I'm Never, Ever, Ever Forgiving Goodell For Ruining 2017

JustChip

Reaction score
I can’t imagine what the players union would give up to protect less than 1% when the policy doesn’t effect 99% of the players.

And it’s not a matter of enjoying it it’s about recognizing it for what it is. Still today fans are caught up in this innocent or guilty verdict which was never the intent of the policy.

You may be right on the NFLPA and the 1%. However, the broader issue I think the NFLPA will argue is the virtually unilateral power for discipline wielded by the NFL office, in particular Roger Goodell.

Yes, business's management normally carries the weight and power for employee discipline, but abuses of management power was the genesis for labor organizations, which normally limits managements power in that area. I don't mean to compare what the NFL is doing to say the coal miners (or countless other industries) of first half of the 20th century except to make a point that management abuse runs counter to a cooperative management-employee working relationship, all it takes then is a strong union leadership for things to change (e.g., Marvin Miller).

Past NFLPA management has been too easy to agree to the NFL's "demands"; my read on current leadership is it is not the same. The NFLPA and the rank and file may not make a huge issue of DV punishment, per se, because of the 1%, but will fight strong to change the punishment authority dynamic. I think the punishment appeal process to change so that Goodell will no longer be the single authority for an appeal decision. As I minimum, I expect the next CBA will include an appeal process to a joint NFL-NFLPA "commission", if not the initial review and punishment decision.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You may be right on the NFLPA and the 1%. However, the broader issue I think the NFLPA will argue is the virtually unilateral power for discipline wielded by the NFL office, in particular Roger Goodell.

Yes, business's management normally carries the weight and power for employee discipline, but abuses of management power was the genesis for labor organizations, which normally limits managements power in that area. I don't mean to compare what the NFL is doing to say the coal miners (or countless other industries) of first half of the 20th century except to make a point that management abuse runs counter to a cooperative management-employee working relationship, all it takes then is a strong union leadership for things to change (e.g., Marvin Miller).

Past NFLPA management has been too easy to agree to the NFL's "demands"; my read on current leadership is it is not the same. The NFLPA and the rank and file may not make a huge issue of DV punishment, per se, because of the 1%, but will fight strong to change the punishment authority dynamic. I think the punishment appeal process to change so that Goodell will no longer be the single authority for an appeal decision. As I minimum, I expect the next CBA will include an appeal process to a joint NFL-NFLPA "commission", if not the initial review and punishment decision.
Understood but again I’m not sure all the fans understand the intent of the Personal Conduct Policy.

Goodell is only carrying out what the owners want and the players union isn’t willing to give up money or anything else to save this 1% of problem players.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The NFL intent is empowering the Commissioner to administer these punishments and suspensions providing a perception the league is being tough on its players.

They aren’t interested in a “ due process “ under the law. And the Players Union isn’t willing to give up much if anything to protect this 1% of problem players.

I don’t believe it’s any coincidence that since this policy was put in place with the mandatory suspension that all players accused of DV have not got off. They are not going to allow a repeat of the Rice situation.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Im not advocating that the PC Policy is fair or reasonable. I’m just arguing that I fully understand it’s intent therefore anticipating the results of Elliotts case more clearly based on my interpretations of the Policy.

Fans were entirely too emotionally attached to the facts and evidence of the case because one of our star players was potentially wrongfully accused. All the NFL was focused on is was this victim abused in any way and who was accused.

At that point unlike our legal due process it’s a players burden to prove their innocence. All of the reasons this legal case was dismissed is a big part of why this Policy was put in place because the league didn’t want a perception of players possibly getting off without any punishment.

Basically once it’s been established there’s a victim and a player is accused the suspected player has practically no chance in avoiding disciplinary action from the league. This is what the owners wanted to protect the image of the league. And they’ve empowered the Commissioner to administer and had the players sign off on it. I’d suggest for players to be very careful around women while they’re in the league.

JustChip

Reaction score
Im not advocating that the PC Policy is fair or reasonable. I’m just arguing that I fully understand it’s intent therefore anticipating the results of Elliotts case more clearly based on my interpretations of the Policy.

Fans were entirely too emotionally attached to the facts and evidence of the case because one of our star players was potentially wrongfully accused. All the NFL was focused on is was this victim abused in any way and who was accused.

At that point unlike our legal due process it’s a players burden to prove their innocence. All of the reasons this legal case was dismissed is a big part of why this Policy was put in place because the league didn’t want a perception of players possibly getting off without any punishment.

Basically once it’s been established there’s a victim and a player is accused the suspected player has practically no chance in avoiding disciplinary action from the league. This is what the owners wanted to protect the image of the league. And they’ve empowered the Commissioner to administer and had the players sign off on it. I’d suggest for players to be very careful around women while they’re in the league.

I agree with everything you say. Just like the recently adopted “head lowering” rule - it’s really not as much about player safety as having a defensible position for future CTE litigation. Maybe that’s just the cynic in me.

JustChip

Reaction score
A year of my life that I'll never get back. Specifically, my age 23 year.

Wasted. Never to return. Not even a chance. Ruined. Down the drain.

