If you think Dak is the guy then you'd probably accept anyone

Cowboyz88

Reaction score
Posted this elsewhere, but it fits here as well.

The problem with half the fan base is that they think the Cowboys can or will go to QBs R Us and pick another QB to be the next franchise guy. So who are you going to plug in in Dak's stead?

Newsflash: Real, genuine franchise QBs don't come around often, and we as Cowboys fans have been very blessed over the decades.

As an undrafted free agent, Romo was literally an example of catching lightning in a bottle — it will likely never happen for this team again. So, A.) get over the thought that some UDFA will come in and be an All-Pro. I'm not a math guy, but the odds have to be astronomical.

B.) We don't have a first round pick, and we're likely picking late-ish in the second round, and again, the odds of finding QB1 there is long. More importantly, THE COWBOYS WON'T DRAFT A QB in second round of the 2019 NFL draft. It's just not going to happen. We're one game away from being in the playoffs with the QB so many hate, but if you think like Jerry/Garrett, they'll think that giving Dak more weapons will only help. More than likely, look for a TE there or possible OL.

C.) Later rounds? Again if you're thinking like Jerry/Garrett, it's highly unlikely given that they're already invested with two other young QBs (including late round pick, White, last year) behind Dak.

Hopefully (please, please, please) the F.O. will jettison Linehan, and hire the best OC available at any cost, who hopefully will bring in a QB coach who is amazing at developing QBs. We desperately need an offensive team who can help Dak get rid of all his warts.

I have stated a million times that I have a major love/hate thing happening with Dak, but I think for 2019, Dak is the guy. Just accept it.

Now, if he doesn't continue to improve, or, gulp, gets ever worse, then I think all bets are off for 2020.

InTheZone

Reaction score

The problem with half the fan base is that they think the Cowboys can or will go to QBs R Us and pick another QB to be the next franchise guy. So who are you going to plug in in Dak's stead?

Newsflash: Real, genuine franchise QBs don't come around often, and we as Cowboys fans have been very blessed over the decades.

As an undrafted free agent, Romo was literally an example of catching lightning in a bottle — it will likely never happen for this team again. So, A.) get over the thought that some UDFA will come in and be an All-Pro. I'm not a math guy, but the odds have to be astronomical.

B.) We don't have a first round pick, and we're likely picking late-ish in the second round, and again, the odds of finding QB1 there is long. More importantly, THE COWBOYS WON'T DRAFT A QB in second round of the 2019 NFL draft. It's just not going to happen. We're one game away from being in the playoffs with the QB so many hate, but if you think like Jerry/Garrett, they'll think that giving Dak more weapons will only help. More than likely, look for a TE there or possible OL.

C.) Later rounds? Again if you're thinking like Jerry/Garrett, it's highly unlikely given that they're already invested with two other young QBs (including late round pick, White, last year) behind Dak.

Hopefully (please, please, please) the F.O. will jettison Linehan, and hire the best OC available at any cost, who hopefully will bring in a QB coach who is amazing at developing QBs. We desperately need an offensive team who can help Dak get rid of all his warts.

I have stated a million times that I have a major love/hate thing happening with Dak, but I think for 2019, Dak is the guy. Just accept it.

Now, if he doesn't continue to improve, or, gulp, gets ever worse, then I think all bets are off for 2020.
wouldn't you agree that Dak isn't franchise material and that it would benefit the team to draft another QB and not mortgage the future by paying Dak? What Dak is asked to do and still struggles with I'd imagine it wouldn't be too hard to find a suitable replacement and go through the process again.

romothesavior

Reaction score

The issue is this: Dak can only win with an exceptional team around him.

If you pay him like a franchise QB, you cannot afford a good enough team to win.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
The problem is he puts together stretches of brilliance which you can’t help but hope becomes more the norm. I don’t see how you can pay him anything if he doesn’t show some improvement throwing downfield, seeing open receivers, and limiting his mistakes.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I'd imagine you were a fan and rooted for every single QB from Aikman to Romo and all of them in between, no doubt.

Is this the kind of offense you wish upon our team? Dink and dunk and if the secondary allows for it take a shot deep down the sideline?

I agree but we really have no options.

I’d like to get Derek Carr. His stock is low but he can throw the football and he’s mobile.

Dallas is married to Dak though but hopefully he figures out that he’s mobile and can run. He could help us if he would use his legs but he thinks he’s Aikman.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
I'd imagine you were a fan and rooted for every single QB from Aikman to Romo and all of them in between, no doubt.

Is this the kind of offense you wish upon our team? Dink and dunk and if the secondary allows for it take a shot deep down the sideline?
To answer your question - no it is not the kinda of offense I want or dream of

TwentyOne

Reaction score

never was a fan of romo and i think aikman is way overrated. but ill take carter on drugs over dak any day.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

No it’s not.

But that said as fans we have no control. So , we root our guy on complaining all the way to the bank.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Dallas is married to Dak though but hopefully he figures out that he’s mobile and can run. He could helps us if he would use his legs but he thinks he’s Aikman.
Serious question bro. Do you think that perhaps they are coaching him to stay in the pocket when it breaks down instead of allowing him to freelance? Because he freelanced @ Mississippi State...

Trust the pocket vs trust your instincts

BleedinBlue

Reaction score
1st thing I'd ask is the dink and dunk 100% entirely on Dak or is the scheme and game planning dictating?

BlueStar22

Reaction score

The funny thing is I saw a headline that says the Giants are committed to Eli for 2019. Like, they have to be considering the state of QB in the NFL. Yeah you draft a guy but you need at least competent QB play in a league where little separates the good from the average teams.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Serious question bro. Do you think that perhaps they are coaching him to stay in the pocket when it breaks down instead of allowing him to freelance? Because he freelanced @ Mississippi State...

I don’t know but QBs with half of Daks athleticism are looking to get out of the pocket to extend plays.

How many times today did Luck make plays with his legs?

It’s such an important trait for that position now days and he has the athleticism to do it but he just eats sacks.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

No way for us to know but since most QB’s in the league move outside the pocket extending plays I think it’s fair to assume Dak needs to move out of the pocket when he senses it collapsing. The bigger question is does he sense or feel it?

Cowboyz88

Reaction score
I agree but we really have no options.

I’d like to get Derek Carr. His stock is low but he can throw the football and he’s mobile.

Dallas is married to Dak though but hopefully he figures out that he’s mobile and can run. He could help us if he would use his legs but he thinks he’s Aikman.

No way, no how that the Raiders would trade Carr (not that I think they'd let him go anyway) to us, given Amari's success.