Impressive 2 years on the rebuild

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Although some don't like to use the word, rebuilding is exactly what this team has been doing the last few years. It has been very impressive what they have done in the last two years alone. Not only that, but they have done it by using primarily the draft. And being overly cautious in FA will be paying dividends come next year with nice cap relief. Can they develop a complete team without signing and big name guys in FA going forward? I have my doubts.

In answer to your question, our cap space is much more user friendly towards FA's in the future, as in 2019. Building the team through the draft is the way to go but we've had a nice mix of FA's and the draft in 2018. Like the new mentality by the FO

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
I don't see a rebuild. I see a re-tool. When they decided to go with Dak as the QB and it appears they believe he is the future, then you have to build a team differently than if you have a Tony Romo as qB or some other elite level QB. The first 3 seasons of Garrett were the re-build phase. That team was in shambles along with the cap situation. But since 2014, the team has been very competitive even though our cap would not allow us to be big players in FA. In 2016, they again had to change gears due to the injury to Romo and the emergence of Dak, who it appears, they believe will be the future. So they go get OL to make sure he is protected, they focus on D, because in the NFL, if you don't have an elite level QB, then you need an Elite level D. I think they are trying to build a team that will work to Dak's strengths, which is handing the ball off, running a few times a game and making simple throws to convert 3rd downs, play solid D and special teams and win games in the 4th quarter.

As it stands now, we have a young, talented team and the cap situation has improved tremendously. Now we can go get a missing piece or two should we want to while signing our guys to long term deals. We are in a much better spot today than when Garrett took over, so that's a positive. Now, we have to win the games that matters. If he can't do that, then hopefully we find someone who can.

Pompey-Cowboy

Reaction score
I don't see a rebuild. I see a re-tool. When they decided to go with Dak as the QB and it appears they believe he is the future, then you have to build a team differently than if you have a Tony Romo as qB or some other elite level QB. The first 3 seasons of Garrett were the re-build phase. That team was in shambles along with the cap situation. But since 2014, the team has been very competitive even though our cap would not allow us to be big players in FA. In 2016, they again had to change gears due to the injury to Romo and the emergence of Dak, who it appears, they believe will be the future. So they go get OL to make sure he is protected, they focus on D, because in the NFL, if you don't have an elite level QB, then you need an Elite level D. I think they are trying to build a team that will work to Dak's strengths, which is handing the ball off, running a few times a game and making simple throws to convert 3rd downs, play solid D and special teams and win games in the 4th quarter.

As it stands now, we have a young, talented team and the cap situation has improved tremendously. Now we can go get a missing piece or two should we want to while signing our guys to long term deals. We are in a much better spot today than when Garrett took over, so that's a positive. Now, we have to win the games that matters. If he can't do that, then hopefully we find someone who can.
Careful, that is borderline complimentary towards JG. (There are many that won't like that)

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It really has been impressive to see them assemble all this talent in such a short amount of time.

The bad QB, no weapons, weak middle of the defense, journeyman safeties, I marvel at it all.

duro420

Reaction score
They are in year 24 of the rebuild not 2.

Can't you see that you're tearing this family apart!!

Good grief, look how many other divas thumbed you..Landry holdovers much??

No but serious the arrow is pointed up with the talent we've accumulated. If you can't see that maybe the game has past you by. Might I recommend gardening or knitting as an option.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Hold up,hold up, hold up. So you admit it’s impressive how the team has been rebuilding, but on the other hand claim the coach is bad? How can one see a team in rebuild as impressive, and not see a coach keeping the team pretty competitive during the rebuild as equally impressive?

Without the addition of Dak Prescott, I may not be writing this thread at all. The key to our quick rebuild was landing a complete stud QB like Dak in the 4th round. And then him coming out of the gate and being incredible from day one going 13-3. Allowing us to remain more than competitive. Most rebuilding teams have to sit through finding another franchise QB and then having to wait 2 or 3 years until he develops. Getting Zeke in the same draft was another key. So essentially going immediately from a stud like Romo to a stud like Dak bridged that competitive gap completely.

I would hate to think what this team would have looked like without Prescott. We have all seen what Garrett is capable of without a stud QB saving his job.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
They are doing a good job! The secondary was quick it seems like yesterday Carr, Claiborne and Scandrick were starting. They are also taking care of thier own guys with the oline. Pretty sure DeMarcus Lawrence will get paid. This team has some pretty good players and it's all coming through drafts. Things should continue to get better as these young guys develop!

