If you've got Dog Questions I'm on my way to becoming a certified dog trainer...

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
so if any of you have any questions about behavioral problems, training issues...feel free to ask. I'll gladly give you advice that is 3/4 correct.

:)

diehard2294

America's Team
Reaction score
ok I'm first Dog whisperer;)

I have a small Morkie, 2 years old great dog learns quick

only thing is when you tell her to come here she just looks at you, my wife says she is just stubborn: any suggestions:D

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
diehard2294;3106806 said:
ok I'm first Dog whisperer;)

I have a small Morkie, 2 years old great dog learns quick

only thing is when you tell her to come here she just looks at you, my wife says she is just stubborn: any suggestions:D

You mean any suggestions about the dog or your wife? :D

Just an fyi, the "Dog Whisperer" Cesar Milan is a butcher.

The "recall" command can be a bit tricky. A few things to keep in mind, dogs are experts at body language, when most people say "Come" they do so with a forward lean which is counter to what you're asking the dog to do.

Remember, dogs are hardwired to chase....so if you say "come" and run away from the dog, chances are she will follow. Have a treat ready for when she does.

Also, if your dog will chase a toy and bring it back to you, as she turns to come back say "COME"...just once....not "come come come"

Also, do this stuff with NO distractions. Start in the house...then maybe the backyard WHEN you know you'll get 10 perfect repetitions in the house.

Think about us...when someone calls "Hey, come here for a second" we don't immediately spring up from what we're doing and come running.

Not sure if you've ever tried clicker training. If not, lemme know and I'll explain it to you. It's great for IMMEDIATELY marking the behavior we want. So the second the dog turns to come, if we click, it marks the good behavior. Think of it this way, when you go to the cabinet to get the dogs food, it comes because the sound of the cabinet or food being opened says "Oh boy, good things are coming" and the dog comes.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
CowboyFan74;3106870 said:
How do you get your dog to stop digging?

Typically a dog will dig because he's got too much excess energy, so the first thing I'd ask you is, is the dog getting enough exercise...

Also, challenge the dogs mind...new tricks...check out some of the Kong toys available at Amazon...

Sometimes they're digging to escape....sometimes to lie in the hole to stay cool.

Does the dog dig in the same spot each time???

diehard2294

America's Team
Reaction score
thanks juke and it's funny because when she is outside and barking I will tell her "no" and then come and she will come running to the door. I will try the things you suggest

the wife that's another story:D

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Juke99;3106881 said:
Typically a dog will dig because he's got too much excess energy, so the first thing I'd ask you is, is the dog getting enough exercise...

Also, challenge the dogs mind...new tricks...check out some of the Kong toys available at Amazon...

Sometimes they're digging to escape....sometimes to lie in the hole to stay cool.

Does the dog dig in the same spot each time???

Yes. Bingo. Now that you mentioned it since it's been in the 60's he's stopped digging but yeah he was digging in the same area all summer, drove me nuts. He also likes to bury his bones, especially new ones. I guess he doesn't like to share with our squirrels..:laugh2:

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
CowboyFan74;3106914 said:
Yes. Bingo. Now that you mentioned it since it's been in the 60's he's stopped digging but yeah he was digging in the same area all summer, drove me nuts. He also likes to bury his bones, especially new ones. I guess he doesn't like to share with our squirrels..:laugh2:

Set up a cool area for him...maybe shaded...gross as it might be, if you put some of his dog dump in the area he always digs, trust me, he'll stop digging there.

Burying bones is just something they do, that's different than digging..funniest thing about that though, is many of them forget where they buried the bone.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
diehard2294;3106910 said:
thanks juke and it's funny because when she is outside and barking I will tell her "no" and then come and she will come running to the door. I will try the things you suggest

the wife that's another story:D

With regard to the word "no"...that's human, not dog language.

If you only used "NO" for one particular behavior, it's effective. But a dog doesn't understand "no" for multiple behaviors.

Better off with "quiet"...

As far as getting the dog to come when you call, most important thing is, start in a place with NO distractions...also, for some odd reason, when we call a dog to come, we do so in a forceful manner. I tell owners all the time, "You're leaning forward when you say it. You're saying it in a forceful manner, would you come to you???"

