I'm just so impressed with Julius Jones...

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Jarv said:
Great point on the "stiff-arm". If you watch the slow-mo vids of Emmitt in his prime you see him literally grabbing defenders hands and arms and pushing them away from him. Emmitt was better at this than ANY RB I have ever seen.

Walter Payton was the best I've ever seen but Emmitt isn't far behind him.

Payton would literally punish the guy with his stiff-arm and quite often would throw a forearm at the guy's head.

If Julius can develop that he will be tough to bring down and won't take as many solid hits.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
One thing I'll be looking at this pre-season with Jones is improvement in his receiving skills. No doubt the guy can run the ball with the best of them but if he can show progress in the passing game this offense will be very hard to stop.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Great post, Thumper!

What I noticed in the JJ segment of Cowboys Year in Review (granted it is a highlight reel) was the overall efficiency of JJ's style. I think for a rook he demonstrated he is a pretty smart runner. He's got a low center of gravity to begin with, but on a few clips you can see when he is going to be tackled, he ties to lower his body even more so the defender can't get under his pads. He's a good 'ducker' for a rookie. His outside actual speed is deceptive, his short powerful legs have a wider stride than you'd expect, w/o losing balance.

I rewatched the tape just now to look just at his feet. They are pretty darn nimble feet, I noticed...it's not just good acceleration, but the length of steps that he's able to change very quickly. If he has to do a little mini hurdle to break loose, recover with a long stride or reverse to a stutter step, he can do so fluidly. If you have a foot fetish, don't watch JJ's feet - you'll reach obsession stage fast. :rolleyes:

On your needed improvement points..as a young player his blocking technique will have to improve, and will. Tuna's a major stickler on that, as we know. But he has both the willingness to block (the highlight film showed the TD scored off his "giving up of his body" in the Bears game), and the lack of hesitancy that demonstrates an understanding of his assignment.

If he begins to get the ball stripped, I expect Bill to do with him something similar to what Tom Coughlin did with Tiki Barber last summer...which was carry the ball using both hands. What a diff that made in Tiki's game last year.

Thumper, I don't see JJ becoming noted for avoiding hits. Smith was extremely adept at it, but a similar back who is noted for his durability, Curtis Martin, is a runnerl who takes more hits than you'd think possible. Both Martin and Smith were more than once referred to, tho, as having 'masochistic' traits. Not in the psycho-mumbo-jumbo sense, but in the sense contact spurred them on, and pain was something they drew on for inspiration.

JJ lacks the true break away speed that could save his body, if his vision and cutting ability help to offset that, great. But I expect his type of back to take a considerable beating. How he holds up to it will make or break him.

My feeling right now and of course it's too early to be sure, is that JJ will be known as a smart and efficient runner who has the quick feet to make you pay, and pay dearly.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
I can't believe Julius isn't getting more hype around the league. Dude was on pace for a 1,500 yard season his rookie year if not for injuries, and it's almost as if some people still haven't heard of him.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
I can't believe Julius isn't getting more hype around the league. Dude was on pace for a 1,500 yard season his rookie year if not for injuries, and it's almost as if some people still haven't heard of him.

ood lets keep it that way until the season starts. As Gomer would say Suprise, surprise, surprise!! LOL

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
ood lets keep it that way until the season starts. As Gomer would say Suprise, surprise, surprise!! LOL

I'm sure scouts and coaches have already put him in their palm pilots. :p: Me thinks defense will be more worried about the Cowboys running game than passing game this year. It's the national media and fans I'm talking about. I have buddies who are diehard Dolphins or Buccs fans and they really are clueless about Julius Jones.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
The media hasn't gotten around to JJ, (gosh, there's TO to fixate on) but the folks who count, (the defensive coordinators we are gonna face) sure must be spending a lot of time pondering how to shut him down.

When we see eight in the box (or more), we'll know Julius has earned himself the only hype that natters. :)

Doomsday101

Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
I'm sure scouts and coaches have already put him in their palm pilots. :p: Me thinks defense will be more worried about the Cowboys running game than passing game this year. It's the national media and fans I'm talking about. I have buddies who are diehard Dolphins or Buccs fans and they really are clueless about Julius Jones.

No doubt about, the teams around the league know and your right they will be keying on Jones this season and that is where Bledsoe has to be able to take advantage of teams keying Jones and I think with guys like Witten and Key running the routs over the middle there will be space to operate in.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
THUMPER said:
Walter Payton was the best I've ever seen but Emmitt isn't far behind him.

Payton would literally punish the guy with his stiff-arm and quite often would throw a forearm at the guy's head.

If Julius can develop that he will be tough to bring down and won't take as many solid hits.

Jim Brown had a straight arm that could snap your neck back. Eric Dickerson had a straight arm that was extremely effective. He had long arms to begin with. When he put it out there, it was so tough because a guy was running full out to start with, just trying to get the angle. When you got there, here came that long arm and he was by you.

Earl Campbell, of course was in a class by himself. That arm would come out and it was jarring. He threw that like a fighter would throw a punch. Bad intentions all the way.

