I'm just so impressed with Julius Jones...

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just for grins I rewatched the Julius Jones video being offered as a download here at the zone by JD Smith.

I can't believe how dynamic a runner this guy actually is. We often hear the phrase, "shot out of a cannon" to describe someone with great acceleration and it this case that's the perfect description. Once he squares his shoulders and hits that fourth gear... he's gone. It really is kind of amazing compared to what we've seen over the last few years--- and that includes the great Emmitt Smith. But to see a guy burst through the line like Dorsett it just makes my hair stand on end. You just don't see acceleration like that.

His lateral movement is outstanding too... but that you combine that with the acceleration and "WOW" what a package. It's been a long time since we've had an offensive threat like Julius Jones.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
I cant wait for TC to see the clips of JJ running to hear reports on how much he has improved, man im so gald he's on my fantasy team:D:D

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
I have the same thoughts about JJ...he really seems like a mix of Dorsett and Emmitt. He has the vision and moves of Emmitt, then has the acceleration of TD. I don't think he has Dorsett's top end speed though. Just think if we could throw Herschel's top speed into the mix.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fla Cowpoke said:
I have the same thoughts about JJ...he really seems like a mix of Dorsett and Emmitt. He has the vision and moves of Emmitt, then has the acceleration of TD. I don't think he has Dorsett's top end speed though. Just think if we could throw Herschel's top speed into the mix.

But you know, and this might sound stupid, Julius looks faster than what a regular-sub 4.40 guy looks if you know what I mean.

There are probably 1 or 2 guys on every team that can run a 4.3 or better but Julius seems to use his speed better if that makes sense.

Gaede

Reaction score
Knock on wood!

Please don't let the (well deserved) hype jinx Julius' sophomore season!

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
When I watch the clips, I am amazed by his quickness. He changes directions and then is back up to speed so quickly it is amazing.

He does seem faster in that way. His straight line top speed might not be as fast as you think. In fact, he might be one of those sprinters you see that gets out of the blocks so fast and is leading at 50 yds, only to be blown away to the eventual winner.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
Fla Cowpoke said:
When I watch the clips, I am amazed by his quickness. He changes directions and then is back up to speed so quickly it is amazing.

He does seem faster in that way. His straight line top speed might not be as fast as you think. In fact, he might be one of those sprinters you see that gets out of the blocks so fast and is leading at 50 yds, only to be blown away to the eventual winner.

the good thing, he's not running a 100 yard dash:D:D

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
I just remember the Seattle game on Mon night... That was the first time I saw elusive running from our tailback position in eeons, no offense to the best (Emmitt), but Julius showed a home run mentality on every carry. I saw how well he can turn a corner and outrun the linebackers... even though the Seattle backers were not all that IMO, it was truly amazing... I can't wait for 05-06... It just can't get here fast enough.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Check out the thread "Stealing Calico's idea". JDSmith has links to the vids in his sig page. ENJOY!!!

TheDuke

How 'Bout Dem Cowboys
Reaction score
Fla Cowpoke said:
Check out the thread "Stealing Calico's idea". JDSmith has links to the vids in his sig page. ENJOY!!!

ahhh...thanks!! :bow:

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
not only does JJ have a nose for the endzone, he has the same nose for the frist down marker, it just looked like when he ran he found ways through adn around defenders to ge to that yellow marker only us TV viewrs can see, man i cant wait for preseason

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
There are probably 1 or 2 guys on every team that can run a 4.3 or better but Julius seems to use his speed better if that makes sense.

Yeah, that's where 'vision' comes in.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LaTunaNostra said:
Yeah, that's where 'vision' comes in.

That's very true.

And actually you don't find too many running backs in the NFL that do have sub 4.40 speed. Most of the real fast guys are at WR and CB. Tatum Bell is a little faster than Jones but he's a little taller and skinnier. You just don't expect a guy of Jones' build to have that kind of acceleration.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
That's very true.

And actually you don't find too many running backs in the NFL that do have sub 4.40 speed. Most of the real fast guys are at WR and CB. Tatum Bell is a little faster than Jones but he's a little taller and skinnier. You just don't expect a guy of Jones' build to have that kind of acceleration.

Tatum Bell has longer limbs than Julius... that's why he ends up running an ever so slightly faster 40. Julius' speed is in his first 3 or 4 steps. His straightline speed is very good too, but what sets him apart, IMO, is his initial explosion. Bell isn't as good in that department... he's just faster once he gets his stride going.

That isn't as useful at the RB position as Jones' 0 to 60 acceleration.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
AsthmaField said:
Tatum Bell has longer limbs than Julius... that's why he ends up running an ever so slightly faster 40. Julius' speed is in his first 3 or 4 steps. His straightline speed is very good too, but what sets him apart, IMO, is his initial explosion. Bell isn't as good in that department... he's just faster once he gets his stride going.

That isn't as useful at the RB position as Jones' 0 to 60 acceleration.

Agree 100%. Jones acceleration in that first 10 yards is incredible.

And I think his build will gain him more of an edge at the position over than long haul that what Bell's will do for him.

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
JJ running is probably the biggest thing that I am looking forward to this year.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the reason Julius impresses so much is because he's quick on top of being fast. Now, while those two terms tend to be overused by the sports commentators, there is some validity to it. When I was younger, I was a very fast runner. I grew up participating in countless races and the training made me even faster. There was only one problem .. The first 10 yards of a race were slower for me than most other runners. My strategy was always to let the others get in front then blow by them the last half of the race. However, that only works when you are facing average competition. When you compete against racers who are also quick in addition to being fast, you can't win unless you're quick as well.

To be a successful running back, I'm talking top tier, you either have to be quick or you have to have great vision. Emmitt was great because of his vision because he definitely wasn't quick or even fast. Julius on the other hand possesses both quickness and speed and I agree completely .. watching him shoot through the holes so quickly is something I've not seen since the early days of Dorsett. It just seems that all the fast players the Cowboys have had seem to have no quickness, only speed. This includes Joey Galloway, Deion Sanders, Rocket Ismail, and even Terence Newman. All of those guys are/were super fast, but none possess quickness. Hence the reference to "closing speed" when it comes to Sanders and Newman.