If you've got Dog Questions I'm on my way to becoming a certified dog trainer...

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;3112853 said:
How do you stop them from "talking" through the fence? When I let our dog out she runs straight to the fence and barks to see if the other dogs are out.

Will she come to you if you call her? That seems to be more the problem. I think it's ok if she runs over to see if any of her buddies are out and you might want to give her a few seconds for that...but then you should be able to get a recall with a "come" and she should come to you.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Juke99;3112897 said:
Will she come to you if you call her? That seems to be more the problem. I think it's ok if she runs over to see if any of her buddies are out and you might want to give her a few seconds for that...but then you should be able to get a recall with a "come" and she should come to you.

Once I can get her attention.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;3112899 said:
Once I can get her attention.

That's always the toughest part of a recall....getting their attention. Once you have their attention, the rest is pretty easy. Think of how many times you're sitting at home on the computer and the wife calls ya, you don't immediately come running (well, I'm sure YOU do) but most of us say, "Be there in a minute, lemme finish this"

What bugs you about the dog running to the fence?

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Juke99;3112902 said:
That's always the toughest part of a recall....getting their attention. Once you have their attention, the rest is pretty easy. Think of how many times you're sitting at home on the computer and the wife calls ya, you don't immediately come running (well, I'm sure YOU do) but most of us say, "Be there in a minute, lemme finish this"

What bugs you about the dog running to the fence?

The barking and running back and forth. Angus was much worse. He'd run until he gave out if I let him.

Oh and we have a six foot privacy fence not a chain link.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;3112905 said:
The barking and running back and forth. Angus was much worse. He'd run until he gave out if I let him.

Oh and we have a six foot privacy fence not a chain link.

So, it's a non stop, frantic running back and forth, not just a short few seconds?

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;3112909 said:
Non stop if we'd let them

OK....sorry to ask so many questions but...

Could be a number of things...could just be a burst of energy...if it's the first thing in the morning...or when you come home...you might want to try to burn some of that energy off first.

Also, you might want to break the habit of opening the back door and letting her run out...make it a case where she waits at the door and walks along side of you.

Work on the "come" command which you should be able to get regardless of what is happening. It could be a life saver some day.

My nickel bet is that she's got a lot of energy that needs to be tapped out.

Do you get the sense that it's "social" barking or property guarding?

And always remember, it's better to replace the behavior with a more suitable one that to just try to negate it.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Juke99;3112915 said:
OK....sorry to ask so many questions but...

Could be a number of things...could just be a burst of energy...if it's the first thing in the morning...or when you come home...you might want to try to burn some of that energy off first.

Also, you might want to break the habit of opening the back door and letting her run out...make it a case where she waits at the door and walks along side of you.

Work on the "come" command which you should be able to get regardless of what is happening. It could be a life saver some day.

My nickel bet is that she's got a lot of energy that needs to be tapped out.

Do you get the sense that it's "social" barking or property guarding?

And always remember, it's better to replace the behavior with a more suitable one that to just try to negate it.

I'd say it's more of a guarding thing.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;3112931 said:
I'd say it's more of a guarding thing.

Oooh, that's interesting.

Sorry more questions.

Do you go for walks with the dog?

How do you feed the dog? Is food left out all day?

My suggestion btw, is to "front" the dog. If you control the space in front of a dog, you control the dog. I do it with mine all the time. She was a tough customer in the beginning. So, if she'd lunge at another dog on a walk, I'd stand in front of her...at times it took a bit of jockeying...but just tonight a Boxer went after her on our walk, I fronted her, gave her a sit command...and then a "watch" command, which means "look in my eyes"

So one of the remedial things you can do is to front the dog at the fence until it understands, you're in charge of that space.

But that is only a part of the "program" if you will because that dog should know, "Yeags is in charge of the property, not me" and we can do a number of things to get to that point...and they're simple and effective fairly quickly.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Juke99;3112934 said:
Oooh, that's interesting.

Sorry more questions.

Do you go for walks with the dog?

How do you feed the dog? Is food left out all day?

My suggestion btw, is to "front" the dog. If you control the space in front of a dog, you control the dog. I do it with mine all the time. She was a tough customer in the beginning. So, if she'd lunge at another dog on a walk, I'd stand in front of her...at times it took a bit of jockeying...but just tonight a Boxer went after her on our walk, I fronted her, gave her a sit command...and then a "watch" command, which means "look in my eyes"

So one of the remedial things you can do is to front the dog at the fence until it understands, you're in charge of that space.

But that is only a part of the "program" if you will because that dog should know, "Yeags is in charge of the property, not me" and we can do a number of things to get to that point...and they're simple and effective fairly quickly.

I'll do the fronting when I want her to stop.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;3112853 said:
How do you stop them from "talking" through the fence? When I let our dog out she runs straight to the fence and barks to see if the other dogs are out.

it's easy, whenever he does it

tell him to shut the **** up

or grow a pair

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;3112948 said:
I'll do the fronting when I want her to stop.

Great way to practice space control. Go to quiet place in the house. get the dog to sit. put a treat on the floor in front of her....the second she moves, move forward, with a forward body lean and raise your hand, palm facing her and make whatever annoying sound you can that says "no"....but don't say "no".

Start at a VERY small distance between the two of you. Eventually, you'll be able to get a good distance and she'll know, that space isn't to be breeched.

In the beginning DON'T make her sit for a long period of time...one second is fine...then YOU go to the treat, pick it up and hand it to her and let her know she's wonderful. Don't say "good girl" and then let her get the treat because then you've rewarded the release.

I think you need to do a few things to establish leadership. After that, it's all easy stuff. If you don't go for walks, you should. Whomever leads the migration is the leader. So let me know if you want some tips about how to do that.

And feeding too. I ALWAYS start my dog with a spoonful of her food being fed to her THEN I let her have the rest that is in the bowl. In the beginning, when I first had her home, I fed her by hand and got a command response to each handful..."sit"..."down" whatever.

He who controls the food, the space and the migration (walk) is the leader....AND you're dog will love you for it. Very very few are equipped to be leaders...

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;3112952 said:
it's easy, whenever he does it

tell him to shut the **** up

or grow a pair

Thank you. This is exactly why I get paid to train dogs...so please, post often. ;)

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;3112981 said:

Hey, if you ever wanna call me to discuss, no problem.

and there's less interference from *******s that way.

justbob

Just taking it easy
Reaction score
Juke99;3112710 said:
I just sorta stroll around here just making sure everyone's behaving. There are so many posts in each thread that by the time I get to post, it's already been said

Meniscus surgery went great..rehab has been lousy. I was doing great after a week. Not exactly sure what has happened since then...but yeah, I kept my classes going.

If you have any questions about your Horse/Dog, lemme know.

Hey --I'll handle the horse problems:)

justbob

Just taking it easy
Reaction score
Really Juke, we have to have a few discussions on dogs ,dominance, alfa's and such ----I raise Aussies that are bred to be smart -tough -fearless and will become the boss if allowed. As you know that they are sneaky and problem solvers to boot..

My best piece of training advice for today is --Do not carry a gun to the cattle
pen when training a young dog.. That is free because I actually borrowed the line from one of the best cow dog trainers around (Ben Means).

And I will have a litter of pups coming Dec 26,2009...