Improving our offense- Simple advice from Warren Sharp

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My God, you don't even understand the concept of unpredictability?

Would you rather I hit you in the head with a claw hammer, or one of either 1. A feather duster 2. A memory foam pillow, or 3. A helium balloon? Remember, if you don’t go with the hammer, there’s no way of knowing exactly which implement might be coming. You’d have to brace for anything.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
And yet... his teams somehow magically win. Without a QB. Some things just have no easy explanation.

LOL...…..magically win what? Your low standards are a disgrace.

What have the Garrett led teams won exactly?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Would you rather I hit you in the head with a claw hammer, or one of either 1. A feather duster 2. A memory foam pillow, or 3. A helium balloon? Remember, if you don’t go with the hammer, there’s no way of knowing exactly which implement might be coming. You’d have to brace for anything.

Im sure that makes sense to you.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
“Hammer” would be my vote, but think about it and get back to me.

Did your parents used to hit you in the head with a hammer when you were little or something? That would explain a lot actually. :clap::clap::clap::clap::lmao::lmao2::lmao2:

Do you know that your love tribute to Garrett in your signature has this quote from Jerry Jones?

" Does he have some things he could do better? Of course"

kskboys

Reaction score
If I get to wear a helmet and get to wield a tool to block it w/, the claw hammer.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Of course it makes sense. However, since you know it's coming, that means you get to crawl into a tank, right? So bring on the hammer!!!!

What does hitting someone in the head with a hammer have to do with Garretts predictable offense?

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
Warren Sharp most be lurking on this forum to come up with those observations. :lmao2:

kskboys

Reaction score
What does hitting someone in the head with a hammer have to do with Garretts predictable offense?
IDK, makes me want to?

No, what she was trying to say is that it's harder to stop a hammer even if you know it's coming. I disagree w/ her.

catiii

Reaction score
That’s a good point X. But it doesn’t change the need for this team to stop being so conservative or improve its performance in so many areas.

Ya know, after so many years and so much frustration with JG, I'm honestly starting to believe he's conservative because he's not smart enough to draw anything up more complex. And no smiley after that..... :(

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have a question. What does Booger think of Warren Sharp?

He already bought into part of that by letting Linehan walk but he must know the playbook is Garrett's as well as the game calling philosophy. Garrett's philosophy is to try and get the lead and then try not to lose it. They need to get the lead to go ahead and win it.

So, most feel he's coaching for his job this season. Does he play it conservative or balls out because he has nothing to lose? Or does he play it conservative because of his QB? I wondered that about Linehan because he called a different game with Romo or Romo changed a bushel of plays.
Those are great questions-
1. Does Jerry even listen to experts (like Sharp) outside the organization?

In the past two decades, my observation of Jerry’s listening abilities are that they are tied first to a potential loss of revenue. Then secondly, he listens when he thinks his golden goose organization is losing credibility like it did when Dave Campo was coaching this team. Or when Wade Phillips had lost the locker room. Only then does it seem Jerry starts to listen. And then I’m not sure who his “advisors” are. When he thinks things are going well, he’s deaf ears.

2. Because many feel Garrett is coaching for his job this year, does that mean he coaches less conservatively and goes balls out?

Great question. I think Garrett is a guy who stays completely committed to who is. He will only take chance on rare occasions. To him, being aggressive means he’s willing to “go for it” on 4th and 1 on the opponents side of the field. Garrett never seems to see the idea that being aggressive is a mindset, not a situation. So will he take more chances? I seriously doubt it.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
IDK, makes me want to?

No, what she was trying to say is that it's harder to stop a hammer even if you know it's coming. I disagree w/ her.

How is it harder to stop a hammer if you know its coming? Anything is easier to stop of you know its coming. She doesn't make a lot of sense.

kskboys

Reaction score
How is it harder to stop a hammer if you know its coming? Anything is easier to stop of you know its coming. She doesn't make a lot of sense.
I think she's so caught up w/ defending that analyses are mostly left behind.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If I get to wear a helmet and get to wield a tool to block it w/, the claw hammer.

The point is that predictable isn't bad if it's effective. And unpredictable isn't helpful if it's not effective, or if it's less effective than predictable. What matters is effectiveness.

If someone wants to demonstrate that the most effective offenses in the NFL are the unpredictable ones, I'd love to see it.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The point is that predictable isn't bad if it's effective. And unpredictable isn't helpful if it's not effective, or if it's less effective than predictable. What matters is effectiveness.

If someone wants to demonstrate that the most effective offenses in the NFL are the unpredictable ones, I'd love to see it.

Do you even believe the nonsense you say?

Rams and KC, two best offenses and they are the most unpredictable with motion and disguise.

The point is to be both effective and unpredictable. Not one or not the other.

The more effective/execution AND unpredictability you have, the better you will be.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Sharp's analysis has just been squashed.
It's hit and miss, much like his twitter feed (which I follow). His analysis can be insightful or just completely wrong.

• He said throwing a pass to Zeke on first down was a statistical strong play that Linehan rarely called last year.
This is half-true. Elliott's first-down targets averaged 8.1 yards with a 109.8 passer rating, so it was an efficient play. But in their games together, Zeke got more targets on first down than Cooper, whose targets averaged 10.6 yards with a 113.6 passer rating. Every other target (to players other than Zeke or Amari) averaged just 7.0 yards with a 74.2 passer rating on first down.

• Sitting on a lead, especially a less than two score lead can kill your momentum and it gives the opponent the edge on being aggressive. The days of being conservative with the lead have become old fashioned.
This one is way off. The Cowboys were undefeated (10-0) when leading at the half, and also when leading after three quarters (8-0). Dallas also won two games when trailing after 3 quarters, which was more than the league average per team (1.38).

• Defenses against us typically stack the box and don’t respect any kind of deep threat.
Elliott faced a stacked box on 24.7% of his rushes, which was about the league average (23%). We could lower that number even further by having fewer offensive players in the box on our rushing attempts. One of the things McVay figured out before anybody else is that defenses key on the number of offensive players in the box. The Rams had an average amount of 20+yd throws, but Gurley faced the fewest stacked boxes because so many of his runs came from passing formations.

• Red zone improvement? Utilize Dak more as a runner.
@xwalker already addressed this one. Prescott's 19 red zone carries were second only to Lamar Jackson.

• Give defenses more wrinkles in their standard formations. The Cowboys have been extremely conservative in the type of plays they run in certain formations. For example, when running 4 wide and 1 back, they almost always throw, which is fairly predictable. How about running the ball there more? Or with the empty backfield 5 wide sets, how about running a QB draw?
100% right, as Moore himself has said.

Dre11

Reaction score
Man when you come by you come hard . You take people to the woodshed:thumbup:watch how many scatter like roaches....lol

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rams and KC, two best offenses and they are the most unpredictable with motion and disguise.

I need to find another way of saying that just because some effective offenses are unpredictable, it doesn't mean all effective offenses are unpredictable. or that there aren't ineffective offenses that are unpredictable, too. I don't have anything against unpredictability. It's fun to watch. I just haven't seen a lot of evidence that it's required for an offense to be effective.

The point is only to be effective. That ought to be self-evident.