Imagine taking T.J. Watt instead of Taco

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Parsons couldve lasted until 15th. But I believe the FO got cute enough with their guy trading back a few spots to get him.

It’s good to know that the scouts had it to where they were likely to get a quality defensive player either way with Surtain or Parsons. The jury is still out on Horn for me.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We should always evaluate our misses in an effort to improve.
My larger point is that overall the boys draft folks have done a great job relative to other teams.
Yes, especially offensively but if we are looking for factors on why this franchise hasn’t had more success we can look to the misses and risk taken defensively in the draft.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Quality players at every position isn’t possible in Cap era. But players like Watt definitely put you closer if you have other pieces in place.

The bigger point is he was there when we selected so it’s an easy critique . And it’s an example on some of the misses we’ve had this era on defense in draft which cumulatively could have made a difference .

If you can open yourself up to critical thinking it’s a valid argument.

There was nothing wrong with the Charlton pick at the time. He didn't pan out. It happens. Critical thinking will tell you it was not a good pick, but at some point you have to move on. That was 5 years ago. It isn't critical thinking for it to be brought up over and over in various threads. And drafting Watt doesn't guarantee success(as evident from the Steelers lack of success) and is still dependent on the talent Dallas acquires after that draft. It is also funny to me that someone says if the Cowboys just listened to them and drafted Watt the team would be successful, but fail to include all the other players they wanted that haven't panned out in the NFL.

lostar2009

Reaction score
It’s good to know that the scouts had it to where they were likely to get a quality defensive player either way with Surtain or Parsons. The jury is still out on Horn for me.

Yup. I rhink Parsons is more of the type of mold they want. T.J Watt

nathanlt

Reaction score
and having the super duo linebacker core of Parsons w/ Watt.......even greater than the doomsday defense of the landry era.....I cringe everytime I think about it Taco bum was selected instead of......could of should of.....but its great to ponder..

Right... but given that Dallas successfully picked CeeDee Lamb and Trevon Diggs I'm ok with it. It is an interesting 'should have' to think about it, though.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yup. I rhink Parsons is more of the type of mold they want. T.J Watt

And if it were my call, I’d be looking at another pass rusher in the 2022 draft. I want to move on from Lawrence’s contract and this upcoming class looks well-stocked with edge players.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Imagine not drafting dak, or Micah or CeeDee
1 thing we seem 2 do better than many teams is draft. We rarely miss these days. Now the question is, can we put a team on the field that can learn how to win big games and close games out. Zeke said it well a few games back...he said "choke teams out." That is what we need to be better at. That means playing smart and limiting key penalties in key times. We are young, but Dak, as this teams "elder statesman" need to be the bull horn on this. Its his time 2 shine in that regard. This next game will test this.

conner01

Reaction score
Crap here we go again, or is that still.

It is history, can't be changed, get over it.
I’d like to go back 5 years and repick
I could build a heck of a team
Unfortunately I can’t or I would go back and change my lotto numbers too

Reid1boys

Reaction score
why imagine it? All you guys would be doing is talking about how we cant keep all of these players. And would we have taken Parsons?

kskboys

Reaction score
Maybe you should have offered the services of your crystal ball so Jerry, being the GM would not hurt us so badly. ;)
I did, and my moves would've turned out much much better. Like not even close.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I did, and my moves would've turned out much much better. Like not even close.

Yeah. This was one that plenty of us got 100% right. And many of the same people wanting to “move on” now were defending the Taco pick then.

kskboys

Reaction score
Yeah. This was one that plenty of us got 100% right. And many of the same people wanting to “move on” now were defending the Taco pick then.
I used to be on the other side of the coin, thinking there was no way guys on a website could draft better than the "experts."

Then the 09 draft happened. Lord ha' mercy, that was just stupid. Suddenly I started looking around and saw fellow posters posting much better drafts predraft than what we did.

Oh, and the MO draft. A fellow poster was from Louisana, big LSU fan, and he hated the pick. Mo's scouting report read like a mid round talent. Just like he played, BTW. Know who I was screaming for in that draft? Brockers first, but then I was just sure we were trading up to get Fletcher Cox. I cried a little bit(in between screams) when we took frickin' MO. And shocker of all shockers, he played just like his scouting report said he would.

I have no idea what we use to determine talent, but I do know that a frickin' magazine from Walmart provides better info than what Jerry apparently has.