If you were Jerry Jones, how would you approach Dak for an extension?

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Shorter deal favors dak and longer deal favors cowboys. The idea is to spread the guaranteed money over a period of up to 5 years. That's a lot better than 4 years. Imo, Stephen is doing the right thing by wanting a 5 year deal. He has more than one player to consider.

Ideally, the guaranteed amount wouldn't be the same between 4 or 5 year contracts. It's hard to imagine Dak will get an equal or greater amount of money to prorate on a 4-year deal instead of a 5-year deal. It's all proportional. Even if he ends up sucking, you designate him a June 1st cut after year 3 and prorate the remaining cap hits of his 4-year deal over years 4 and 5. That gives you a lesser total guaranteed amount over the same 5-year period. If the team can't decide he's worth the money or not after 7 total seasons, we need some new leadership.

If the team doesn't make a deal, they're losing, IMO. Tagging a 2nd time and then trying to sign him long-term is what will cost the most. $69M guaranteed for 2020 and 2021, and then how much guaranteed after that? Total guarantees after a 2nd tag and subsequent contract, and you've basically paid the same amount as signing him now and guaranteeing all of it in a worst-case scenario. Only difference is, you're also going to take more cap hits if you have to cut him before the contract signed 2-years from now expires. Time is the key, and prices always go up. They could be close to, or halfway over, all the guarantees on a 4-year deal with nearly $70M guaranteed just by signing him to a 4-year deal right now.

Dallas is stupid to play the franchise tag game. He's worth or he isn't. Make a decision and live with it.

Flamma

Reaction score
There's no incentive for Dak to sign, if he plays anywhere near his 2019 level he'll gets $69m for two Franchise years.

Dallas would be hard pressed in cap space if they tagged him a 2nd time. It would be close to the dumbest thing the Cowboys ever did contract wise. We don't even know what the cap situation will be next season. There's a good chance it doesn't go up at all. Even if the Cowboys sign Dak to an extension I see a 2-3 year window. After that it blows up. Losing Cooper in 2022 and Zeke in 2023. So they really can't tag Dak again next year if the cap doesn't go up.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't have a chart of money, but the Cowboys get the nationally televised games and the media talk. Cowboys get the eyeballs. That translates into marketing money.

Look at the ranks of broadcasters. It's half Cowboys. Last two Dallas QBs are the lead color commentators for Fox and CBS. Moose. Irvin. Deion. Woodson.
A player doesn’t earn more money because his team gets a nationally aired game or gets talked about by the media. Maybe somewhat more exposure, ayou said, but at the end of the day, Dak gets some national campaigns, and others don’t. It’s not something happening across the team.

Hadenough

Reaction score
I’d have given him the four year deal already. He’s earned his extension. He bet on himself and delivered. We need a franchise QB. He’s earned it.
I just dont see it like that. He continually came up short in big games and everyone kept waiting for him to make some plays to win games. Sure he gets an A+ for beating the crap out of bad teams which isnt as easy as it sounds but he just had too many games where his play was up and down. Had he just gone into Philly and won that game he would of probably had a contract by now. The losses werent all his fault but he came up short in every one of them. Even the Vikings game he had chance and threw a terrible pass to Zeke. The only thing he has proved is that he can play in the NFL.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
At this point, I wouldn't approach him at all.
Let him prove himself under the new regime.

Resume negotiations in 2021.
This is the failed approach Jerry and Stephen took last year. It was totally disrespectful to Dak. Look at the end result? Dak refused to sign the lowballed offer by the Jones, hence HE BET ON HIMSELF AND PROVED HIMSELF IN 2019. By wanting to do the same this year to Dak is so wrong on so many levels. No wonder Dak is holding his ground even more now, not giving Jerry and Stephen an inch. How do you think Dak feels knowing Jerry jumped right away and gave Romo his first big contract after Romo (been on the team as a backup for 2.5 years) had only played 2/3rds as a starter for the 2006 season and led the team to the playoffs, while Dak as a bonafied rookie not only led the team to a 13-3 record, led them to the division round (2nd round) of the playoffs, almost beat the SB ex-champs Aaron Rodgers and his Packers) and also became the only Cowboys QB to win NFL Rookie of the Year along with other rookie record accomplishments? 4+ years later, Dak is being told to prove himself once again? That's totally wrong. How would you feel if you were in Dak's shoes? Can you blame Dak for being totally upset and now playing hardball with the Jones'?

shabazz

Reaction score
I still think this deal gets done in 15 minutes if both sides really wanted it done.