And they have to have another great draft next year and sign some real FA's.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Agreed. It has only been 22 years since the last SB. No need to rush things. Garrett just needs a few more years to fully implement his process.

At some point in 20 years if Garrett sticks around, we will get lucky or have a magical season or two. Even a broken clock is right twice a day. Prescott seems to be some of that luck at the moment.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
In answer to your question, our cap space is much more user friendly towards FA's in the future, as in 2019. Building the team through the draft is the way to go but we've had a nice mix of FA's and the draft in 2018. Like the new mentality by the FO

I like it as well. But when they get some cap space, they need to fill a big hole or two.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Although some don't like to use the word, rebuilding is exactly what this team has been doing the last few years. It has been very impressive what they have done in the last two years alone. Not only that, but they have done it by using primarily the draft. And being overly cautious in FA will be paying dividends come next year with nice cap relief. Can they develop a complete team without signing and big name guys in FA going forward? I have my doubts.

I'd venture to say we all have our doubts as to whether what we have thus far is enough to be considered a "complete" team. For any one team to be highly capable of winning in the "big show," it takes a wealth of talent to be proven successful. I would agree that we've come a long way to reaching that goal but I can't help but feel that another year or so might be the magic number for what might eventually be required to compete for a Lombardi trophy.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I'd venture to say we all have our doubts as to whether what we have thus far is enough to be considered a "complete" team. For any one team to be highly capable of winning in the "big show," it takes a wealth of talent to be proven successful. I would agree that we've come a long way to reaching that goal but I can't help but feel that another year or two might be the magic number for what mightl be required to qualify for a Lombardi trophy.

Then you have to consider the Garrett handicap.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Then you have to consider the Garrett handicap.

I'm awaiting the results of this year to decide his fate. I hope our FO feels the same. He needs to step up impressively, along with many others. There's probably no question but what Linehan and others need to contribute as never before. It'll take many more good things to happen before we're ready to take our SB winning bows, imo. We're on the right track, though. I think that's about it, although anything can happen. I see us as a possible wild card this year at best, to be honest.

Last edited:

Dre11

Reaction score
Without the addition of Dak Prescott, I may not be writing this thread at all. The key to our quick rebuild was landing a complete stud QB like Dak in the 4th round. And then him coming out of the gate and being incredible from day one going 13-3. Allowing us to remain more than competitive. Most rebuilding teams have to sit through finding another franchise QB and then having to wait 2 or 3 years until he develops. Getting Zeke in the same draft was another key. So essentially going immediately from a stud like Romo to a stud like Dak bridged that competitive gap completely.

I would hate to think what this team would have looked like without Prescott. We have all seen what Garrett is capable of without a stud QB saving his job.

Lol...a stud? He was a 4th rounder,the stud was Wentz and Geoff who went what 7-9 and whatever the Rams did....Just admit it was a hell of a coaching job by Garrett for taking a team to the best record in the NFC with 2 rookies and the qb was a fourth rounder what other coach did that?...lol

cern

Reaction score
given the cowboys draft position and limited finances for free agents, i'd say that overall they've done a good job of rebuilding these last 2 years. cleaned house in the d-backfield. doing same with lb's. adding strength to o-line should we be unable to sign zack. ridding ourselves of dez and going wr by committee considering we didn't have a truly elite #1 wr any longer. all in all, a good job.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think this team has the talent now to make a run but may peak next year with one more draft and the development from this year....

I think we have about a 4 year window that is just starting to open

I don't believe in windows because it assumes nothing can be done perpetuate success beyond that time period - as if the team has to reach some peak and can only go down. Remember a few years ago - say 2015? Many said we were in a 2-3 year window that will close as Romo ages and winds down, but that window is not closed, and now there is talk about the window being open another 4 years.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’m most excited about the prospects on defense. As we have become a run oriented offense, #2 in rushing and 26th in passing, it will be critical to build an elite defense which creates havoc and disruption at the LOS by our DL which looks to become our strength on that side of the ball.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I'm awaiting the results of this year to decide his fate. I hope our FO feels the same. He needs to step up impressively, along with many others. There's probably no question but what Linehan and others need to contribute as never before. It'll take many more good things to happen before we're ready to take our SB winning bows, imo. We're on the right track, though. I think that's about it, although anything can happen. I see us as a possible wild card this year at best, to be honest.

Its already plainly obvious well before this year that Garrett is a sub standard coach. Imagine what we could be with a real head coach.