I'm losing my excitement for the game

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Teams have so much invested in players now that they wont let them play through even smaller injuries. I remember back in around 1980 or so Watching Joe Ferguson QB the Bills in a playoff game.......... WITH A BROKEN LEG. LOL

Walt Garrison too...well, it wasn't a broken leg like many think, I believe it was a broken arm, but he was still out there, because he wanted to be and believed the team needed him. I will need to look it up what was broken though.

CPanther95

Reaction score
And that sucks! Been the most diehard fan of the Cowboys and the NFL in general for almost 45 years now. The excitement just isnt there anymore, at least not like it was. Nothing the Cowboys really did either, more just the state of the league. Free agency and the cap REALLY hurt the game worse than any of some of the younger fans will ever know. It takes years to build a championship caliber team, and one offseason to tear it down because you cant get under the cap.

So lemme get this straight.......You spend a few years really knocking it out of the park come draft day, really doing it right,....and your reward for doing a great job is to sit back and watch half your players leave because you cant pay all the big name players you were smart enuff to draft and groom and still be under the cap. REALLY? By the same token,.... you spend years drafting a bunch of worthless BUMS and your reward is having plenty of money to sign as many talented players as you want away from the teams who were proficient at their job. REALLY? The NFL is actually penalizing excellence and rewarding failure......... NOT GOOD.

Other thing is all the rule changes. D.B's are pretty much defenseless nowadays. You touch someone....... penalty. All to promote passing. The game doesnt even resemble the great game I grew up loving.

Goodell and his crap and unfair treatment of our team. Its just too much anymore.

Players SOOOO STUPID that they cant stop stepping on their own johnsons and getting suspended all the time. Its just on and on and on.

I'll always be a big fan,... but it will NEVER be what it once was. Real shame too.

If teams were truly rewarded for stupid drafting, every team would be drafting basketball players with no football experience.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
And that sucks! Been the most diehard fan of the Cowboys and the NFL in general for almost 45 years now. The excitement just isnt there anymore, at least not like it was. Nothing the Cowboys really did either, more just the state of the league. Free agency and the cap REALLY hurt the game worse than any of some of the younger fans will ever know. It takes years to build a championship caliber team, and one offseason to tear it down because you cant get under the cap.

So lemme get this straight.......You spend a few years really knocking it out of the park come draft day, really doing it right,....and your reward for doing a great job is to sit back and watch half your players leave because you cant pay all the big name players you were smart enuff to draft and groom and still be under the cap. REALLY? By the same token,.... you spend years drafting a bunch of worthless BUMS and your reward is having plenty of money to sign as many talented players as you want away from the teams who were proficient at their job. REALLY? The NFL is actually penalizing excellence and rewarding failure......... NOT GOOD.

Other thing is all the rule changes. D.B's are pretty much defenseless nowadays. You touch someone....... penalty. All to promote passing. The game doesnt even resemble the great game I grew up loving.

Goodell and his crap and unfair treatment of our team. Its just too much anymore.

Players SOOOO STUPID that they cant stop stepping on their own johnsons and getting suspended all the time. Its just on and on and on.

I'll always be a big fan,... but it will NEVER be what it once was. Real shame too.
You make raise some very good points of contention there @Hayseed .

Just how is Cleveland gonna gonna ride herd over all these perennial first round draft picks they keep gorging themselves on?,,,unfortunately the integrity of the N.F.L. shield has long since been compromised once it started bending & then bowing to outside 'social' pressures applied to it,,,HOWARD COSELL would crap concrete blocks were he to witness the farcical sham it's become, as compared to when he had the stage to voice his love/ hate relationship with commissioner Pete Rozelleo_O

* on the + side,,,that Resurrected football league is fixing the kickoff in 2019,,,hang-on& hold-out:thumbup:

DFWJC

Reaction score
I still love the game!

But yes, I'm not the obsessed fan I was many years ago. Part of that is just growing up, becoming a father, understanding what's really important, etc.
It was on a slow decline but accelerated after the 2014 playoffs. And then the politics, etc over recent years didn't help.