Just sit down and talk it out.

I’d have given him the four year deal already. He’s earned his extension. He bet on himself and delivered. We need a franchise QB. He’s earned it.

With all due respect, these two statements are completely diametrically opposed to the reality of the situation and should explain why a long term contract hasn't been signed. This deal wont get done in 15 minutes since they've had 4 years to mull this over and 1 playoff win in 4 years doesn't merit an extension.

The fact is that MM has seen greatness at the QB position and he knows Dak is not that.

There is no long term contract. Dak is merely another Kirk Cousins type stop gap

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Dallas would be hard pressed in cap space if they tagged him a 2nd time. It would be close to the dumbest thing the Cowboys ever did contract wise. We don't even know what the cap situation will be next season. There's a good chance it doesn't go up at all. Even if the Cowboys sign Dak to an extension I see a 2-3 year window. After that it blows up. Losing Cooper in 2022 and Zeke in 2023. So they really can't tag Dak again next year if the cap doesn't go up.

IF we're not going to pay Dak $37.7m (equivalent to the 2021 Franchise Tag) for 2021 then we'll need to increase the AAV for the remaining 2/3 years.

The following isn't anti-Dak, its an appreciation of the need for a longer contract.

Problems this creates for 2022 and 2023

1) 2022 - ($65-$70m CAP to spend - that's a generous calculation for annual increase and carry over)
- Losing Cooper 2022 - but its still $6m (Dead Money), Gallup will be a UFA and cost a lot more than $1m and we'll need a WR3 = not the $20m saving
-
Not including Dak + plus the make up money from 2021 = $40m??
- FA needs - 2 CB's, 2 Safeties, LB, DE ……..(after Dak we are dead last in CAP availability)
-
That's taking into account most of out draft signings become regulars

2) 2023 - ($95m ….again generous increase)

-Zeke -
dead money of $10m - WILL SAVE $12m
- Cut DLaw - save another $21m
- Doesnt include Dak money
- Doesnt include 2022 FA money
- FA needs - G, DT, DE
- Dead last in CAP availability BEFORE INCLUDING DAKs MONEY

Hadenough

Reaction score
Nobody thinks years have nothing to do with it, but it’s team that wants the longer deal, not Dak. From reports Dak is asking for something over 4 years around the price or maybe a litte above what Wentz and Goff got. How does asking for that take a lot of nerve? Seems like the going rate.
Dak got an offer for more money than those two QBs and turned it down.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
This is the failed approach Jerry and Stephen took last year. It was totally disrespectful to Dak. Look at the end result? Dak refused to sign the lowballed offer by the Jones, hence HE BET ON HIMSELF AND PROVED HIMSELF IN 2019. By wanting to do the same this year to Dak is so wrong on so many levels. No wonder Dak is holding his ground even more now, not giving Jerry and Stephen an inch. How do you think Dak feels knowing Jerry jumped right away and gave Romo his first big contract after Romo (been on the team as a backup for 2.5 years) had only played 2/3rds as a starter for the 2006 season and led the team to the playoffs, while Dak as a bonafied rookie not only led the team to a 13-3 record, led them to the division round (2nd round) of the playoffs, almost beat the SB ex-champs Aaron Rodgers and his Packers) and also became the only Cowboys QB to win NFL Rookie of the Year along with other rookie record accomplishments? 4+ years later, Dak is being told to prove himself once again? That's totally wrong. How would you feel if you were in Dak's shoes? Can you blame Dak for being totally upset and now playing hardball with the Jones'?

You do realise that finances change year on year ….what on earth has it got to do with Romo??

So they disrespect Dak when he has a down year (2018), but should pay him more than any of his contemporaries when he has a good season.

