Improvement starts when you accept what you are

Section446

Reaction score
I still watch, though for the first time in decades I missed several games this year. I just didn’t care. I’ll still be a fan, but I haven’t spent a dime on any Cowboy merchandise in 2-3 years and I won’t in the future until something changes. I’m 58 and have been a diehard for the past 50 years. It’s taken it’s toll.
Unfortunately, your not buying merchandise won't do anything, there are a lot more sheep out there spending hundreds and thousands a year on this stupid team.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Unfortunately, your not buying merchandise won't do anything, there are a lot more sheep out there spending hundreds and thousands a year on this stupid team.
I understand why you say that. But all any of us can control is our own choices. I have chosen not to buy any tix or merchandise for years. It makes me feel like I at least have power over my own life. It’s a one fan at a time kind of thing.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
When you look at the quarter century of futility and embarrassment, Jerry and his moron son are the only constants.

No leadership. No accountability. No nothing. The guys at the top of the ladder are the ones setting the tone. No coach, All Pro QB, HOF pass rusher, or anything can cure the inoperable cancer feasting away on this organization.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
When your favorite team is bad, and you watch them play every week, you get used to seeing bad players making bad plays. When occasionally, a few of those players make some good plays, many of us get suckered into thinking, “Hey that guy is pretty good.” Compared to what?

When your favorite team only makes the playoffs 7 of the last 21 seasons, the bar gets lowered. We are so starved to see something good, I think sometimes we see “good” in players that in reality aren’t as good as we would love to think.

That in a nutshell is one of the biggest problems with this entire organization. This FO vastly overrates its talent, while also vastly overrating their own abilities to right this organization’s 25 year drift to consistent playoff irrelevance. Let’s face it, 30 other owners would have fired this GM and his children long ago.

What I hope is Mike McCarthy (or someone JJ listens to) has the stones to tell his bosses a series of truths that need to be addressed:
  • This roster needs a major overhaul to be competitive for something more than mediocrity. We cannot sit pat. We must accept who we are: A below average football team.
  • We need at least 7 new starters on defense. Keepers: DLaw, Gregory, Diggs, and maybe LVE although he’s so fragile, he’s probably worth considering a replacement.
  • We need help on offense too. We may need a LT sooner than many want to believe.
  • This isn’t just a talent problem. It’s a culture problem.
  • This culture is diseased. There is a lack of focus and commitment from top to bottom. It’s been there for far too long. These players need to be challenged to show something more or we will keep getting what we’re getting.
We all want this team to improve and start competing. But this team needs a butt kicker in the locker room to start expecting more. Maybe have a Jimmy J training camp again complete with an asthma field.

And finally- like any organization that has 33% rate of even qualifying to compete for a championship, you won’t get better until you look in the mirror and admit your team sucks and you’re sick of losing and everything that contributes to it. Currently I don’t get the feeling from enough people at the Star to make a difference yet. Until enough people get sick of this repeated failure, expect the same.
Bout sums it up

Jerry is the common
Denominator

Until that changes
Rinse and repeat

kskboys

Reaction score
McCarthy was hired for the explicit purpose of never challenging Jerry so the chance of him telling Jerry anything is not going to happen. Strap in and take heart in the fact that some day this mediocrity will end when Jerry kicks the bucket.
It appeared in the offseason that Jerry may have given McC rein to pick some players McC wanted. We 'll find out very quickly this offseason.

Rayman70

Reaction score
we didnt miss on HILL OR GALLIMORE. I see them starting next year unless we draft a bigtime stud or sign a free agent. Lets not forget we also have McCoy coming back in the fold. Woods may be odd man out. Crawford will retire.

Rayman70

Reaction score
and yes, the 2 idiots we call Junya and Daddy Jones have turned this team into Barnum and Baileys cash cow...nothing more...winning and losing be damned. Looks pretty bleak.

kskboys

Reaction score
I understand why you say that. But all any of us can control is our own choices. I have chosen not to buy any tix or merchandise for years. It makes me feel like I at least have power over my own life. It’s a one fan at a time kind of thing.
Jerry has lost a ton of sales from me. I used to buy Cowboys gear all the time, for myself as well as family and friends.

kskboys

Reaction score
we didnt miss on HILL OR GALLIMORE. I see them starting next year unless we draft a bigtime stud or sign a free agent. Lets not forget we also have McCoy coming back in the fold. Woods may be odd man out. Crawford will retire.
Hill, Galley, and McCoy all play the same position. Woods is one of the few 1 techs we have on the roster.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Hill, Galley, and McCoy all play the same position. Woods is one of the few 1 techs we have on the roster.
true. I just think we need to get both these dudes on the field together.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
lmao, you guys will be back soon talking about the draft and how the team looks and the season will end back up here. lmao. you guys are like 7-10 years behind on giving a crap.
"go cowboys!" lmao

Cmac

Reaction score
I wonder if JLewis, with the early bonehead play.....understands he changed field position for his team. Great coaches would have been in his #$#$ about that. The team is undisciplined, including Jaylon with his antics (yep, me criticizing JSmith), and never prepared to compete…..this team doesn't have the makeup.....top to bottom.....to compete for anything. I miss Jimmy. We are a laughingstock.

