Improvement starts when you accept what you are

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You know the Dallas reporters have been a little tougher on him the last few years. I hope we see him more agitated. We need them to ask the tough questions.
Many of them have . And continue to bash him. The ones I’ve followed for years anyway.

But Cowboys had just enough success every few years to drag fans along. It’s only been a couple years ago fans thought he was delegating more.

Even the firing of Garrett and hiring of McCarthy fans were saying this was a sign of Jethro changing. They’ve all been duked. They are just hopeful romantic fans.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Funny you mention recording the game. I was cleaning about my basement and stumble across a box with VCR tapes from the 90s when the Cowboys were in their heyday. I used to record every game that came on. I was thinking about tossing them, but I may find a service to convert them to DVDs.

I've long since stopped recording Cowboys games. 25-plus years of losing does that to you. Shrug.
You and me both,,, I have a box from all the classic games from that era as well, probably 25-30 games.. the classic muddy game vs the 49ers at candlestick, Emmitt vs the Giants with the separated shoulder,,,etc
PM me if your interested, I have been thinking about the same thing,, I need to google and research if there is a device that converts VCR to DVD,, there has to be.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You know the Dallas reporters have been a little tougher on him the last few years. I hope we see him more agitated. We need them to ask the tough questions.
I listened to part of the Cowboys post game on Dallas radio station The Ticket. Those hosts just openly jab Jerry and his long standing stubbornness and ignorance. I hear it more and more from local,people. You won’t hear it on the “flagship” station that carries Cowboys games. They’re big time homers.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
There will be no change, Jerry thinks the return of a few injured players and his brilliance will finally be rewarded. One must be self-aware for growth to occur. The Jones boys are not self-aware.

the off season plan is this. Sign Dak to a way too costly contract. Have little room left, so get a few FA scrubs for defense like this season. Go 8-8 with Dak, lose to any good teams we play, rinse and repeat for the next couple of year.

Get used to it, doesn’t matter, Romo, Dak, Dalton, no one can overcome the Jones boys and their incompetence.
So true, and thank you for that up lifting thought to end my lovely season,, night... jk...
I agree with you

Hagman

Put Niland and Green in the ROH
Reaction score
Funny you mention recording the game. I was cleaning about my basement and stumble across a box with VCR tapes from the 90s when the Cowboys were in their heyday. I used to record every game that came on. I was thinking about tossing them, but I may find a service to convert them to DVDs.

I've long since stopped recording Cowboys games. 25-plus years of losing does that to you. Shrug.
I live in northern Missouri, and I used to make it to four or five games a year. Most of them in Dallas, a few even in other stadiums like Tampa, Denver, and others. Heck back when they played at Texas Stadium I even owned season tickets. Gosh, all of the money I would spend on jerseys and other Cowboys merchandise is really something to think back on. Plus I paid through the nose for DIRECTV and the NFL Sunday ticket to watch the games that I could not make it to. This season I watched games while doing chores around the house and haven’t spent a nickel on Cowboys merchandise, much less thought about going to a game. Canceled my DIRECTV two years ago and stream games on the Internet that I can’t get access to here. I was paying way way too much money for a crappy product. I know I’m not the only one who’s made this basic economic calculation.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
You and me both,,, I have a box from all the classic games from that era as well, probably 25-30 games.. the classic muddy game vs the 49ers at candlestick, Emmitt vs the Giants with the separated shoulder,,,etc
PM me if your interested, I have been thinking about the same thing,, I need to google and research if there is a device that converts VCR to DVD,, there has to be.
I have one, but it didn't come with the instructions. And it's been so long since I used it, I can't remember how to do it. I may just choose a professional to save time or wait until I retire when I have more time on my hand. ;)

khiladi

Reaction score
I thought getting rid of Garrett proved Jerry has cut the emotional ties that prevented real change. But extending Moore, with McCarthy being signed to what, five years, is just incredible.

