Imagine Dak without Zeke

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Its not about wanting another back. Its about value and the type of team we have. This team NEEDS corners, leaders, and defense. And with the skill of the Oline we dont necessarily need a Zeke Elliott to have a great running game.

Really? How was our running game in 2015? That was the entire argument so many fans tried to talk themselves into after Demarco left and we were going to roll with Randle, Dunbar and McFadden. Night and day difference and a huge drop off. But they were running behind the same line Demarco did. The run game struggled to put any drives together or get the important yards.

And the run game was pretty nonexistent last season when Zeke missed 6 games.

This offense is predicated on having a bell cow RB that controls tempo. Ask Nate Newton about what he thinks about Emmitt. He will tell you without Emmitt, that line is not as highly regarded as it became. When Emmitt held out in 1993, his backup was terrible. But he was running behind the same line. A great RB is going to find the holes the mediocre ones will not. They are going to turn no gains into 2 and 3. Losses into no gains.

Ramsey would not have helped this team anywhere close to what Zeke did in 2016.

jay94

Reaction score
Main reason our run game sucked in 15 was because we were the 31st penalized offensive line in the league with no qb game.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak would be ok without Elliott. We’d need to have added a back anyway, and who knows which player that might have been. Dak’s issue last year was the protection breakdown.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
I don't think the 90's Cowboys win it all 3 times without Smith. No doubt Zeke makes life easier for Dak and Dak will have to elevate his game to help open things up for Zeke.
Good point Doomsday, I agree. Emmitt was just as important to the 90s Cowboys as Zeke is today.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Really? How was our running game in 2015? That was the entire argument so many fans tried to talk themselves into after Demarco left and we were going to roll with Randle, Dunbar and McFadden. Night and day difference and a huge drop off. But they were running behind the same line Demarco did. The run game struggled to put any drives together or get the important yards.

And the run game was pretty nonexistent last season when Zeke missed 6 games.

This offense is predicated on having a bell cow RB that controls tempo. Ask Nate Newton about what he thinks about Emmitt. He will tell you without Emmitt, that line is not as highly regarded as it became. When Emmitt held out in 1993, his backup was terrible. But he was running behind the same line. A great RB is going to find the holes the mediocre ones will not. They are going to turn no gains into 2 and 3. Losses into no gains.

Ramsey would not have helped this team anywhere close to what Zeke did in 2016.

I didnt say dunbar or Randle. I said guys like Hunt, Kamara that were all drafted in the 2nd round or later.

I wasnt the moron that though Murray could be replaced by Randle. That would be Garrett.

YOu can find great backs without using first round picks.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
If we had taken Ramsey instead of Zeke, I doubt Dak would be where he is without Zeke.
If he didn't have the threat that Zeke provided in his 1st year after taking over for Romo, it's highly likely that he would be fighting to remain the starting/Franchise QB.
Not having Zeke would've hindered his development due to teams not having to worry about the run threat that Zeke provided. A lesser RB would've been hard pressed to provide that same threat.
Zeke is a special player and what he offers is not easily found. We saw last year what things likely would've been like.
I think having Zeke has allowed Dak to develop into a top tier QB, potentially. Having the luxury to use the play action and getting that extra time due to the Defense having to worry about Zeke has been crucial to Dak's development. The Offensive line deserves a lot of credit but Zeke is the straw that stirs the drink.

It's likely Romo is still the starting QB if we don't draft Zeke. Nobody would care about Dak and they possibly would have worked to draft a guy this year (early - not in the 5th like with White).

John813

Reaction score
Would there been a drop off if Morris was the lead back and McF getting some carries as well?
Yes.
Would it been a huge drop off?
No.

This line is built to where any back that has vision can thrive. Morris doesn't have that breakaway speed but he was that back that improved the closer he got to 15-20 carries. No homerun runs as we saw with Zeke vs Pitt or Cinncy, but I would bet his YPC would of been mid 4's in 2016.