I'm sorry, but what does "Rue The Day" mean?

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;2503902 said:
You will rue the day you try to smite me with geography.

I send the ultimate rue your way sir...

rue_l.jpg

I rue that quite abit, but I would have rued it more if Rue had been naked!

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
StarKist;2503920 said:
Book mark this page or you'll rue my advise Dictionary.com
rue
1   /ru/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [roo] Show IPA Pronunciation ,
verb, rued, ru⋅ing, noun
–verb (used with object)
1. to feel sorrow over; repent of; regret bitterly: to rue the loss of opportunities.
2. to wish that (something) had never been done, taken place, etc.: I rue the day he was born.
–verb (used without object)
3. to feel sorrow, repentance, or regret.
–noun
4. sorrow; repentance; regret.
5. pity or compassion.
Origin:
bef. 900; (v.) ME ruen, rewen, OE hrēowan; c. D rouwen, G reuen; (n.) ME rewe, reowe, OE hrēow; c. D rouw, G Reue; cf. ruth
Starkist, forgive me man, or I may rue it.

Advise

Advice

jday

Reaction score
How could we forget:

rp.jpg

I rue paul being born...but that's just me...

SteveOS

Dedicated to Sports Gaming
Reaction score
LOL, sorry about that. I do know what "Rue" means, I guess what I meant to say was, why does everyone seem to use it in a joking manner? Like an inside joke sort of thing, that is flying over my head. Maybe it's just me, but I never say, I will "Rue the day, I went out and got plastered". I'd just say, I'm gonna regret this day. Or, Oh snap, what did I just do to myself. Guess it's a Texas thing, LOL. I'd never use "Rue" sorry, haha.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
SteveOS;2503941 said:
LOL, sorry about that. I do know what "Rue" means, I guess what I meant to say was, why does everyone seem to use it in a joking manner? Like an inside joke sort of thing, that is flying over my head. Maybe it's just me, but I never say, I will "Rue the day, I went out and got plastered". I'd just say, I'm gonna regret this day. Or, Oh snap, what did I just do to myself. Guess it's a Texas thing, LOL. I'd never use "Rue" sorry, haha.
We had a poster who predicted we would "rue the day" that we did not take Kellen Clemens in the Draft.

It cracked us all up and became a forum joke.

Here's the thread.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Now that we know what "RUE" means...what I want to know is.....why do people say....."PROLLY".....when it should be "PROBABLY".

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
SteveOS;2503941 said:

It's a saying from the past. To "rue" something isn't commonly used in American English. It is Old English with roots in German and Latin I believe. It's an old saying that has carried over all the years.

Like many old sayings, it just sticks around. You hear it when your young and you say it when you're old. ...and so it carries on!

SteveOS

Dedicated to Sports Gaming
Reaction score
Hostile;2503952 said:
We had a poster who predicted we would "rue the day" that we did not take Kellen Clemens in the Draft.

It cracked us all up and became a forum joke.

Here's the thread.

Ah yes, thanks Hos.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
SteveOS;2503968 said:
Ah yes, thanks Hos.
No sweat. That poster has resurfaced many times, always the gadfly, Dallas is always in trouble.

He's been
ban.jpg
ned more than an armpit.

kmd24

Reaction score
Y'all are all wrong. It's directions for a gumbo recipe. As in chicken and andouille gumbo:

Firs ya make dem rue dat day, den add dem un-yons, celries, an bell peppers. Cook til sof. Add dem chicken stock an simma won are an haf.

Etc., etc., and so on. Deliciousness.

Wrangler87

Reaction score
jazzcat22;2503954 said:
Now that we know what "RUE" means...what I want to know is.....why do people say....."PROLLY".....when it should be "PROBABLY".

Or noone instead of no one.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
kmd24;2503990 said:
Y'all are all wrong. It's directions for a gumbo recipe. As in chicken and andouille gumbo:

Etc., etc., and so on. Deliciousness.

[youtube]eK4umRMJlrs[/youtube]

I used to love watching this show

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;2503849 said:
You will rue the day you questioned what rue the day means.

I see massive rueage in your future.

:lmao2: No one, and I mean no one, does this better...........

STAR GAZER

Benched
Reaction score
Rue the day is a bit like eating crow. And I don't mean Sheryl Crow. Although you would most likely rue the day you did that. :puke:

dallas_112678

Reaction score
jazzcat22;2503954 said:

Prolly because we actually knew what "rue the day" meant without making a thread about it so we dont have to be completely over your level. We like to keep things balanced so we say "prolly."

Smith22

Reaction score
While we are at it, why do some people pronounce Sunday (or any day of the week for that matter) SunDEE. That drives me crazy.:laugh1:

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Smith22;2504102 said:
While we are at it, why do some people pronounce Sunday (or any day of the week for that matter) SunDEE. That drives me crazy.:laugh1:

That is a old southern thing. At least I believe everyone I know over 75 does that. haha