Jimmy-Johnson-profession.jpg

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
You explained all this in good detail. But in the end, it’s all just another excuse. If you can’t learn how to overcome that by now after 25 years, you shouldn’t be leading an nfl organization.

It's not an excuse, it is a fact. Jones could have just let that Super Bowl team move on whether just not trying to resign any of them, they still would have had to release some to get under the cap. In following years they could have not renegotiated contracts just to try to keep more of those core players and just released them and with all that dead money pilling up they wouldn't have money to sign their top draft picks so they could have traded out of the first and second rounds every year and just drafted 3rd round and lower because they would be cheaper to sign but also take longer to find that really good group of core players to build around. Jones would have turned into another Art Model and we all know what he did with the browns. But no, Jones did all he could to try to keep that core group of players from those Super Bowl teams with hopes of getting enough new talent to fill in and for depth to keep the Cowboys able to compete for more Super Bowls, but unfortunately those Super Bowl teams put the Cowboys is such a terrible situation. In the Super Bowl era there's never been any other team anywhere close that had to go through what the Cowboys had to over come because of the cap. You say that all this is just an excuse so please tell us how after you built up that Super Bowl team with the by far largest payroll in the league when there wasn't any cap and then hit with the cap just how you would have done things differently all the while trying to keep as much of your core players and try to still be able to compete.

Hadenough

Reaction score
When your favorite team is bad, and you watch them play every week, you get used to seeing bad players making bad plays. When occasionally, a few of those players make some good plays, many of us get suckered into thinking, “Hey that guy is pretty good.” Compared to what?

When your favorite team only makes the playoffs 7 of the last 21 seasons, the bar gets lowered. We are so starved to see something good, I think sometimes we see “good” in players that in reality aren’t as good as we would love to think.

That in a nutshell is one of the biggest problems with this entire organization. This FO vastly overrates its talent, while also vastly overrating their own abilities to right this organization’s 25 year drift to consistent playoff irrelevance. Let’s face it, 30 other owners would have fired this GM and his children long ago.

What I hope is Mike McCarthy (or someone JJ listens to) has the stones to tell his bosses a series of truths that need to be addressed:
  • This roster needs a major overhaul to be competitive for something more than mediocrity. We cannot sit pat. We must accept who we are: A below average football team.
  • We need at least 7 new starters on defense. Keepers: DLaw, Gregory, Diggs, and maybe LVE although he’s so fragile, he’s probably worth considering a replacement.
  • We need help on offense too. We may need a LT sooner than many want to believe.
  • This culture is diseased. There is a lack of focus and commitment from top to bottom. It’s been there for far too long. These players need to be challenged to show something more or we will keep getting what we’re getting.
We all want this team to improve and start competing. But this team needs a butt kicker in the locker room to start expecting more. Maybe have a Jimmy J training camp again complete with an asthma field.

And finally- like any organization that has 33% rate of even qualifying to compete for a championship, you won’t get better until you look in the mirror and admit your team sucks and you’re sick of losing and everything that contributes to it. Currently I don’t get the feeling from enough people at the Star to make a difference yet. Until enough people get sick of this repeated failure, expect the same.
Changing the culture is like asking Jerry to step down. Every tiny corner of this organization Jerry has his fingers on. The fans over rate players just as bad as Jerry. It often seems that the players the Cowboys draft are good players but succumb to the culture and become worse after being here a while. Jerry will not bring in any true alpha coaches or players that would have an impact on culture. EVERYONE that works or has anything to do with the Cowboys organization is a yes sir man. Football is not what it used to be but for some reason I keep watching the circus every year. We all have this false hope and excitement that things will change but they never do. I dont really care anymore if they sign or dont sign Dak. He could put up 50 points a game and the defense would slack off and give up 51 points a game. Its the nature of this team. Or he could put up 9 points a game and the defense will give up 10 points a game. Players come and go, coaches come and go its all the same.

Hadenough

Reaction score
I wonder if JLewis, with the early bonehead play.....understands he changed field position for his team. Great coaches would have been in his #$#$ about that. The team is undisciplined, including Jaylon with his antics (yep, me criticizing JSmith), and never prepared to compete…..this team doesn't have the makeup.....top to bottom.....to compete for anything. I miss Jimmy. We are a laughingstock.

Jimmy-Johnson-profession.jpg
This organization needs that disciplinarian coach that Jerry hates.

USArmyVet

Reaction score

When an organization allows players like Xavier Woods to say the defense only plays 70% of plays without any recourse, you get a lazy culture. When you see players like Jourdan Lewis and Randy Gregory take stupid on the field Unnecessary Roughness penalties without any recourse, you get a lazy culture. When the Head Coach does not challenge an obvious questionable catch, you get a lazy culture. When you get players like Zeke and Lawrence bad mouthing fans that support this team without any recourse, you get a lazy culture. When you watch someone like Jaylon Smith consistently show boating and celebrating inconsequential or dumb plays without any recourse, you get a lazy culture.

The fact is this organization has been diseased ever since Jimmy Johnson left. There is no longer a fear of consequences to a player's actions as Jerry Jones has created a lazy culture where players are rewarded with unwarranted contracts and are treated like buddies instead of employees.

The Dallas Cowboys truly are America's Team as it's a symbolism as a lazy, look at me culture that no longer takes pride in hard work and doing the little things to thrive as a team.