Thanks, you moronic ****. Congratulations, you have earned my lifelong hatred and made a permanent enemy of me. This will never, ever go away.

Signed,

Andrew

I mean no disrespect, but if this season ruined a year of your life, I would counsel you to reassess priorities. This is coming from a fan of 50+ years that, in one of my wife and my arguments early in our marriage when she accused me of loving the Cowboys more than her, I responded with “well, I have been with them longer” (another piece of advice - always engage the big head before saying something to your wife). Your anger only eats at you - it doesn’t affect Roger G. I guarantee he sleeps just fine at night.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
tenor.gif

408Cowboy

Reaction score
At 43 at least you have children to look after. 23 is a lonely age especially if you're unemployed and single (neither by choice).

All I have left is playing Madden and pretending online to be an Eagles fan to exude false happiness.
Sounds like you need to get your **** together.

GMO415

Reaction score
A year of my life that I'll never get back. Specifically, my age 23 year.

Wasted. Never to return. Not even a chance. Ruined. Down the drain.

Thanks, you moronic ****. Congratulations, you have earned my lifelong hatred and made a permanent enemy of me. This will never, ever go away.

Signed,

Andrew
4jVqX_s-200x150.gif

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
Goddell just did not screw the Cowboys last year.

In doing what he did he screwed the whole NFL.

millennial_legend

Reaction score
I mean no disrespect, but if this season ruined a year of your life, I would counsel you to reassess priorities. This is coming from a fan of 50+ years that, in one of my wife and my arguments early in our marriage when she accused me of loving the Cowboys more than her, I responded with “well, I have been with them longer” (another piece of advice - always engage the big head before saying something to your wife). Your anger only eats at you - it doesn’t affect Roger G. I guarantee he sleeps just fine at night.
50+ years? I'm not living that long. Lol.

Meliesia said the same thing about me. I loved football and the team more than her when I threw glass wine bottles all over the house when Crosby made that field goal in january 2017.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Roger Goodell alone is capable of ruining our season because of the suspension of one player, we were never as good as we thought we were last year.

As much as I hate to say, Filly won a championship last year with more starters out than we did. If your whole team hinges on one player, you’re team is screwed before the season even kicks off.

Look, I can’t stand Good Ol Boy either, but he’s not the main reason 2017 was a stinker. This team can look in the mirror for that starting with its GM and head coach.

millennial_legend

Reaction score
If Roger Goodell alone is capable of ruining our season because of the suspension of one player, we were never as good as we thought we were last year.

As much as I hate to say, Filly won a championship last year with more starters out than we did. If your whole team hinges on one player, you’re team is screwed before the season even kicks off.

Look, I can’t stand Good Ol Boy either, but he’s not the main reason 2017 was a stinker. This team can look in the mirror for that starting with its GM and head coach.
the eagles had a stacked roster on both sides of the ball. They replaced an MVP caliber QB with another MVP caliber QB who would have won MVP in 2013 if the Eagles hadn't started the season 3-5 trotting out broken Vick instead of Foles.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
the eagles had a stacked roster on both sides of the ball. They replaced an MVP caliber QB with another MVP caliber QB who would have won MVP in 2013 if the Eagles hadn't started the season 3-5 trotting out broken Vick instead of Foles.
So either we didn’t have a very good roster to begin with or we were simply unable to adjust to the injuries and setbacks that happen EVERY YEAR. Or we just allow excuses to explain away failure.

Look I hate the beagles but they lost some of the best players they had to season ending injuries and somehow were able to overcome them. And not just at QB. They lost at least 5 key starters...more than we did. Again, I hate the Filly beagles but to say they simply won because they had a “stacked roster” does not take into account the great job their coaching staff did to overcome all their injuries. Whether we like or not, they got it done.

As long as we accept excuses for failure, we are doomed to repeat them. This team has accepted excuses too long IMO.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m sure all this negative talk really breaks Roger’s heart...LOL.

kskboys

Reaction score
Foles MVP caliber? Most likely not. You're making the mistake many fans do, and the one ol' Tuna warned us against. Don't break out the anointing oil.

jnday

Reaction score
Roger's decisions lost a lot of fans forever. The Zeke situation was horrible and the position he took on the players kneeling caused some fans to quit watching for good. I am not starting that discussion , but simply naming another reason why fans left by the tens of thousands. I hate the man and refuse to ever spend $1 in any NFL product due to his conduct.

millennial_legend

Reaction score
So either we didn’t have a very good roster to begin with or we were simply unable to adjust to the injuries and setbacks that happen EVERY YEAR. Or we just allow excuses to explain away failure.

Look I hate the beagles but they lost some of the best players they had to season ending injuries and somehow were able to overcome them. And not just at QB. They lost at least 5 key starters...more than we did. Again, I hate the Filly beagles but to say they simply won because they had a “stacked roster” does not take into account the great job their coaching staff did to overcome all their injuries. Whether we like or not, they got it done.

As long as we accept excuses for failure, we are doomed to repeat them. This team has accepted excuses too long IMO.
Hate the eagles or not, I'm still proud and happy for them that they beat the most evil organization in sports.

GMO415

Reaction score
Live life in the windshield and not the rearview mirror.......you might miss something.