Impressive 2 years on the rebuild

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
This team has been in constant “rebuilding” mode since Jason Garrett took over. By now this is obviously how they want to build the team. Draft well, and plug in 2nd/3rd tier free agents where needed.

I don’t see that changing anytime soon. By the time this phase of the rebuild is over, we will be figuring out who to keep along the OL. The good side of this is that this philosophy will keep us in contention for a division crown much of the time as long as Dak and Zeke can play at a high level.

It needed to be rebuilt. Garrett has been handicaped by JJ's lack of cap management so the rebuild. Having said that, there are enough pieces in place to produce consistent results.

Hardline

Reaction score
The coach in Philly won a super bowl in his second year of rebuilding.
Garrett is going into year nine I believe
The red headed clapper is four super bowl championships in debt.
Injuries and suspensions are no longer allowed to be an excuse.
The eagles proved that.

What needs rebuilding is the FO and the coaching staff.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
This team has been in constant “rebuilding” mode since Jason Garrett took over. By now this is obviously how they want to build the team. Draft well, and plug in 2nd/3rd tier free agents where needed.

I don’t see that changing anytime soon. By the time this phase of the rebuild is over, we will be figuring out who to keep along the OL. The good side of this is that this philosophy will keep us in contention for a division crown much of the time as long as Dak and Zeke can play at a high level.
18s8lfm2f7omggif.gif

Techsass

Reaction score
I get all of the frustration, but I also see that there's been a big change recently in building the team. I don't know who exactly is responsible, but we're progressing like a professional organization again.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Hate or love Dak the fact he went 13-3 his first year and 9-7 his second year should get more praise then he does. Most teams can't stay competitive when changing franchise QBs. We didn't make the playoffs this past year but were in the hunt all the way to the last 2 weeks even with all the distractions, suspensions and injuries. When healthy we can compete with any team in the league

Yet we've got people here who think White is going to be better.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Although some don't like to use the word, rebuilding is exactly what this team has been doing the last few years. It has been very impressive what they have done in the last two years alone. Not only that, but they have done it by using primarily the draft. And being overly cautious in FA will be paying dividends come next year with nice cap relief. Can they develop a complete team without signing and big name guys in FA going forward? I have my doubts.

Did we win something or are you just completely oblivious to the moves every other team makes?

Dre11

Reaction score
Although some don't like to use the word, rebuilding is exactly what this team has been doing the last few years. It has been very impressive what they have done in the last two years alone. Not only that, but they have done it by using primarily the draft. And being overly cautious in FA will be paying dividends come next year with nice cap relief. Can they develop a complete team without signing and big name guys in FA going forward? I have my doubts.

Hold up,hold up, hold up. So you admit it’s impressive how the team has been rebuilding, but on the other hand claim the coach is bad? How can one see a team in rebuild as impressive, and not see a coach keeping the team pretty competitive during the rebuild as equally impressive?

Hadenough

Reaction score
They are doing a good job! The secondary was quick it seems like yesterday Carr, Claiborne and Scandrick were starting. They are also taking care of thier own guys with the oline. Pretty sure DeMarcus Lawrence will get paid. This team has some pretty good players and it's all coming through drafts. Things should continue to get better as these young guys develop!

goshan

Reaction score
There is no rebuilding in the NFL anymore. You constantly churn a roster and replace a bunch of players, always adding rookies, FAs, etc. Your goal is to keep the roster young, mix in vets, and try to make a run every year.

I continue to be shocked by so many who don't get this simple concept.

Whyjerry

Reaction score

Agreed. It has only been 22 years since the last SB. No need to rush things. Garrett just needs a few more years to fully implement his process.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
And being overly cautious in FA will be paying dividends come next year with nice cap relief. Can they develop a complete team without signing and big name guys in FA going forward? I have my doubts.

We're starting to have enough, maybe more than enough of our own guys to sign.

The ideal is to develop so much talent through the draft that you have to let some go, which then generates comp picks for you, from which you develop more talent. You're not signing big free agents from other teams unless the stars are just perfectly aligning.

We're getting close. We've been hitting on the draft lately.

817Gill

Reaction score
We are finally out from under the dark cloud of Jerry Jones's personnel decisions. Ever since Stephen Jones and Will McClay have become the power-holders in the personnel department the team has begun being built correctly with an inside-out philosophy. O-lineman instead of flashy skill position players, a D-line littered with top 100 picks and savy acquisitions (David Irving), a cornerback group that is talented and athletic, and using the 2015 debacle to hit a home run with Zeke.

Fans who argue that the team hasn't been a great drafting team in the McClay-S.Jones era are wrong. They've changed the way we as a fanbase look forward to the draft because we can be confident guys drafted in rounds 4-7 and undrafted FA's can come in and contriibute; not to mention the mostly stellar 1st round pick selections. In any given draft a team can expect to get 2 contributors out of their haul, the Cowboys have routinely been able to get 4-5.

The only thing I've questioned the front office about is the free agency process. Even though they've been able to find one or two year rentals for bargain prices (Rolondo McClain), the team rarely found guys that stuck around for more than that. In their philosophy in fact, they only see free agents as one or two year stop-gaps in between guys they bring in via the draft. This seemed to always be what held the roster back from its true potential in terms of depth and talent,especially in 2017 where their bargain bin strategy bit them in the butt with their lack of depth being one of the biggest issues in last years campaign. But the sign of a good front office is the ability to self-scout and learn where they can improve. This off-season they made a big money attempt at Sammy Watkins (which might have made casual fans happy but serious fans disappointed), and where able to sign Allen Hurns on a team-friendly deal as they usually tend to. They were also able to use their 10 picks from all the guys they allowed to walk to trade around and land Tavon Austin and solve the speed issue on offense.

Not only did the team step out of their comfort zone a bit, they have also used the team friendly philosophy to be in line for huge cap space in 2019. Stephen Jones has said he has no problem paying a big free agent if they can perform to the level their contract warrants. Earl Thomas's inevitable availability in 2019 along with his public desire to be a Cowboy played into the team keeping their 1st/2nd round picks and giving Woods a year to prove if he can be relied on. If the team indeed acquires Earl Thomas, and a lot of evidence suggests that; then they officially have my full support.

Unfortunately team building is only half of it, the coaches must put this team in position to win on the field. That is what we should be worried about, not the FO.