Benson also has a pretty good straight arm. It will be fun watching him run in the NFL as well.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Fla Cowpoke said:
You can go get exited about anybody you want, I'll get EXCITED about our RB's skills. Do you think Emmitt cornered the market on vision? Emmitt had other skills as well, plus he had the GREATEST heart of any RB there has ever been.

I think you could have considerable debate on who had the GREATEST heart of any RB. I agree that Emmitt had heart but I would have to say that Sweetness had him beat, where that is concerned.

I'm a huge Earl Campbell homer and I acknowledge that freely but IMO, there has never been a player with more heart then Earl. I just watched him too long to ever doubt it. He left every bit of it out on the field. Not an ounce more he could have given IMO.

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
The media hasn't gotten around to JJ, (gosh, there's TO to fixate on) but the folks who count, (the defensive coordinators we are gonna face) sure must be spending a lot of time pondering how to shut him down.

When we see eight in the box (or more), we'll know Julius has earned himself the only hype that natters. :)

If opposing teams are forced to put 8 men in the box.....Keyshawn and Witten will have ALL Pro years. They are our best possesion Receivers.

Without a safety playing over Keyshawn he's almost unstoppable, if the QB can get the ball in his vicinity.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Charles said:
If opposing teams are forced to put 8 men in the box.....Keyshawn and Witten will have ALL Pro years. They are our best possesion Receivers.

Without a safety playing over Keyshawn he's almost unstoppable, if the QB can get the ball in his vicinity.

I think your right, if we have a receiver that can turn into a deep threat guy.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
Glenn is a slot WR. It's not the same.

Glenn is a guy who can strech the defense so while you may not think it is the same it still serves the porpose making defense respect the long ball. Also Glenn does play the slot in a 3wr set but is still the outside WR in the 2 WR formation.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
Really and truly as i watched the JJ video as the games went on it looked like JJ was getting better and bertter, thsoe cuts got more and more deadly, his balnced increased, he was bouncing of guys more, and really i think we're in for a great season from him.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Glenn is a guy who can strech the defense so while you may not think it is the same it still serves the porpose making defense respect the long ball. Also Glenn does play the slot in a 3wr set but is still the outside WR in the 2 WR formation.

He plays it because there is nobody else able to do so. It is a matter of record that Parcells would rather have Glenn playing fewer snaps and more slot. His worst fears were that we would lose Glenn and thus, any real speed at WR last year. It happened just that way. Glenn is not the same as a deep threat WR. Glenn has good speed, still, but his forte, IMO, is not running fly patterns or posts. He excells when he has an opportunity to use his quickness.

IMO, our offense still lacks a real deep threat WR.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
Glenn is a slot WR. It's not the same.
ABC, would you give your definition of "slot guy"?

Is it the usually small, quick, as opposed to fast, wideout who you feel needs the LOS leeway to cleanly release? Ie Wayne Chrebet type.

Is it simply the guy who lines up in the slot regardless of physical dimensions or skills?

Or the classic third receiver not talented enough to be a split end or flanker?

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
Jim Brown had a straight arm that could snap your neck back. Eric Dickerson had a straight arm that was extremely effective. He had long arms to begin with. When he put it out there, it was so tough because a guy was running full out to start with, just trying to get the angle. When you got there, here came that long arm and he was by you.

Earl Campbell, of course was in a class by himself. That arm would come out and it was jarring. He threw that like a fighter would throw a punch. Bad intentions all the way.

Benson also has a pretty good straight arm. It will be fun watching him run in the NFL as well.

No argument from me. All of the great RBs had a good "stiff-arm" or they wouldn't have gotten a lot of the yards they did. Some were more effective with it than others though and those you named were some of the best ever.

Jim Brown liked to hurt his opponents as did Payton but Brown was bigger and stronger than Walter and in general faced smaller defenders, certainly smaller linemen than Payton. For that reason, I think Payton had a more effective "stiff-arm" than Brown although Brown probably hurt more people with his, if you see what I'm saying.

Emmitt didn't punish guys the way Brown and Payton did as much as just keep them from tackling him. He would lower his head and deliver a good shot on a would-be tackler and was very effective with that but for the most part he just pushed them away.

Campbell was one of my favorite non-Cowboys players ever. I loved watching him run, except against us of course, and he could deliver a nasty shot when he wanted to. My all-time favorite hit was the one he put on Rams LB Isaiah Robertson. They show that one in every show about big hits because he went out of his way to ram his helmet right into Robertson's chest and just crushed him!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
He plays it because there is nobody else able to do so. It is a matter of record that Parcells would rather have Glenn playing fewer snaps and more slot. His worst fears were that we would lose Glenn and thus, any real speed at WR last year. It happened just that way. Glenn is not the same as a deep threat WR. Glenn has good speed, still, but his forte, IMO, is not running fly patterns or posts. He excells when he has an opportunity to use his quickness.

IMO, our offense still lacks a real deep threat WR.

When we are running 2 WR instead of the 3 Glenn is still lined up on the outside and is not a slot man. He may line up in the slot when we are running 3. Thing is if I'm going to attack deep I would be more inclined to do so on 1st or 2nd down off the play action. Glenn still fits the bill as a deep threat. I also would not rule about the ability of Cooper and Crayton as 2 guys with the ability to be deep threats.