Ihop vs Denny's vs waffle house

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WoodysGirl;3830270 said:
I just recall thinking it had no flavor.

It was cooked well, smelled good, but had no taste.

I think about the same way when I went to Bob Evans.

I think they may do that on purpose.

Might be considering the older crowd.

Although with me I always add salt and pepper before I even taste the stuff anyway.

Boom

Just Dez It
Reaction score
The only thing that rivals the awesomeness of Waffle House's hash browns is the ugliness of their waitresses.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BrAinPaiNt;3830278 said:
I think about the same way when I went to Bob Evans.

I think they may do that on purpose.

Might be considering the older crowd.

Although with me I always add salt and pepper before I even taste the stuff anyway.
Yeah, I was taught not to do that.

I at least taste it first. It was pretty clear it needed a major dash of salt on it. lol

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Of the three, I'd go with Denny's. IHOP has never impressed me as all that considering the price.

I really like Cracker Barrel for lunch and dinner. So, I was really looking forward to one of their breakfasts. I went there and was disappointed. It was so-so. Nothing to rave about for sure.

Same thing happened when I went to the Machine Shed in Iowa, near Rock Island on TDY. The food was great for dinner. The breakfast was supposed to be top 5 according to one tv show. However, I wasn't impressed. Nothing to write home about.

My wife is a great cook. But, I do make better pancakes than her. She requests them every friday. For some unknown reason, my pancakes are really good and I only use the mixes where you just add water. Surprisingly, Aldi's pancake mix is really good and cheap.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
From a local establishment, there's a place called Dotties that was pretty good, but I had a major case of BGs, soon after and have't been back since... lol

There's a place in Chicago that I absolutely loooveee called Golden Nugget. It's on the north side. I'm real mad that they don't have one down here. Their pancakes are to die for.

Boom

Just Dez It
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;3830278 said:

So do I. The wife gives me the stink eye about it. I suppose it could be salted enough before I dished it onto a plate, but I *know* it won't have enough pepper for me.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I keep thinking about this comedian I saw one time. He took a friend to eat at Denny's and asked him what he thought. The guy said he didn't like their cuisine. He replied, "cuisine? It's Denny's. That's like going to a hooker and then saying you didn't feel loved."

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
tupperware;3830269 said:
Lemme know which one you work as a waiter at and I'll stop by and leave a tip some time.

My wife's best friend owns the Ihop in Lufkin and one in Houston.

If your mom will take you to either ask for a Mrs. Carol.

daschoo

Slanje Va
Reaction score
don't have any of those over here. if i'm getting breakfast somewhere it'll be either a greasy spoon cafe or a pub for a full scottish fry up like below
black-pudding-breakfast.jpg

although i'd have mine without mushrooms or hash browns and probably add some toast.
top of the plate is potato scone by the way, do you get black pudding over there? incidentally sliced haggis is a good addition to a fry up and i'd rather have "square" sausage than links

Reaction score
Denny's and Waffle House are both acceptable middle of the night foods if you are drunk, and in fact will taste delicious under those circumstances. I would never eat at either place if I wasn't plastered.

IHOP is just good all the time. They have awesome pancakes and crepes, and all those different toppings. The wait always sucks at the one near me, no matter when you try to go though.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
After the party, its the waffle house, if you ever been there, you know what I'm talking about...

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;3830270 said:
I just recall thinking it had no flavor.

It was cooked well, smelled good, but had no taste.

You should try it again. You must have gotten there on a really off day.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cajuncowboy;3830410 said:

Normally I have found that if I want a home style meal, not at home:D , I have found better luck going to a mom and pop style place that is not a national chain.

Nothing against Cracker Barrel or Bob Evans...just was not that impressed with them.

We have this little tiny place in our neck of the woods. The inside looks like it could be a truck stop diner, but they have some pretty good food for really cheap.

Also there is another place like that a few miles from us, probably the best rolls I have ever had there.

Maybe it is not fair to Cracker Barrel. I just remember people always saying how great it was and I had to go and this and that that maybe I just hyped it up too much in my mind that the only way it could come out was over rated to me. Same way for Panera Bread place.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;3830098 said:
Cracker Barrel puts them all to shame. Give me an Uncle Herschel's breakfast any day!

You ain't kiddin'... I always get the catfish filet for the meat choice...

May have to go to Buda this weekend. Strangely enough there are no Cracker Barrels in Austin... :bang2:

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
All around meals not only just breakfast?

Denny's all the way. They have redid most of their menu and its extremely good and well prepared food for the price and convienence.

Denny's all day

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;3830415 said:
Normally I have found that if I want a home style meal, not at home:D , I have found better luck going to a mom and pop style place that is not a national chain.

Nothing against Cracker Barrel or Bob Evans...just was not that impressed with them.

We have this little tiny place in our neck of the woods. The inside looks like it could be a truck stop diner, but they have some pretty good food for really cheap.

Also there is another place like that a few miles from us, probably the best rolls I have ever had there.

Maybe it is not fair to Cracker Barrel. I just remember people always saying how great it was and I had to go and this and that that maybe I just hyped it up too much in my mind that the only way it could come out was over rated to me. Same way for Panera Bread place.

The mom and pop places are great, but I like to know what I'm getting when I travel and I know what I am getting with CB. Plus, as I said, they know how to do breakfast, IMO anyway.

I also know I get things hyped up in my mind and it's really tough to match the hype.

Ruth's Cris is one of those places. They have a bunch of hype about being the best of the best but frankly, it's not all that as far as steaks go.

They are good, but not THAT good. We have a local place called Cherokee Steak House and Marina and man, it is far and away better than Ruth Cris.

Maybe it's just the fact that chains have to do things on a mass scale that they just can't keep quality consistent across the board.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
trickblue;3830417 said:
You ain't kiddin'... I always get the catfish filet for the meat choice...

May have to go to Buda this weekend. Strangely enough there are no Cracker Barrels in Austin... :bang2:

The catfish IS good.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cajuncowboy;3830410 said:
Maybe *shrug* The one I went to was in the country.

There's one down the highway from me, but I'm not all that inclined to go try it again.

If someone suggests it and there aren't any other options, then I'll go.

VietCowboy

Be Realistic. Demand the Impossible.
Reaction score
Have only ever been to an Ihop out of the three, and it was bad experience. A cockroach fell into my drink. UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

I do like Cracker Barrel though. Their biscuits are good.