CFZ I'm so excited for this team. but

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
We’ve been a solid team on paper for 15-20 years. Hasn’t amounted to anything.

This season is completely on Dak. Defense is loaded and offense has enough that a 40 million dollar QB should excel.
20 years? 20 years ago we had Quincy Carter as our starting QB.

But that being said....we were duped most of those years. Those teams were never truly loaded. Realistically.....there was 2007, 2014, 2016 and 2021 and '22. The Cowboys were not serious about contending with guys like George Selvie and Mackenzie Bernadeau getting reps for them. No matter what Jerry said.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I have to say.
On paper, to me, this is one of the best Cowboys teams in recent memory.

We have a top-10 QB, a top-10 WR, a top-10 RB (if healthy, and he should be), a solid OL group paired with a defense that has TWO top-end CBs, possibly the league's best defensive player, top-end pass rushers, and now two big boys to stuff the run inside. Our defense should be the strength of this team, and that's saying something.

But...every time I start to think we could do some damage, win the ship. I'm just sunk by the offensive coaching staff and the changes we made.

I'm not a fan of Big Mike or Marty's kid. I really think we are taking a few steps backward this year. I'm not saying the offense didn't need a change. I think it did. Moore was/is too reliant on comeback routes and failed with game management at times. But his offenses produced points.

Am I wrong? Who else thinks we are going to be hampered by Mike and Marty Jr?
As far as points, yep, we are taking a step back. I don't think we'll have as many points scored. Because nobody really does that better than Kellen Moore, as much as everyone wants to hate him for not being perfect in Dallas.

I like the idea of implementing a WCO system, because we have the personnel to do it. That's been my whole beef with McCarthy and Moore: the fact they never worked together to take something from one system or scheme, combine or implement it into the other. It always seemed like a competition, power struggle between them. And then when Moore was fired and McCarthy stayed, that's what it ended up being if you're capable of reading the writing on the wall.

You rarely win that way. Look at how Johnson worked with Wandstadt or whoever and Turner.. It wasn't a dictatorship, and they weren't afraid to share ideas and combine them. That's how you win. I'm not sure Mike had the ability to put his ego aside. The only person who has demonstrated that was Dan Quinn.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I wonder who decided once Pollard got hurt was just to run Zeke and not give Malik Davis any carries........
This guy:
OIP.X6wzGyNlhk-us6wHsYKHdAHaKU

But I don't know why the HC never over-ruled him on things.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
This guy:
OIP.X6wzGyNlhk-us6wHsYKHdAHaKU

But I don't know why the HC never over-ruled him on things.
I was just explaining it. They weren't working together, Whoever's fault that was, it was McCarthy's job to facilitate it. Not playing Davis was just silly, but that was also because Davis was #3 and didn't get the practice reps to pass block.

In my opinion, the back they should have taken to San Fran was on the practice squad, Ollison. They should have just let Zeke sit on the inactive list for that game. His decline really hurt our team that game.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
The thing about it, though, is that people forget Kellen Moore is pretty brilliant. For a guy with his athleticism, he was able to play at the NFL level and was actually the winningest college QB of all time. So, there was something to his game and we saw that with how he overachieved here.

I don't think people understand just how good Kellen was, but I suspect we may find out this year. On the other hand, I am excited about the WCO changes I'm hoping to see. Nothing too fancy, I hope. But we have to establish a new offensive identity with some of these players, and I think the WCO style fits what we should be doing.

I want to see more pre-snap motion, more tosses, pitches, mis-direction runs, pulls, WR handoffs, FB, TE plays, etc.

I anticipate there will be some struggles. If anything the offense will be more exciting without Zeke. Sadly, I think Zeke vision of himself will end up hurting his career more than his actual skillset. He can still play, just not at a really high level. Getting older is a b, sometimes.

I hope they are studying some of their opponents play calls and schemes. The ability to do something new helped them last year, then they sat on their hands in Frisco..

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
20 years? 20 years ago we had Quincy Carter as our starting QB.