And if the dog doesn't come, get close, let her smell a GOOOOOOD treat in your hand...and then move away and say the word "come" ONCE. Trust me, in time, she'll get it.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
I've talked to you before about integrating my 7 yr old jack russell with our new kittens, i have a slight update for you. We recently got Annie (the dog) over a mussel issue she had and interacts fairly well with the kittens but still occasionally goes all dominatrix on them (mainly with my little brother) we've been doing this for about a week combined with the chicken idea when shes being good when they are around. After how much time do you think it would be a good idea to attempt the integration minus the mussel?

justbob

Just taking it easy
Reaction score
Let me know when you train your dog to walk herself in the morning --then we will talk..Having three of the most intelligent dogs in the world -I need upper shelf advice:D

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Faerluna;3108046 said:

Ask any questions you'd like, he's a butcher. There isn't one certified trainer on the planet that I know of that thinks any differently about him.

And the WORST thing about him is, while he says that dogs aren't appliances that can be fixed....he magically transforms dogs in 10 minutes.

And then when someone tries the same with their dog and it doesn't work, they give up...or worse yet, bring them to a shelter. I see it all the time, I volunteer at one.

He's a butcher. Find me ONE training video on Amazon, or anywhere else that constantly uses a disclaimer "don't try this without the supervision of a professional" There's a reason they use that disclaimer on the show.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
justbob;3107776 said:
Let me know when you train your dog to walk herself in the morning --then we will talk..Having three of the most intelligent dogs in the world -I need upper shelf advice:D

Hey, we're up to 24 commands...not tricks. I'm not big on tricks. I'm big on good manners.

She's darn smart.

Amazing how she has adjusted. Two years in a cage in a shelter...it was like bringing a mountain lion home.

:)

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score
Juke99;3110797 said:
Ask any questions you'd like, he's a butcher.

Based on your comments, I think the more descriptive word would be "fraud" or maybe "charlatan" but certainly not butcher. That was why I couldn't fathom what you meant.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Faerluna;3110902 said:
Based on your comments, I think the more descriptive word would be "fraud" or maybe "charlatan" but certainly not butcher. That was why I couldn't fathom what you meant.

Duh for me. sorry...I toss that word around all the time.

Sorta like "hack"

I think he does what works for him...he's very unique. He has an energy that works, for him.

But what I try to do with all my pupils is tailor my training to their strengths.

he's big on that "alpha roll" and claims that's what wolves do. But it's not true. A submissive dog GIVES the roll to an alpha...the alpha doesn't force it over.

Great way to get bit.

Also, he's into all this dominance, etc. The vast majority of dogs aren't dominant. It's not that simple.

Finally, it's all negative. The idea is to rewire a dog's thinking. Negating a behavior is one thing but then you still haven't replaced the behavior with something more acceptable.

My rescue pooch had a phobia for UPS trucks. Go figure. She'd go NUTZ when she saw one. In fact, she lunged at one in the first few days I had her and tore the cartilage in my knee...needed an operation to fix it.

So what we did was, we'd go out when UPS trucks were in the neighborhood. I'd approach, stop at a distance that she was comfortable with and reward her...then eventually, I'd move closer...and reward for calm behavior until it got to the point that now her brain is wired to say "OH cool a UPS truck. I get a reward"

Anyway...sorry...I can ramble about this stuff much more than I can about the Cowboys.

Sorry for the confusion.

jubal

Reaction score
So thats where you went. Did'nt hear much from you after the operation. are you good now? still rehabing and going to school too?
I've got a horse for a dog that is a year old and insists everyone coming up to the house must pet and play with her. Just takes time to show her what we want from her.
She is getting better around me, but the wife can't hold or handle her.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
jubal;3112600 said:
So thats where you went. Did'nt hear much from you after the operation. are you good now? still rehabing and going to school too?
I've got a horse for a dog that is a year old and insists everyone coming up to the house must pet and play with her. Just takes time to show her what we want from her.
She is getting better around me, but the wife can't hold or handle her.

I just sorta stroll around here just making sure everyone's behaving. There are so many posts in each thread that by the time I get to post, it's already been said

Meniscus surgery went great..rehab has been lousy. I was doing great after a week. Not exactly sure what has happened since then...but yeah, I kept my classes going.

If you have any questions about your Horse/Dog, lemme know.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
How do you stop them from "talking" through the fence? When I let our dog out she runs straight to the fence and barks to see if the other dogs are out.