game.
I agree. At the time I was (and still am) against drafting a RB that early. Not unless you're a player away from postseason success. And then they made it worse by that silly contract. I like Elliott, it's nothing against him, just the simple nature of RBs longevity.
I'm not a fan of Ramsey, but......

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Go look it up. Remember Parcells built a Defense before he was ran off by Jerry Dumbo GM Jones.
Who can forget the great Jacques Reeves almost single handedly giving up a 71 yard drive, a TD, and all the momentum in the last 53 seconds of the half of a playoff game.

Who can forget, in one of those 8-8 season enders you mentioned earlier, the defense giving up 174 rushing yards to the Skins.

Man, I miss those great defenses Romo had.

Both the revisionist history, and the double standards are off the charts.

DFWJC

Reaction score
but they won.
That's kind of the point of the thread.
Dallas should've totally controlled that game offensively against that awful Green bay D, with a time of possession and relentless domination on the offensive end.
But we fell behind 21-3 and even had a red zone interception. Ended up playing catchup the rest of the way

By the way, I WAS NOT one of the ones here screaming that we play Romo.

I did think we should've done it and that we had a higher ceiling with him, but the Zeke/Dak combo was working well and I could see why some might want to ride it out.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Romo haters are glad zeke was drafted. IF not for Zeke....Dak would not have had near the success. Rookie: 1600+ rushing yards, 11 yards per rec. (those are 1st downs!), and very solid pass protection says so.

Romo would have been put back in.

Unlike previous injuries...Dak allowed Tony to get fully healthy before playing again....Tony often played hurt...and people call him lazy? Aloof?

His last drive showed what a fully healthy Romo is capable of.....but we had to protect Dak's fragile ego and not upset his "lucky streak". Superstition....crazy way to run and NFL team. Or any business for that matter.

Once Romo's team deteriorated....we see the true results of Dak's capabilities. It's not terrible....but it isn't very special either.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
No win situation. If Romo was put in there and Dallas lost many of the same people would be saying how stupid he was to take out Dak after getting this team to the dance. After the fact it is easy to play the what if game, You know if Romo takes over and leads the Cowboys to the SB yet 0 evidence that would happen thing with hypotheticals they always work in the favor of the person saying it . Romo playoff record no better than Dak.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The last Eagles game where Romo played a series showed that Romo was a better QB that game. They played against the same players, the same defense. Romo scored a TD easily when Dak couldn't. That being said, Dak was capable of staying healthier and had the locker room...which is very important in the playoffs.
What? Eagles sucked that game. Dak and the team didn’t even try to win that game. Romo was the only one trying lol.

blueblood70

Reaction score
cant go back and change that all that momentum this team had there was no way to make the change foir the playoffs. not like Dak and zeke played poorly the offense played great against GB,.,so can we go back and add Micah ,Diggs, kearse, hooker,. and Quinn to that defense??? lol ,that id change in minute.

think hard about the 14/16 gb games, the rams 2018 playoff game etc really it was the defense that derailed so many playoff games the last decade+

as much as the total team lost it against 9ers , the defense gave up 4 straight scores in the first half and jumped off sides extending drives in the 2nd half yet Dak and the offense is all that being blamed as usual.

khiladi

Reaction score
Some people make the mistake of thinking Romo would have been reckless and taken too many chances etc - he didn't need to with the 2016 team plus he had matured like a fine wine. His play would have been like his MVP calibre season from 2014, arguably even better given he would have had Zeke who was fantastic in his rookie season. It's just common sense. I don't blame Dak for stepping aside and never have done - you wouldn't want a QB to do that - you would want any QB to back themselves and show confidence. It was on the front office and Garrett although the latter was merely a puppet so in reality it was just another bad decision by the FO. I genuinely think Dak would be a better QB now if he had played behind a QB like Romo, so yes just another hash of events by the FO.

Dak would still be Dak. You can’t teach processing speed.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak would still be Dak. You can’t teach processing speed.

When his first read isn't open and he starts panicking they might wanna try this before he checks it down to Zeke or gets sacked by one of his offlineman....:muttley:

KQIKmP.gif

khiladi

Reaction score
Who can forget the great Jacques Reeves almost single handedly giving up a 71 yard drive, a TD, and all the momentum in the last 53 seconds of the half of a playoff game.

Who can forget, in one of those 8-8 season enders you mentioned earlier, the defense giving up 174 rushing yards to the Skins.

Man, I miss those great defenses Romo had.

Both the revisionist history, and the double standards are off the charts.

Who can forget those burners at LB Ayodele and James not being able to stop a screen pass to save their lives the year prior against NO and Kitna basically saying that he was targeting James in pass coverage when they played Detroit in 2006 in December?

khiladi

Reaction score
When his first read isn't open and he starts panicking they might wanna try this before he checks it down to Zeke or gets sacked by one of his offlineman....:muttley:

KQIKmP.gif

How is Romo going to teach Dak anticipation? You either have it or you don’t.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How is Romo going to teach Dak anticipation? You either have it or you don’t.
His only anticipation is when his paycheck is going to hit his account.
Can't teach gridiron STUPID.......after his 1st read he's a deer in the headlights back there!!!!