The should have just made Moore the HC then.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I have one, but it didn't come with the instructions. And it's been so long since I used it, I can't remember how to do it. I may just choose a professional to save time or wait until I retire when I have more time on my hand. ;)
just you tube it brother,, somebody has an instructional video

75boyz

Reaction score
There will be no change, Jerry thinks the return of a few injured players and his brilliance will finally be rewarded. One must be self-aware for growth to occur. The Jones boys are not self-aware.

the off season plan is this. Sign Dak to a way too costly contract. Have little room left, so get a few FA scrubs for defense like this season. Go 8-8 with Dak, lose to any good teams we play, rinse and repeat for the next couple of year.

Get used to it, doesn’t matter, Romo, Dak, Dalton, no one can overcome the Jones boys and their incompetence.

Excellent OP response. From your self awareness comment to your QB remarks and examples given of what you believe will occur, I think will happen just as you describe.

Agree with all of it. Very nice post.

RS12

Reaction score
Jerry still doesnt accept he isnt a football guy. Dont expect improvement until he and little Enos are gone.

khiladi

Reaction score
McCarthy not going ballistic at Jordan Lewis says it all.

75boyz

Reaction score
I thought getting rid of Garrett proved Jerry has cut the emotional ties that prevented real change. But extending Moore, with McCarthy being signed to what, five years, is just incredible.

The should have just made Moore the HC then.

He's still in Coach Jerry's "in training" stage but his turn at the head gig is coming soon enough. I'd say after next year after it goes south.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
When your favorite team is bad, and you watch them play every week, you get used to seeing bad players making bad plays. When occasionally, a few of those players make some good plays, many of us get suckered into thinking, “Hey that guy is pretty good.” Compared to what?

When your favorite team only makes the playoffs 7 of the last 21 seasons, the bar gets lowered. We are so starved to see something good, I think sometimes we see “good” in players that in reality aren’t as good as we would love to think. In fact,

That in a nutshell is one of the biggest problems with this entire organization. This FO vastly overrates its talent, while also vastly overrating their own abilities to right this organization’s 25 year drift to consistent playoff irrelevance. Let’s face it, 30 other owners would have fired this GM and his children long ago.

What I hope is Mike McCarthy (or someone JJ listens to) has the stones to tell his bosses a series of truths that need to be addressed:
  • This roster needs a major overhaul to be competitive for something more than mediocrity. We cannot sit pat. We must accept who we are: A below average football team.
  • We need at least 7 new starters on defense. Keepers: DLaw, Gregory, Diggs, and maybe LVE although he’s so fragile, he’s probably worth considering a replacement.
  • We need help on offense too. We may need a LT sooner than many want to believe.
  • This isn’t just a talent problem. It’s a culture problem.
  • This culture is diseased. There is a lack of focus and commitment from top to bottom. It’s been there for far too long. These players need to be challenged to show something more or we will keep getting what we’re getting.
We all want this team to improve and start competing. But this team needs a butt kicker in the locker room to start expecting more. Maybe have a Jimmy J training camp again complete with an asthma field.

And finally- like any organization that has 33% rate of even qualifying to compete for a championship, you won’t get better until you look in the mirror and admit your team sucks and you’re sick of losing and everything that contributes to it. Currently I don’t get the feeling from enough people at the Star to make a difference yet. Until enough people get sick of this repeated failure, expect the same.

Most of us are really disappointed with how this season turned out but people like you also keep bringing up those 25 years and either forget or don't understand what for most of those 25 years was the biggest reason why the Cowboys have had so much problems. It started with the 90's Super Bowl team Jones built and the Cowboys had BY FAR the largest payroll in the league. Then came the cap that forced the Cowboys to let some good players who were backups for the Cowboys but went on to be starters for other teams walk, some they had to release and some they had to negotiate contracts just to get under that new thing called the cap. The last two options put some money immediately on something called dead money while the negotiated contracts added to the dead money a couple years down the road. Now this left the Cowboys with no money to sign free agents and just barely enough to sign draft choices. This cycle went on for a couple of decades because Jones was trying his best to keep the core players on the team, but unlike the Super Bowl years the Cowboys didn't have enough after the core players and nowhere close to the depth they had on that 90's team. Now over the years there were a couple years where with additional renegotiating more contracts they signed some better free agents like Glover and Donaldson and a couple others but again those renegotiated contracts added more dead money a couple years down the road. So finally after a couple decades of this when Stephen took over contracts he stopped doing a bunch of renegotiating contracts and let some players walk who wanted to much money until the Cowboys finally had some cap space to to sign some or trade for some talent. Now you and everyone can complain about the last 5 years keeping in mind that 2 of those years the Cowboys went to the playoffs. No other team started with the huge handicap the Cowboys did when the cap started. Even commissioner Tagliabue made a suggestions to the owners to give the Cowboys a couple years of a slightly higher cap because of the enormous payroll the Cowboys had but only 2 owners agreed to it and all the rest didn't because they knew that it would end the Cowboys dynasty.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
Many of them have . And continue to bash him. The ones I’ve followed for years anyway.

