If you had it to do all over with Romo and Dak in 2016

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
They made the right decision at the time but now we know we didn’t win squat with Dak so of course they should’ve gone with Romo.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
dak is done, time to move on. one more injury he'll be pushed around in a wheelchair by his boyfriend zeke if a couple of guys on here will let him.

time to move on

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
They made the right decision at the time but now we know we didn’t win squat with Dak so of course they should’ve gone with Romo.
it was the wrong decision at the time. Romo could have done the same or better. Romo had playoff experience and that's what's needed for Playoffs. everyone will point to the fight Dak put up in the playoffs, but lets not forget we got down 21 points before having to make a furious comeback.....

Blackspider214

Reaction score
This thread sums up how sad this franchise has become. Arguing over hypotheticals that will NEVER happen and was 6 years ago. And it is up to 19 pages. Not going to read one single reply as I want to keep the brain cells I have remaining. About as sad as discussing a single play in a divisional round playoff game from 8 years ago.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Well things they didnt consider was , no rookie has ever won a SB, guess they thought that didnt apply to them and dak lol.
And that with a strong run game , good OL, that maybe romo could do as well and probably better than dak, especially in the playoffs.
They just looked at the wins, and listened to the locker room talk too much.
I think with that roster, the ceiling was higher with Romo.
But as I've always said, I see why they stuck with Dak, whether I agreed with it or not.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This thread sums up how sad this franchise has become. Arguing over hypotheticals that will NEVER happen and was 6 years ago. And it is up to 19 pages. Not going to read one single reply as I want to keep the brain cells I have remaining. About as sad as discussing a single play in a divisional round playoff game from 8 years ago.

It was a pivotal and controversial decision. Should we not discuss decision made during D-Day? Because well it's done and over with? That's ridiculous.

If we had never seen Tony's final drive....I could understand. If Tony came back too early or just played hurt...I;d get it.

But he directed a PERFECT drive, healthy and total command of the game.

An experienced vet or lucky rookie? Hmmm....it's a worthy discussion if we can be adults about it.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Cooper Rush could've did the same thing against that team.....
But Dak went the whole game and didn't do squat.

Look, I get why they stuck with Dak, but I do think--unlike in 2015 when he had no business coming back so early-- Romo was fully healed and ready to return

Dak couldn't even remotely read defenses in 2016, but they had a script and formula that was working. It was definitely bus driving but grade A bus-driving.
He put together a very Tannehill (circa 2020) like season.

And if things for some reason broke down, he was capitalizing with his legs on occasion.
He played well, but there was a ceiling on his play at some point.

Water under the bridge at this point.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think with that roster, the ceiling was higher with Romo.
But as I've always said, I see why they stuck with Dak, whether I agreed with it or not.
A fair and mature view.

I will defend Tony when idiots say "he's done" or "he's a choker". Stats just don't show that.

But the decision was made....and we shall live with it.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
You missed his last drive when he did a surgical strike.

Running that kind of drive isn't "done"....not even close. A true master.
Yea and they got him out of the game so fast so he couldn't get hit. It was all fake. The guy was done. If he still had it, he would have beat out Dak easily. He didn't even try to go to another team and no other team was that interested in him. They knew.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Now who's making up stuff in their head.

SO what you are saying...if you think about it for a second...is cooper rush can score and win against bad teams. Like Dak and old Tony.

Whoops....you should think it through before you hit Post Reply.
Do I think Cooper Rush in week 17 can have one decent drive of scoring a touchdown against the lowly Eagles? Yep.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score

Look, I get why they stuck with Dak, but I do think--unlike in 2015 when he had no business coming back so early-- Romo was fully healed and ready to return

Dak couldn't even remotely read defenses in 2016, but they had a script and formula that was working. It was definitely bus driving but grade A bus-driving.

And if things for some reason broke down, he was capitalizing with his legs on occasion.
They had a great running game as well as a healthy O line, so I can see why fans think Romo would have done better. I wanted him to win big games in the worst way, he just never really did and then couldn't stay on the field. I imagine the staff and team preferred to roll with the hot hand.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yea and they got him out of the game so fast so he couldn't get hit. It was all fake. The guy was done. If he still had it, he would have beat out Dak easily. He didn't even try to go to another team and no other team was that interested in him. They knew.
Man I'm glad someone else said it. I can't believe people are using that as proof to show he still "had it". The guy retired right afterwards lol.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

Water under the bridge at this point.
Dak went the whole game without doing squat? He played 1 quarter IF THAT in that Philly game...maybe I'm misunderstanding your point here?

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They had a great running game as well as a healthy O line, so I can see why fans think Romo would have done better. I wanted him to win big games in the worst way, he just never really did and then couldn't stay on the field. I imagine the staff and team preferred to roll with the hot hand.
And we STILL can't win big games so...how exactly was it a great decision?

I can't figure but you smart guys have it all figured out. Good for you.