I'm not a Commander fan, but

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
DragonCowboy;1357173 said:
Hos it's not what he said.

I believe Adam Schefter when asked whether Art Monk would make the HOF or not said, "well, i've talked to reporters, and a lot of them wonder...what's a significant play that he did...and we couldn't think of any...so that's why he won't make the HOF"...

Something to that extent.
Not saying you, but that's just ridiculous. If those reporters don't know of what he did then they shouldn't even be voters. How can you vote on something you are completely uneducated about?

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
playmakers;1356869 said:
I'm not a Commander fan, either ...

...one vote for Art Monk ...not over Irvin; but with Irvin. Michael Irvin was overdue in my opinion!

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
playmakers;1356869 said:
Darrell Green should get in next season. That guy was good you have to give him credit for that. I saw on espn they said he was a maybe. Another one, Derrick Thomas, he was awesome, why wasn't he chosen? That baffles me. opinions

Green is a shoe-in , a no-brainer
no matter who you root for

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
DragonCowboy;1357173 said:
Hos it's not what he said.

I believe Adam Schefter when asked whether Art Monk would make the HOF or not said, "well, i've talked to reporters, and a lot of them wonder...what's a significant play that he did...and we couldn't think of any...so that's why he won't make the HOF"...

Something to that extent.

jesus, if memorable plays was the criteria then Drew Pearson should have a special bust in the hall, in his own wing

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I will never forget Green running down Tony D. from behind .....

Darrell Green is all Pro and all Class ....... I love the guy and it would be a horrible injustice if he does not get in the Hall of Fame ......

demdcowboys#1

Reaction score
zrinkill;1357529 said:
I will never forget Green running down Tony D. from behind .....

Darrell Green is all Pro and all Class ....... I love the guy and it would be a horrible injustice if he does not get in the Hall of Fame ......

agreed. He is a first class HOFer IMO, and he should most def. get in next year. If not, then something is wrong with the voters.

phildominator

Reaction score
fiveandcounting;1357509 said:
jesus, if memorable plays was the criteria then Drew Pearson should have a special bust in the hall, in his own wing

What would be Pearson's top 5 'signature plays'?

phildominator

Reaction score
Hostile;1357484 said:
Agreed, great point. His catch and Staubach's heave changed the entire vernacular of the game forever.

I think we overstate the significance of the Hail Mary's place in NFL History.

lurkercowboy

Reaction score
phildominator;1357545 said:
What would be Pearson's top 5 'signature plays'?

I can think of three right off hand.

1. The Hail Mary pass to beat Minnesota in the 75 playoffs (not to mention the 4th and ten catch to keep the drive alive.)
2. The acrobatic grab to beat Atlanta in the 80 playoffs.
3. The TD catch from Longley in the 74 t-day game.

These are three famous plays that are shown on highlight reels all the time.

needforspeed

Legend in my spare time
Reaction score
phildominator;1357568 said:

yep. just another meaningless play at the end of an otherwise insignificant game.:rolleyes:

phildominator

Reaction score
MichellesMan;1357587 said:
yep. just another meaningless play at the end of an otherwise insignificant game.:rolleyes:

I knew that comment wouldn't be received well.

I just don't think NFL history considers the Hail Mary play as significant as The Catch, the Immaculate Reception, the Holy Roller, the Ice Bowl QB sneak and a host of other plays.

Don't know why, I just don't think it gets as much play. I see replays all the time of the other plays, but rarely of the Hail Mary. Call it Cowboys bias, I guess.

I see the replay of Bob Lilly hucking his Super Bowl V helmet more.

For non-Cowboys fans, how many people know the Hail Mary was coined by a Cowboys play?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
phildominator;1357568 said:
If you read my comment closely I talked about how it changed the "vernacular" of the game.

Did they call Flutie's pass to Whalen "The Catch?"

phildominator

Reaction score
Hostile;1357608 said:
If you read my comment closely I talked about how it changed the "vernacular" of the game.

Did they call Flutie's pass to Whalen "The Catch?"

I did read your comment closely. Yes, that play did change the vernacular of the game.

My comment is simply that I believe we think more of the Hail Mary play than NFL mediots do.

needforspeed

Legend in my spare time
Reaction score
phildominator;1357602 said:
I knew that comment wouldn't be received well.

I just don't think NFL history considers the Hail Mary play as significant as The Catch, the Immaculate Reception, the Holy Roller, the Ice Bowl QB sneak and a host of other plays.

Don't know why, I just don't think it gets as much play. I see replays all the time of the other plays, but rarely of the Hail Mary. Call it Cowboys bias, I guess.

I see the replay of Bob Lilly hucking his Super Bowl V helmet more.

For non-Cowboys fans, how many people know the Hail Mary was coined by a Cowboys play?

The Holy Roller? ESPN much? Now we come to the crux of the matter. If it isn't touted by the mediots, then it just isn't significant. That explains it.

phildominator

Reaction score
MichellesMan;1357619 said:
If it isn't touted by the mediots, then it just isn't significant. That explains it.

Although you say this sarcastically, this statement is closer to the truth than you meant it to be.

As an analogy, there are lots of significant political issues, but the only ones that are household are the ones touted by the mediots.

I probably watch less ESPN than most (cuz I don't watch ESPN) and ESPN definitely has a subjective spin, but you can't discount the importance ESPN has had on how NFL history is remembered. Same thing with NFL Films -- I don't recall The Hail Mary being the focus of one of their segments.

NFL Films and ESPN don't give the Hail Mary much play. Non-Cowboys fans don't know as much about the Hail Mary as they do the other plays aforementioned.

phildominator

Reaction score
One question I have is how many Cowboys HOF spots were lost simply because we lost three SB's in the 70s and the two Ice Bowls.

How five games can color the mediots' opinion of so many Cowboys' careers is upsetting.

lurkercowboy

Reaction score
phildominator;1357627 said:
Although you say this sarcastically, this statement is closer to the truth than you meant it to be.

As an analogy, there are lots of significant political issues, but the only ones that are household are the ones touted by the mediots.

I probably watch less ESPN than most (cuz I don't watch ESPN) and ESPN definitely has a subjective spin, but you can't discount the importance ESPN has had on how NFL history is remembered. Same thing with NFL Films -- I don't recall The Hail Mary being the focus of one of their segments.

NFL Films and ESPN don't give the Hail Mary much play. Non-Cowboys fans don't know as much about the Hail Mary as they do the other plays aforementioned.

I have seen it quite a bit on various shows. Maybe that is because I tend to watch more Cowboys-related things.