But Cowboys had just enough success every few years to drag fans along. It’s only been a couple years ago fans thought he was delegating more.

Even the firing of Garrett and hiring of McCarthy fans were saying this was a sign of Jethro changing. They’ve all been duked. They are just hopeful romantic fans.
“Hopeful romantic” is a nice way of saying, ignorant. I was that way for a long time and I don’t mean that in a bad way. I mean that they are not football savvy. After watching this teams success with Landry and Johnson you begin to realize the importance of leadership and respect in the coaching ranks. When coaches are undermined by their superiors, players have a tendency to struggle for direction and a team is no longer working together but working for only themselves independently. The DC epitomizes this issue along with many other ownership issues.

doomsday808

Reaction score
So we get mind f**ked everytime JJ opens his mouth? We continue to support. That's who we fans have developed into over the past 20+ years. We all know what (front office structure) and who the problem is. Until that changes, every year we will continue to buy cowboys gear and think super bowl. Brilliant strategy!

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
To hope for change from Jerry at this point is pointless.

We just have to hope he gets lucky. And with Romo and Dak he has. So there’s that.

Getting lucky with one guy here and there isn't enough. The best teams are the ones that get the most number of picks and free agent signings right. There will always be the picks and signing that never pan out, the difference is the volume of mistakes vs hits.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Most of us are really disappointed with how this season turned out but people like you also keep bringing up those 25 years and either forget or don't understand what for most of those 25 years was the biggest reason why the Cowboys have had so much problems. It started with the 90's Super Bowl team Jones built and the Cowboys had BY FAR the largest payroll in the league. Then came the cap that forced the Cowboys to let some good players who were backups for the Cowboys but went on to be starters for other teams walk, some they had to release and some they had to negotiate contracts just to get under that new thing called the cap. The last two options put some money immediately on something called dead money while the negotiated contracts added to the dead money a couple years down the road. Now this left the Cowboys with no money to sign free agents and just barely enough to sign draft choices. This cycle went on for a couple of decades because Jones was trying his best to keep the core players on the team, but unlike the Super Bowl years the Cowboys didn't have enough after the core players and nowhere close to the depth they had on that 90's team. Now over the years there were a couple years where with additional renegotiating more contracts they signed some better free agents like Glover and Donaldson and a couple others but again those renegotiated contracts added more dead money a couple years down the road. So finally after a couple decades of this when Stephen took over contracts he stopped doing a bunch of renegotiating contracts and let some players walk who wanted to much money until the Cowboys finally had some cap space to to sign some or trade for some talent. Now you and everyone can complain about the last 5 years keeping in mind that 2 of those years the Cowboys went to the playoffs. No other team started with the huge handicap the Cowboys did when the cap started. Even commissioner Tagliabue made a suggestions to the owners to give the Cowboys a couple years of a slightly higher cap because of the enormous payroll the Cowboys had but only 2 owners agreed to it and all the rest didn't because they knew that it would end the Cowboys dynasty.
You explained all this in good detail. But in the end, it’s all just another excuse. If you can’t learn how to overcome that by now after 25 years, you shouldn’t be leading an nfl organization.

Section446

Reaction score
I'm glad that people are starting to see what some of us have seen for a few years, this team is just not that good.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
I still watch, though for the first time in decades I missed several games this year. I just didn’t care. I’ll still be a fan, but I haven’t spent a dime on any Cowboy merchandise in 2-3 years and I won’t in the future until something changes. I’m 58 and have been a diehard for the past 50 years. It’s taken it’s toll.