CFZ I'm so excited for this team. but

cmoney23

Reaction score
I have to say.
On paper, to me, this is one of the best Cowboys teams in recent memory.

We have a top-10 QB, a top-10 WR, a top-10 RB (if healthy, and he should be), a solid OL group paired with a defense that has TWO top-end CBs, possibly the league's best defensive player, top-end pass rushers, and now two big boys to stuff the run inside. Our defense should be the strength of this team, and that's saying something.

But...every time I start to think we could do some damage, win the ship. I'm just sunk by the offensive coaching staff and the changes we made.

I'm not a fan of Big Mike or Marty's kid. I really think we are taking a few steps backward this year. I'm not saying the offense didn't need a change. I think it did. Moore was/is too reliant on comeback routes and failed with game management at times. But his offenses produced points.

Am I wrong? Who else thinks we are going to be hampered by Mike and Marty Jr?

youngjerryjones

Reaction score
We were hampered by KM...how many times did he not learn from his predecessor JG that we needed to run the ball to close out games. I literally think he got fired after the GB game, not figuring out how to run the ball and close out games is a serious problem from him, especially when we have the talent to do it. Also, who was stopping him from using TP all the way up until his contract year?

MM has his warts, but he def was the voice to get Zeke to take a back seat and that was something that was needed. It looks like the days of $$ hitting the field with JG and KM are over with MM and DQ, now if you are getting paid and not producing you will still lose your role. How many times did we see us paying and playing players that did not deserve it.

Marty's kid runs the ball. He also runs a lot of play action with Russ. There's a reason Russ fell off a cliff going into Hackett's offensive system. I would rather have Marty's kid with some skins on the wall than a JG/Scott Linehan clone who think's he changes but runs out of his bag of tricks by the bye week. When games get tough, he reverts into the same passing concepts that zone defenses tear up. You could tell the gameplan changed with Cooper Rush - likely because MM was heavily involved with keeping the team afloat and producing a new identity that let the defense lead the way. Some say this "gassed" the defense by the end of the year but really it was KM who lost the Jags and GB game that ultimately lost him his job.

rags747

Reaction score
We are going to find out soon enough. Just remember that the days that we were dominant we had Top Flight QB’s and Top Flight RB’s, also Top Flight OL. Do we have that currently, we will sure as all get out find out. I think the Giants could really surprise as I do like their coaching staff. Ours is to be determined!

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I’ve learned long ago never to get too excited about any team we have, especially with the brutal schedule we have coming up this season. This team still has some holes and there’s uncertainty at a few positions. The Cowboys never seem to be fully committed to being a great team. Once they start looking great and we all think this could be a special team they hit a pothole and start to regress. By the time the playoffs get here they’re never as good as they were earlier in the season. If some of you want to fall into the same old trap and get your expectations up only to get them dashed, go ahead. I’ll believe it when I see it with this team.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
tenor.gif

youngjerryjones

Reaction score
I’ve learned long ago never to get too excited about any team we have, especially with the brutal schedule we have coming up this season. This team still has some holes and there’s uncertainty at a few positions. The Cowboys never seem to be fully committed to being a great team. Once they start looking great and we all think this could be a special team they hit a pothole and start to regress. By the time the playoffs get here they’re never as good as they were earlier in the season. If some of you want to fall into the same old trap and get your expectations up only to get them dashed, go ahead. I’ll believe it when I see it with this team.
This is why you enjoy the summer, let the chips fall were they may, and hope for the best going into the 2023 NFL Season. The schedule looks daunting now but we all know how things drastically change by Week 4 let alone Week 8. I am still waiting for the year where they Cowboys get HOT at the end of the season, rather than the first two months as it seems opponents break down our offense by the time we get to January and it's ineffective.

Micah also needs to watch the Trent Williams tape because he needs to figure out how to make plays on Elite defenders, not just getting lined up on back-up RT as a mis-match.

JustChip

Reaction score
Well, Wiiillllber, I’ve been exited at this point afore and the opposite as well (way so in the Campo years). It’s way more enjoyable for me to be exited at this point than not, regardless of what eventually transpires.

Bing

Reaction score
Fans are excited every year at the start of the season about the changes made and every year disappointed with the results at the end of the season. It's a vicious cycle that has gone on for years. So every year the same question is asked. Can this year be the year we win it all? Well for decades that answer has always came back at the end of the season as a big fat no. If would be nice to see the Boys back in the Superbowl but unfortunately after decades of the same it is easier for me to keep my expectations low as I would rather be surprised then disappointed come the end of the season.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Well, Wiiillllber, I’ve been exited at this point afore and the opposite as well (way so in the Campo years). It’s way more enjoyable for me to be exited at this point than not, regardless of what eventually transpires.
I always enter the season with cautious optimism regarding the Cowboys. I try never to get too high about the team or too low.

Havic

Reaction score
This team will go as dak performs. I am hoping he turns it around. He held onto the ball too long at times and forced things that weren’t there.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have to say.
On paper, to me, this is one of the best Cowboys teams in recent memory.

We have a top-10 QB, a top-10 WR, a top-10 RB (if healthy, and he should be), a solid OL group paired with a defense that has TWO top-end CBs, possibly the league's best defensive player, top-end pass rushers, and now two big boys to stuff the run inside. Our defense should be the strength of this team, and that's saying something.

But...every time I start to think we could do some damage, win the ship. I'm just sunk by the offensive coaching staff and the changes we made.

I'm not a fan of Big Mike or Marty's kid. I really think we are taking a few steps backward this year. I'm not saying the offense didn't need a change. I think it did. Moore was/is too reliant on comeback routes and failed with game management at times. But his offenses produced points.

Am I wrong? Who else thinks we are going to be hampered by Mike and Marty Jr?
I stopped reading here........
We have a top-10 QB :facepalm: