I'm losing my excitement for the game

Hayseed

Reaction score
And that sucks! Been the most diehard fan of the Cowboys and the NFL in general for almost 45 years now. The excitement just isnt there anymore, at least not like it was. Nothing the Cowboys really did either, more just the state of the league. Free agency and the cap REALLY hurt the game worse than any of some of the younger fans will ever know. It takes years to build a championship caliber team, and one offseason to tear it down because you cant get under the cap.

So lemme get this straight.......You spend a few years really knocking it out of the park come draft day, really doing it right,....and your reward for doing a great job is to sit back and watch half your players leave because you cant pay all the big name players you were smart enuff to draft and groom and still be under the cap. REALLY? By the same token,.... you spend years drafting a bunch of worthless BUMS and your reward is having plenty of money to sign as many talented players as you want away from the teams who were proficient at their job. REALLY? The NFL is actually penalizing excellence and rewarding failure......... NOT GOOD.

Other thing is all the rule changes. D.B's are pretty much defenseless nowadays. You touch someone....... penalty. All to promote passing. The game doesnt even resemble the great game I grew up loving.

Goodell and his crap and unfair treatment of our team. Its just too much anymore.

Players SOOOO STUPID that they cant stop stepping on their own johnsons and getting suspended all the time. Its just on and on and on.

I'll always be a big fan,... but it will NEVER be what it once was. Real shame too.

sjmike

Reaction score
I am about your age. Can name ya the starting offensive line of the 72 Super Bowl team. Been through alot including 5 championships. Nothing is ever as great as teams in your youth but I still enjoy the day to day of Cowboys football in the present. I don't know every player on every team the way I used to but I still get a lot of enjoyment (and disappointment) out of the game. Hang in there, buddy, when we are on a Super Bowl run this year, you'll be right back in it!!

Hayseed

Reaction score
In the old days great QBs like Staubach would complete 56, MAYBE 57% of their passes and those numbers would be considered fantastic. Do you know why that is? It is because back then teams were allowed to play actual defense. Unlike this fake/ made for tv $ bush league foolishness we have today.

jday

Reaction score
And that sucks! Been the most diehard fan of the Cowboys and the NFL in general for almost 45 years now. The excitement just isnt there anymore, at least not like it was. Nothing the Cowboys really did either, more just the state of the league. Free agency and the cap REALLY hurt the game worse than any of some of the younger fans will ever know. It takes years to build a championship caliber team, and one offseason to tear it down because you cant get under the cap.

So lemme get this straight.......You spend a few years really knocking it out of the park come draft day, really doing it right,....and your reward for doing a great job is to sit back and watch half your players leave because you cant pay all the big name players you were smart enuff to draft and groom and still be under the cap. REALLY? By the same token,.... you spend years drafting a bunch of worthless BUMS and your reward is having plenty of money to sign as many talented players as you want away from the teams who were proficient at their job. REALLY? The NFL is actually penalizing excellence and rewarding failure......... NOT GOOD.

Other thing is all the rule changes. D.B's are pretty much defenseless nowadays. You touch someone....... penalty. All to promote passing. The game doesnt even resemble the great game I grew up loving.

Goodell and his crap and unfair treatment of our team. Its just too much anymore.

Players SOOOO STUPID that they cant stop stepping on their own johnsons and getting suspended all the time. Its just on and on and on.

I'll always be a big fan,... but it will NEVER be what it once was. Real shame too.
I can kinda relate, but I think for me it's more about me just getting older and the game becoming less serious to me. I told Hostile at the other place recently that with each passing year I get better at placing the journey over the destination. After all, that's what it's really about...the watching experience throughout preseason, through the regular season, and if your lucky, some turn-of-the-year football to bring in the new year. If you are destination-centric, you will be miserable more often than not regardless of who you follow.

That said, this season is really interesting to me because a full-blown changing of the guard has been exercised in the last 3 years. No more Romo, Witten, Dez, Scandrick, etc. This upcoming year we may also see a complete and radical change in how this offense moves the ball. With Garrett and company's job depending on it, I think they are going to be very creative and we are going to see something very different from what we have seen over the past 10 years. For me, that's exciting. It may not be good enough to make the playoffs, but my guess is it will at the very least be entertaining.

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
Still love the game can't watch highlights anymore with all of the bad music that accompanies them. And there's no criteria for video analysis anyone can do it so sometimes it's pretty hard to listen to. I like the additional coverage that the internet has provided and the message boards but you have to navigate your way through the trash. But the game.....I still love it:thumbup: and I will always love those cowboys:clap:

SoupcanSam

Reaction score

It is what it is. But the fact is alot of those big names where overrated or didn't add much to the cowboys legacy and they are gone. I don't see our next generation of players as bums either. Despite not winning much over the years I will always be excited about the next season and to see that star go to work again after a vary so long off-season.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I feel much less enthusiastic about this season than I have been for a long time. I guess I am just beat down of all the high expectations of "this is the year, we are on the verge of doing it". Just too be let down again.
If we had a new HC I may be excited to see what comes of it, but with all the other changes and lip service of scheme changes, player changes, we still have the same main problem.

and that is why I just can't get into it like I used to. Now once TC starts, and the season draws near, I may get some of that back. But right now I just do not have in me.

after half way through last season and the Zeke BS fro the NFL, the screw ups from the coaching staff, and after the season ended.
I told myself I will not buy into the BS hype this team will trot out there. Not t-shirt slogans, not the crap sayings about secret sauce, war daddy, wow players, all crap. Not buying into it this year.

Show me on the field, not talk about it.

Shinaoi

Reaction score
I haven’t lost it, but it’s certainly down in comparison. I’m a big believer in the spirit and atmosphere of things, and the nfl just feels more and more like a commercial product(which is it) than a passionate game. Everything about it has been cheapen a few notches. Hard to explain.

waving monkey

Reaction score
I adapted to F.A and cap. I didnt like it. Honestly I care less about the guns for hire now.
I know its likely draft picks will move to other teams so fan/player connections are short term.
But I like pro football.

tm1119

Reaction score
Hate when old people cry because things aren’t the exact same as “back in my day”....the league is fine and no one is out to get the cowboys.

Hayseed

Reaction score
I haven’t lost it, but it’s certainly down in comparison. I’m a big believer in the spirit and atmosphere of things, and the nfl just feels more and more like a commercial product(which is it) than a passionate game. Everything about it has been cheapen a few notches. Hard to explain.

BINGO!

Turf Toe

Reaction score
EPL better ... no commercials, non stop action, crazy speed, beautiful ball control, rabid fans—NFL sinking slowly— NBA better too

Hayseed

Reaction score
Teams have so much invested in players now that they wont let them play through even smaller injuries. I remember back in around 1980 or so Watching Joe Ferguson QB the Bills in a playoff game.......... WITH A BROKEN LEG. LOL

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The salary cap has impacted even retaining your own rookies though too.

A QB switches teams for huge money, a QB resigns with his own team for huge money.
so a team that drafts a QB and in his4th year, such as Dak will be going into the 2019 season. Say he is good, but not great. There is not a QB out there they can draft or sign otherwise. So does Dak get a $40 million a year deal now, because that is the going rate? Then he fails to improve...salary cap is blown...but yet you need to look for another QB

They thing is, would Jerry do that, or cut bait and take a chance on another QB for less. Jerry usually pays the huge money as the past has sown us.
Sorry, but no player is worth that much money in any sport. Yes it is they way now, and you can't blame the player at all, though many do.