Look at the finances, we could pay Dak what he wants but it would mean us not able to replace Free Agents and even have to give ridiculous guaranteed money on already bad contracts.

Its nothing to do with Dak as a person or his ability, its about trying to pay him and continue to compete = longer contract.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
You do realise that finances change year on year ….what on earth has it got to do with Romo??

So they disrespect Dak when he has a down year (2018), but should pay him more than any of his contemporaries when he has a good season.

Look at the finances, we could pay Dak what he wants but it would mean us not able to replace Free Agents and even have to give ridiculous guaranteed money on already bad contracts.

Its nothing to do with Dak as a person or his ability, its about trying to pay him and continue to compete = longer contract.
You do realize Dak is fine with $35 million per year (he just signed a tag that 100% guarantees him $31.4 million this year that fully affects this year's salary cap)? Yes, it would tie him with Russell Wilson as the highest paid per year QBs (which will be easily overtaken by the new contracts Mahomes and Watson are soon to receive), but Dak is more worried about the length of the contract and the guaranteed portion of it. Of course, one should worry about the finances cost and how it affects the salary cap (all contracts do), but you don't gamble on a proven and still improving young stud QB who is franchise material and only going to keep getting better. Gamble that position away to save a few million dollars per year and see what happens? Don't be complaining later when reality hits because of how dumb it was to get rid of such young proven talent at your most important and effective position on the team.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
You do realize Dak is fine with $35 million per year (he just signed a tag that fully guarantees him $31.4 million this year that fully affects this year'ssalary cap)? Yes, it would tie him with Russell Wilson as the highest paid per year QBs (which will be easily overtaken by the new contracts Mahomes and Watson are soon to receive), but Dak is more worried about the length of the contract and the guaranteed portion of it. Of course, one should worry about the finances cost and how it affects the salary cap (all contracts do), but you don't gamble on a proven and still improving young stud QB who is franchise material and only going to keep getting better. Gamble that position away to save a few million dollars per year and see what happens? Don't be complaining later when reality hits of how dumb it was to get rid of such young proven talent at your most important and effective position on the team.

But it'll need to be for 5 years.

Rayman70

Reaction score
the way he has been approaching it is fine. The only snag is the years,not the money. So the only change I would offer Dak at this point would be make it a 4 year deal with a PLAYER option for a 5th year. That gives Dak the flexibility to change his mind later in case he rethinks it later. It also gives Dallas some ability to spread out the cap hit on the deal. BOTH SIDES WIN.

Rayman70

Reaction score
FOR THOSE clamoring for Dak to not sign a long term deal, I think you all are about to be disappointed. He will be signing a 4 year deal with a player option for that 5th year. Its just my own personal feeling. Its a win win for both parties. This thing will get done. Critical thinking on this tells me..why sign this tag NOW? I truly think it accomplishes 2 things...it gets him involved with his team and new staff, and it shows good faith on the new deal they are working on and it tells me its very close to done. No reason to sign that tag now otherwise. He could have easily waited til July 15th,but didnt. If he wanted to just bet on himself and play on the tag..he would have waited til the 15th. They were NEVER EVER gonna rescind the tag btw. THAT WAS A FAKE STORY MIKE FLORIO put out. Thats why I dont watch the talking heads.

HellCrowe

Reaction score

As a fan, I understand Dak is our best option but I just don’t believe in committing to him just yet. So honestly at this point I don’t care if he’s here long term or not.

To Dak and Jerry it means a whole lot more. We as fans are fans of not just the team but also individual players. So it’s understandable that we side with them on certain things especially, when and how long they are on our team.

It just so happens, in this situation, the FO sides with my thinking. He’s good but is he great? The other side pulls stats out because they believe he’s great. But the action of our FO nullifies that belief.

That’s why I always raise the question... what’s the hold up? Why hasn’t he been given what he wants if he is suppose to be our franchise QB for the long run?

Whether it’s fair or not, it’s business. Everyone else got paid so why not him? After all that’s said and done and Dak feels he needs to go because of the “disrespect,” I’ll wave goodbye and say hi to the next one.