I'm not a Commander fan, but

burmafrd

Reaction score
With Pearson it was the Hail Mary.
Darrel Green running down Walker, Dorsett and Dickerson from behind was mind blowing. The fact that he was a top CB almost till he was 40 was beyond belief. Irvin was the only WR that I can think of that beat him regularly. As I recall, he did a real good job on Rice when Rice was in his prime. Green to my mind was in the second tier of all time great CBs- only Deion and a couple of others are in the first tier. Certainly he should be a 1st Ballot HOF.

Way 'nuff

Reaction score
lurkercowboy;1357174 said:
I am with you there.

Thanks man.

If I had to take a stab at it, I'd say Pearson is a victim of the pre ESPN-hype machine.

I'd also like to say it's good to see Cowboys fans and Commanders fans have a good conversation about the HOF without it turning into a mud flinging contest.

I really like your board, thanks for keeping it respectful and intelligent.

Way 'nuff

Reaction score
burmafrd;1357185 said:
With Pearson it was the Hail Mary.
Darrel Green running down Walker, Dorsett and Dickerson from behind was mind blowing. The fact that he was a top CB almost till he was 40 was beyond belief. Irvin was the only WR that I can think of that beat him regularly. As I recall, he did a real good job on Rice when Rice was in his prime. Green to my mind was in the second tier of all time great CBs- only Deion and a couple of others are in the first tier. Certainly he should be a 1st Ballot HOF.

I believe Rice said that Green was the only CB that gave him trouble.

And it's not a wonder that Irvin abused him. I lived in Green's neighborhood for awhile and would see him out jogging. He's no bigger than my mother.

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
Way 'nuff;1357189 said:
Thanks man.

If I had to take a stab at it, I'd say Pearson is a victim of the pre ESPN-hype machine.

I'd also like to say it's good to see Cowboys fans and Commanders fans have a good conversation about the HOF without it turning into a mud flinging contest.

I really like your board, thanks for keeping it respectful and intelligent.

Well thank YOU for being respectful and intelligent.

apickmans

Reaction score
Art Monk's snub has ruined super bowl weekend for me. I really thought this was gonna be his year. Green, who i thought would of been a 1st ballot HOF SHOULD get in next year, but we'll see how that goes. I always thought the voting process was a joke, but was hopeful they would get it right this time. I'm really at a loss of words right now.

Aikbach

Reaction score
apickmans;1357228 said:
Art Monk's snub has ruined super bowl weekend for me. I really thought this was gonna be his year. Green, who i thought would of been a 1st ballot HOF SHOULD get in next year, but we'll see how that goes. I always thought the voting process was a joke, but was hopeful they would get it right this time. I'm really at a loss of words right now.
Yeah but Irvin got in so you should smile, Green is forever linked with Irvin:D

apickmans

Reaction score
Aikbach;1357232 said:
Yeah but Irvin got in so you should smile, Green is forever linked with Irvin:D

What can i say, congrats to Irvin. He deserves to be in there. I was just hoping to see Monk standing up there next to him.

burmafrd

Reaction score
The obvious bias and other crap that reigns in the HOF has steadily diminished its worthiness in my eyes. If this keeps up it will soon become as legitimate as the Pro Bowl is now.

needforspeed

Legend in my spare time
Reaction score
sago1;1356942 said:
Monk should make it in and I also agree that Dallas Green should make it in. A great football player who made the pro bowl time and time again. He's also got some SB rings and was a real class act. He also treated our players with respect and made very respectful comments re our Triplets. Green was also highly regarded by the Cowboy players as a great player and frequently they said so.

He will. In Cooperstown, though. Not Canton. ;)

Aikbach

Reaction score
burmafrd;1357245 said:
The obvious bias and other crap that reigns in the HOF has steadily diminished its worthiness in my eyes. If this keeps up it will soon become as legitimate as the Pro Bowl is now.
They are logjammed because they screwed up 30 years ago and now they have to retro-actively try and fix things that in the mean time snub the more recent worthy nominees.

Bob Hayes needs to go in regardless of six spots, they should make the exception of seven just to accomodate him, maybe Derrick Thomas as well seeming the two are deceased.

Drew Pearson, Bob Hayes and Art Monk all deserve to be HOF.

burmafrd

Reaction score
4 slots should be reserved for veterans picks for the next 10 years is what needs to be done. The WORST of the slights would be taken care of by then.

MarkBrunell

Benched
Reaction score
Its going to be a travesty if Darrell is not a first ballot HOF'er. Hes the only DB in the league for which you can make a case to be as good or even better than Deion.

They can't keep DG out for any reason. DG stepped up in big games, DG played for a long time and was always considered elite at his position in his prime.

Monks window of oppurtunity has closed. Next year Cris Carter will be taking his spot and the cycle will keep going on. Its a shame because Art should have made it several years ago.

Q_the_man

Reaction score
doomsday81;1357163 said:
No way Derrick Thomas should ever get in over Andre Tippett. No way. If Tippett played 10 years later when ESPN constantly showed his highlights, people would remember how dominant he was. My guess is you are a younger fan because Thomas wasn't nearly the overall player Tippett was over his career. I was happy to see Tippett make the final 10. That tells me he has a chance to get in at some point. Look at it this way: Tippett was the second best player at his position for close to a decade behind LT. A lot of people consider Taylor the best defensive player ever. Being a notch behind LT for 10 years isn't too bad. You just don't hear about Tippett because the media is too busy talking about Richard Dent and Derrick Thomas, two of the most overrated Hall of Fame canidates ever in my opinion.

Andre Tippett was an absolute monster and a linebacker who not only terrorized quarterbacks but was very good against the run. Unlike most pass rushers, Tippett played on the defense's left side because of his run stopping abilities and he still had 100 sacks. It would be a shame if a one-dimensional pass rusher like Thomas made it over Tippett, even though most people remember Thomas first because of the ESPN hype machine that came in full effect during the early 90s when Tippett was nearing the end of his career.
derrick thomas had like 9 sacks in one game and he died young and haD 127.5 sacks 40 ffs. Thomas had had least 4 more good years left in the tank..Tippett was good but played on some horrible teams he did nothing to improve his team record. Teams feared Thomas with a passion.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
Green is a first ballot HOF'er he is definately deserving, moreso than Monk

demdcowboys#1

Reaction score
BlueDemon;1357073 said:
Darrell Green was Irvin's personal Red Headed Step Child...he beat him like a drum for 10 years...IMO Green is one of the most overrated players of his time.

Good thing you aren't one of the HOF voters.

Smith22

Reaction score
Green and Thomas both better make it within their first 3 years of eligibility. Thomas was a monster, look at his freakin stats:

Although his career was cut short, he had established Chiefs' records in Pro Bowl appearances (9), sacks (126.5), safeties (3), forced fumbles (45), and fumble recoveries (18).

burmafrd

Reaction score
To be honest, franchise records usually mean very little to most HOF voters. Its NFL records and standings that count with them.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
lurkercowboy;1357161 said:
If a signature play was all it took, why isn't Drew Pearson in the HOF?
Agreed, great point. His catch and Staubach's heave changed the entire vernacular of the game forever.