If Zeke is worth 15M per

Thomas82

Reaction score
Elliot and this O-Line put on a great game against the #2 defense against the run. Looked like he had more yards than 111. He was getting to where he was getting to the second level and was waiting for him to break off a long one.

He really did look like 2016 Zeke.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I really dont get the point of this thread?

Its the market that sets the contract, not the individual player. The market says the top RB in the league gets $15 a season. If Emmitt Smith or Barry Sanders played today, they would be considered the best RB in the league and ergo, would get the same $15 a season.

Same for QBs. The market sets the contract, not the individual player. Starting level QBs that are considered franchise QBs like Goff, Wentz, Grappolo, Wilson, ect….all make in the low to mid 30s because that is the market. That is what Dak is going to get also when he eventually signs. Now if Aikman played today or if Joe Montana played today, they would get similar contracts because that is what the market dictates.

My point is that the NFL bases their contracts on "valuation by comparables", that is why you see the position sets the market and not the players. For example, the position of QB gets paid way higher than the position of RB, regardless of how good the individual player is. Even if they played today, Emmitt and Barry would not make more than starting QBs, they just wouldn't.

Hot_Toddy

Reaction score

Hot_Toddy

Reaction score
More like obsessed with another dude's money. Is it time for a Tank thread yet? This'll go on all year long no matter where they or the team ends up. Prescott needs to sign his contract so we can have the trifecta of threads written by resident financial analysts.

Very true Marcus.

Emmitt Smith was too small, slow etc for the NFL and STILL held out all of the preseason in his rookie year (franchise record). Then after our first SB win he held out the following 2 games of 1993?

I wonder what would have been said about Emmitt if this board was up and running at the time?

Emmitt was about TEAM not money! But some players do have to secure their future. Especially at the RB position.

I'm pretty certain that the All-Time Leading Rusher turned out alright. Both during his career and after.

Cmac

Reaction score
Like Shannon Sharpe says....."Have this same energy".....when Dak gets paid.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Zeke is worth every penny of his pay...and he's paid on the right side of his career.

aria

Reaction score
Where do you get your facts that say more an more every day?
Well for starters, he is paid as one of the highest RB’s, is 5th in total yards (which I don’t like that stats but all his supporters like to throw around his rushing titles as why he’s the best) and has only played one game against a top 15 rush defense, the Eagles. If you watched the Eagles game and saw the room he had to run, there’s really no doubt that Pollard would have had similar, if not more success, with his speed.

So he’s pumped up his stats playing some of the worst teams in the league and was shut down by the Saints who weren’t even top 15 in rush defense. What games this year would we have lost without him? None. IMOF, he had a large part in us LOSING to the Saints.

I get he looked good against the Eagles but that’s because the O line looked about as good as it has all season. As I said, most RB’s would have similar success with that kind of room, which is why you don’t pay RB’s that much money.

Just look what Aaron Jones did to us. An average RB tore us up because he had room to run. Look what CJ Anderson did to us last year. Look what Ajayi did with the Eagles.

Last edited:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
15 Million per year? Yes.

With the vids in the original post. This may be fitting:

Currently Zeke is 3rd all-time behind only Jim Brown and Barry Sanders in Rushing Yards per Game:

1. Jim Brown: 104.3
2. Barry Sanders: 99.8
3. Ezekiel Elliott: 98.9

The Entire List Is Here: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/rush_yds_per_g_career.htm

Run defense is not a top priority in the modern NFL.

I'm a fan of Zeke, but (no offense, you are a good poster) if you think he is on par with Barry Sanders then you probably were not an adult during the era that Sanders played.

The Lions rarely had a good team around Sanders.

In his 2nd to last season, Barry Sanders had 2053 rushing yards with 6.1 yards/carry and this was his OLine:

LT Ray Roberts
LG Mike Compton
OC Kevin Glover
RG Jeff Hartings
RT Larry Tharpe

Only Glover had ever made a Pro Bowl at the time. Hartings did make the Pro Bowl/All-Pro several years later with another team but he was just a scrappy 2nd year player in his first season as a full time starter.

Zeke has 3 multi-time All-Pro OLinemen plus La'el Collins who just got a 50M contract.

Jim Brown, as you probably know, was impossible to compare to later eras, even the Barry Sanders era. Most NFL players back then had full time jobs in the off-season. The league still had significant segregationist policies and the number of minorities and low income people in general that played college football was very limited. The great Cowboys DT Bob Lilly was about the size of current LB Vander Esch. Bob Hayes was so much faster than players back than that they invented the zone defense to cover him. The Cowboys had a practice squad player a few years ago that has an official 100 meter time that is faster than Hayes best official time.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Run defense is not a top priority in the modern NFL.

I'm a fan of Zeke, but (no offense, you are a good poster) if you think he is on par with Barry Sanders then you probably were not an adult during the era that Sanders played.

The Lions rarely had a good team around Sanders.

In his 2nd to last season, Barry Sanders had 2053 rushing yards with 6.1 yards/carry and this was his OLine:

LT Ray Roberts
LG Mike Compton
OC Kevin Glover
RG Jeff Hartings
RT Larry Tharpe

Only Glover had ever made a Pro Bowl at the time. Hartings did make the Pro Bowl/All-Pro several years later with another team but he was just a scrappy 2nd year player in his first season as a full time starter.

