I'm not a Commander fan, but

Hunter71

Reaction score
Considering the average NFL career is around 4-5 years, what he accomplished was impressive over a 20 year career...

Numbers aside, at some point you look at what that person brought to the game, their dedication and passion for the sport...

He returned punts, played in 7 pro bowls, etc.

He's a great story and should be rewarded for that...

Deputy493

Reaction score
Hostile;1357047 said:
I gotta disagree with you there. Darrell is a no doubt 1st ballot guy IMO.

absolutely.

The guys old enough to remember the 80's well know this........I will always remember Green as the guy who ran Dickerson and TD down from behind.

Green should get in first ballot next year, along with Cris Carter.

Didn't he run down Tony Dorsett from behind?

Yes and he also ran down Eric Dickerson from behind on MNF.....and not with an angle either, he simply ran him down from behind.

uhhh John Elway. Thanks for playing.

uhhh. Joe Montana, thank you for playing.

Ken

Reaction score
I think both Monk and Green go in next year and the Commanders will have their day.

Deputy493

Reaction score
Ken;1357114 said:
I think both Monk and Green go in next year and the Commanders will have their day.

Monk will have the same problem next year competing with Cris Carter who will be up and Andre Reed again.

Way 'nuff

Reaction score
Hostile;1357077 said:
I have no idea what that mumbo jumbo is about.

I'm talking about how voters make a big deal about players having "signature plays" ie Swann making that catch in the superbowl, Elway's 360 at the goaline...

Monk doesn't have one, and thats been a knock on him. One memorable play doesn't define a HoFer...they're in for their body of work.

Yeagermeister;1357085 said:
Actually it was Herschel

He might have gotten Herschel, but it was Dorsett in his rookie year when people took notice.

http://uncutvideo.aol.com/videos/cd5950cf0baeb53d6d8479e5fc2ab643

I was actually referring to Green's punt return in the playoffs against the Bears...the one where he's holding his ribs for the last 20 yards or so.

jimmy40

Reaction score
Deputy493;1357109 said:
absolutely.

The guys old enough to remember the 80's well know this........I will always remember Green as the guy who ran Dickerson and TD down from behind.

Green should get in first ballot next year, along with Cris Carter.

Yes and he also ran down Eric Dickerson from behind on MNF.....and not with an angle either, he simply ran him down from behind.

uhhh. Joe Montana, thank you for playing.
Montana was pretty much done by Aikman's time.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Green should be a sure shot HOF'er. Monk was very good, but not great. If you like catches, then he's your guy. But if you like guys who gain yards and TD's, which are truly far more important than receptions, and if you look at Monk's stats against his peers on a year by year basis, you'll see that Monk really shouldn't be in the HOF. He was essentially a good, but not great player and just did it for a long time. Russ Grimm should be in the HOF and Gary Clark should get much better consideration as well.

YAKUZA

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Way 'nuff;1357130 said:
I'm talking about how voters make a big deal about players having "signature plays" ie Swann making that catch in the superbowl, Elway's 360 at the goaline...

Monk doesn't have one, and thats been a knock on him. One memorable play doesn't define a HoFer...they're in for their body of work.
I have never heard this garbage in my entire life. Elway was a HOFer long before that 360 dive.

I have no idea how to respond other than to :rolleyes: at the idea a singular signature play.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Way 'nuff;1357130 said:

He might have gotten Herschel, but it was Dorsett in his rookie year when people took notice.

http://uncutvideo.aol.com/videos/cd5950cf0baeb53d6d8479e5fc2ab643

I was actually referring to Green's punt return in the playoffs against the Bears...the one where he's holding his ribs for the last 20 yards or so.

OK I stand corrected......Thanks

lurkercowboy

Reaction score
summerisfunner;1356895 said:
D Green was the best DB in the league until Michael Irvin started abusing him

but I agree that he belongs in the hall, although on the 1st ballot is iffy

Exactly. Green deserves the HOF. Irvin abused him most of the time they were matched up. That just illustrates how great Irvin was.

lurkercowboy

Reaction score
Hostile;1357141 said:
I have never heard this garbage in my entire life. Elway was a HOFer long before that 360 dive.

I have no idea how to respond other than to :rolleyes: at the idea a singular signature play.

If a signature play was all it took, why isn't Drew Pearson in the HOF?

doomsday81

Reaction score
playmakers;1356869 said:
Darrell Green should get in next season. That guy was good you have to give him credit for that. I saw on espn they said he was a maybe. Another one, Derrick Thomas, he was awesome, why wasn't he chosen? That baffles me. opinions

No way Derrick Thomas should ever get in over Andre Tippett. No way. If Tippett played 10 years later when ESPN constantly showed his highlights, people would remember how dominant he was. My guess is you are a younger fan because Thomas wasn't nearly the overall player Tippett was over his career. I was happy to see Tippett make the final 10. That tells me he has a chance to get in at some point. Look at it this way: Tippett was the second best player at his position for close to a decade behind LT. A lot of people consider Taylor the best defensive player ever. Being a notch behind LT for 10 years isn't too bad. You just don't hear about Tippett because the media is too busy talking about Richard Dent and Derrick Thomas, two of the most overrated Hall of Fame canidates ever in my opinion.

Andre Tippett was an absolute monster and a linebacker who not only terrorized quarterbacks but was very good against the run. Unlike most pass rushers, Tippett played on the defense's left side because of his run stopping abilities and he still had 100 sacks. It would be a shame if a one-dimensional pass rusher like Thomas made it over Tippett, even though most people remember Thomas first because of the ESPN hype machine that came in full effect during the early 90s when Tippett was nearing the end of his career.

Way 'nuff

Reaction score
lurkercowboy;1357161 said:
If a signature play was all it took, why isn't Drew Pearson in the HOF?

Hell if I know. I honestly don't know much about Drew Pearson.

It's not the definite reason, but its one of the reasons against Monk. It's one of the reasons why Swann is in. If I have to see that bumbling catch again, I'm gonna puke.

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
Hostile;1357141 said:

Hos it's not what he said.

I believe Adam Schefter when asked whether Art Monk would make the HOF or not said, "well, i've talked to reporters, and a lot of them wonder...what's a significant play that he did...and we couldn't think of any...so that's why he won't make the HOF"...

Something to that extent.

lurkercowboy

Reaction score
Way 'nuff;1357168 said:
Hell if I know. I honestly don't know much about Drew Pearson.

It's not the definite reason, but its one of the reasons against Monk. It's one of the reasons why Swann is in. If I have to see that bumbling catch again, I'm gonna puke.

I am with you there.