But that being said....we were duped most of those years. Those teams were never truly loaded. Realistically.....there was 2007, 2014, 2016 and 2021 and '22. The Cowboys were not serious about contending with guys like George Selvie and Mackenzie Bernadeau getting reps for them. No matter what Jerry said.
Oh wow....Selvie and Bernadeau!! Now that's a blast from the past that I had forgotten!! :laugh:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The thing about it, though, is that people forget Kellen Moore is pretty brilliant. For a guy with his athleticism, he was able to play at the NFL level and was actually the winningest college QB of all time. So, there was something to his game and we saw that with how he overachieved here.

I don't think people understand just how good Kellen was, but I suspect we may find out this year. On the other hand, I am excited about the WCO changes I'm hoping to see. Nothing too fancy, I hope. But we have to establish a new offensive identity with some of these players, and I think the WCO style fits what we should be doing.

I want to see more pre-snap motion, more tosses, pitches, mis-direction runs, pulls, WR handoffs, FB, TE plays, etc.

I anticipate there will be some struggles. If anything the offense will be more exciting without Zeke. Sadly, I think Zeke vision of himself will end up hurting his career more than his actual skillset. He can still play, just not at a really high level. Getting older is a b, sometimes.

I hope they are studying some of their opponents play calls and schemes. The ability to do something new helped them last year, then they sat on their hands in Frisco..
Fans may go overboard about KM in LAC. And will give him more credit than he may deserve.

LAC already has a QB that has the pedigree and traits of what many would consider an elite QB. Has all the tools, prototypical size and all that.
Herbert is not a bad QB as we all know, and has shown signs to get to be a top QB. Last year they improved upon the prior season. They also had a lot of injuries. 2 top WR's as well as the RB's.
A lot of talent on the defense, but for some reason just not playing up to that talent. But the offense if healthy can be improved regardless, and may have nothing to do with Moore.

However, we know how that will go on here no matter if improved or if worse.

So they were already poised to be "super charged" (pun intended). So how far will they go, how much will they improve with or without KM. Or do they take a step back.

I expect them to be better, but not because of KM. But because the talent is already there, or signs of it.
I have no idea what their off-season was like though, for FA or the draft. I did not pay that much attention to them.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When you have an offensive coordinator giving you the most productive offense in the league other than the Chiefs a change is needed.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I just can't seem to lose picture of this CB rating:

1. Sauce Gardner Jets
2. Jalin Ramsey Miami
3. Dar;ius Slay Eagles
4. Patrick Surtain II Denver
5. Jaire Alexander Green Bay
6. Stephon Gilmore Dallas
7. Marshone Lattimore Saints
8. Trevon Diggs Dallas
9. Jaycee Horn Carolina
10. Jamel Dean Tampa Bay

Mix those corners with the current box area of this defense, and Dallas can match up with any team in the NFL.

That, and Dallas with out play any passing offense they come against as a result of this.

3 current receivers with 1,000+ receiving years will match up with any lesser cornered team they play.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
I have to say.
On paper, to me, this is one of the best Cowboys teams in recent memory.

We have a top-10 QB, a top-10 WR, a top-10 RB (if healthy, and he should be), a solid OL group paired with a defense that has TWO top-end CBs, possibly the league's best defensive player, top-end pass rushers, and now two big boys to stuff the run inside. Our defense should be the strength of this team, and that's saying something.

But...every time I start to think we could do some damage, win the ship. I'm just sunk by the offensive coaching staff and the changes we made.

I'm not a fan of Big Mike or Marty's kid. I really think we are taking a few steps backward this year. I'm not saying the offense didn't need a change. I think it did. Moore was/is too reliant on comeback routes and failed with game management at times. But his offenses produced points.

Am I wrong? Who else thinks we are going to be hampered by Mike and Marty Jr?
Unless Dallas becomes a running team, with solid OL play, which would be smart given their QB situation, Mike and Schitt, are probably not going to do much to improve the offense.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
Fans are excited every year at the start of the season about the changes made and every year disappointed with the results at the end of the season. It's a vicious cycle that has gone on for years. So every year the same question is asked. Can this year be the year we win it all? Well for decades that answer has always came back at the end of the season as a big fat no. If would be nice to see the Boys back in the Superbowl but unfortunately after decades of the same it is easier for me to keep my expectations low as I would rather be surprised then disappointed come the end of the season.
I don't think fans are excited.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The bigger issue to me is how much have our opponents improved in offseason and draft ?

Are there teams from last year who may have improved more?