Still, when I'm choosing my entertainment (so not real life, but a luxury the world does not have to have) I still prefer the NFL in varying degrees over other forms of entertainment; such as watching theater movies/sitcoms, tv movies, other sports, rock concerts, live theater, symphony, etc.
The NFL still wins.

CPanther95

Reaction score
Hopefully the cap is here to stay. Otherwise, the Seahawks and Rams would be in the NFCCG every year.

However, if you eliminate free agency, there's no reason to eliminate the cap. :D

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
When I was a kid my favorite sports were NFL.....................MLB, NBA and a little college football.

Now it's..................................................................................NCAA football, NFL, EPL, MLB, and NHL. Don't care about the NBA anymore.

Age, nostalgia, rule changes, and too many commercials have changed things for me. That doesn't mean I won't be anxious in the 4th quarter of a Cowboys game, but it means my anticipation all week isn't what it was and the devastation of defeat isn't, either. I'm much more accustomed to losing than I was back in the 20th century.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
And that sucks! Been the most diehard fan of the Cowboys and the NFL in general for almost 45 years now. The excitement just isnt there anymore, at least not like it was.

You are posting on an internet forum at 10:30 in the morning .......... you could not do that 45 years ago ........ its called over saturation.

Of course its not as special when you talk about the Cowboys 24/7 and hear news within minutes ........ there is no surprises anymore when we watch every aspect of practice and learn about how these kids play before they ever even play as a Cowboy.

Its just how it is now .............

eyedoc

Reaction score

Hayseed how old are you? I am 66 and have been a lifelong Cowboys fan. I live in Conroe and the wife and I would go to at least one home game a year. Like you my passion for the game is declining. We probably will not go to a game this year. Part of that decision is my age and part of it is the mediocrity our team displays at times. Go Cowboys

erod

Reaction score
EPL better ... no commercials, non stop action, crazy speed, beautiful ball control, rabid fans—NFL sinking slowly— NBA better too
I enjoy the EPL, too, but the NFL is still vastly superior. Especially compared to the one-on-one crap of the NBA. There's one team worth watching in the NBA. The rest are junk and would get destroyed by 80s teams. The NBA is the only pro sport that has worse players now than 30 years ago.

And this is from someone who is also slowly losing interest in the NFL.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
I can kinda relate, but I think for me it's more about me just getting older and the game becoming less serious to me. I told Hostile at the other place recently that with each passing year I get better at placing the journey over the destination. After all, that's what it's really about...the watching experience throughout preseason, through the regular season, and if your lucky, some turn-of-the-year football to bring in the new year. If you are destination-centric, you will be miserable more often than not regardless of who you follow.

That said, this season is really interesting to me because a full-blown changing of the guard has been exercised in the last 3 years. No more Romo, Witten, Dez, Scandrick, etc. This upcoming year we may also see a complete and radical change in how this offense moves the ball. With Garrett and company's job depending on it, I think they are going to be very creative and we are going to see something very different from what we have seen over the past 10 years. For me, that's exciting. It may not be good enough to make the playoffs, but my guess is it will at the very least be entertaining.
FANTASTIC post:thumbup:

* I'm definitely picking up on that low voltage 'vibe' yer laying down @jday :starspin:

Dalmations202

Reaction score
There's always soccer.
I really wish football would take some of the rules of soccer. IE a champions league and each team wins or goes down a level. Say only 16 teams in the Champions league, playing each team one time, and the bottom 2-4 teams switch or have a playoff game to stay in this league. The bottom league plays to get in the Champions league.

Would make it more interesting to me.

tm1119

Reaction score
Hate when young people want to make changes just to make changes, because they think they know better than everyone else. When in fact they are usually wrong.

I didn’t make changes...nor are there any young people on the competition that makes the changes. In fact it’s full of a bunch of 50+ year old football lifers. But obviously your opinion is more important