Zeke has 3 multi-time All-Pro OLinemen plus La'el Collins who just got a 50M contract.

Jim Brown, as you probably know, was impossible to compare to later eras, even the Barry Sanders era. Most NFL players back then had full time jobs in the off-season. The league still had significant segregationist policies and the number of minorities and low income people in general that played college football was very limited. The great Cowboys DT Bob Lilly was about the size of current LB Vander Esch. Bob Hayes was so much faster than players back than that they invented the zone defense to cover him. The Cowboys had a practice squad player a few years ago that has an official 100 meter time that is faster than Hayes best official time.

Lol, and a good deal earlier, Sid Blanks added that very quality to then, Texas A&I. An early black player brought into the conference by Gil Steinke. He was the very first draft choice for the then Houston Oilers, and took them to a Championship in the AFL's inaugural season. He was drama filled, for sure.

jsb357

Reaction score
ya'll can argue this until the ink is dry but
JJ is gonna pay Dak at least 36 mil per year.

aria

Reaction score
Zeke is worth every penny of his pay...and he's paid on the right side of his career.
If you consider 1.9 ypc with a critical fumble worth every penny, than you would be right, because that’s what that kind of performance from a guy who demands to be paid as the top RB i the league deserves, pennies.

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score
Zeke hasn't done much this season to warrant his pay check, far from top paid running back in the league worthy.
5th in yards
5th in TD

and he’s currently sitting at the 8th highest cap charge for RB in 2019.

that’s with two games where they only got him 15 combined touches each game.

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score
Zeke is 5th in yards and TD, while cutting down on fumbles.

is his year slightly down?

does that maybe have anything to do with the fact one Rayne Dakota Prescott leads the entire league in total yardage?

Daks averaging over 60 yards per game passing more than his best season.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Well for starters, he is paid as one of the highest RB’s, is 5th in total yards (which I don’t like that stats but all his supporters like to throw around his rushing titles as why he’s the best) and has only played one game against a top 15 rush defense, the Eagles. If you watched the Eagles game and saw the room he had to run, there’s really no doubt that Pollard would have had similar, if not more success, with his speed.

So he’s pumped up his stats playing some of the worst teams in the league and was shut down by the Saints who weren’t even top 15 in rush defense. What games this year would we have lost without him? None. IMOF, he had a large part in us LOSING to the Saints.

I get he looked good against the Eagles but that’s because the O line looked about as good as it has all season. As I said, most RB’s would have similar success with that kind of room, which is why you don’t pay RB’s that much money.

Just look what Aaron Jones did to us. An average RB tore us up because he had room to run. Look what CJ Anderson did to us last year. Look what Ajayi did with the Eagles.

This did not answer my question. My question was about your comment below.

Hell no he’s not and his contract will never be worth what Jerrah paid him and more people are starting to see this every day.

You assertion about his money, and his yards - that you claim others made you post that stat because his supporters on this site post his stats as a foundation for their seeing him as a top rusher. If, by your comment that you don't like using that stats, then it clearly shows you don't even hold that stats in high regard for any runner.

Then you toss out him pumping up his stats by playing the worst teams. As if he decided what the schedule was and chose those team so he could post great stats.

The Saints have perhaps the best team in the NFC right now with their stud QB on the sidelines. It should be clear as the season moves on teams show their strengths and weaknesses. Parcels said you don't really know who your team is until after Thanksgiving. So judging teams like the Saints after a few games does not actually represent their coming together as a team.

You hate stats but use them liberally.

Your comment about "look at the room he had to run" then mentioned Pollard is by far the weakest part of your argument. This is the same tripe used on this site about Murray back when he was lighting it up. The rabble praised themselves when he went to the Eagles and did nothing. They ignored the Eagles did not use him like Dallas did. And he rebounded with a really good season when he went to the Titans.

But the weakness with your argument about the size of the hole and what someone else will do assumes the hole was actually as big as you portray, that other runners would see it, hit it, and respond to the arm tackles the same way. Frankly, I doubt your ability to recognize the holes Zeke ran through competently. Not that you could not see them and make a reasonable value comment on them. But your jaded attitude toward Zeke colors every "fact" you see in a way to support your opinion.

Not only did you cherry pick your stats, you completely ignored the injuries to the offensive line and WR which crippled the offense during some performances. You talk about one player. You blame him for the days when the lines is breaking it off in the defense. You blame him for the days the line and offensive skill players are wounded or out because the other team focuses on him to stop him.

This is not about results anymore. This is about your spite for this one player. Your bias makes your argument fit your agenda and therefore has no value as fact.

Finally, your comments about what other players did to the Dallas defense is a false equivalency since Zeke does not run against our defense in real games. Zeke does not play defense, therefore the list you gave are not pertinent to this discussion because of their fallacy of inconsistency of your argument.

But back to the point I was making in my comment to you. This list of people seeing every day he is not worth it is growing, and where is the proof of this.

It was an opinion dressed up as fact. You will never be able to prove that negative with any accuracy. Zeke is paid what the team believes he is worth. Your opinion, while you surely have the right to, doesn't mean shart to a tree. (I suggest to get that reference you need look up Jefferson Airplane's song Eskimo Blue Day on YouTube)