Improving our offense- Simple advice from Warren Sharp

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I need to find another way of saying that just because some effective offenses are unpredictable, it doesn't mean all effective offenses are unpredictable. or that there aren't ineffective offenses that are unpredictable, too. I don't have anything against unpredictability. It's fun to watch. I just haven't seen a lot of evidence that it's required for an offense to be effective.

The point is only to be effective. That ought to be self-evident.
I think I understand what you’re saying. We as Cowboys fans all want the offense to be effective.

A lot of discussions in threads on these boards sadly go to a “win-lose”, “either or” mentality where someone’s entire post is depicted as entirely right or entirely wrong. I see good points in posts sometimes where I agree with some of it but also disagree with other parts. I’m never offended by someone disagreeing with my opinions. I know I can be wrong about the Cowboys at any time, and it’s fine for others to point that out. What I don’t understand are the folks here who disagree then rush to condemn someone about an opinion on the team we all love.

From my perspective, this thread was about pointing out some points that an NFL consultant I happen to respect and heard on the radio say some things that I thought might make our offense better. We Cowboys fans all want the same thing- another Lombardi.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think I understand what you’re saying. We as Cowboys fans all want the offense to be effective.

A lot of discussions in threads on these boards sadly go to a “win-lose”, “either or” mentality where someone’s entire post is depicted as entirely right or entirely wrong. I see good points in posts sometimes where I agree with some of it but also disagree with other parts. I’m never offended by someone disagreeing with my opinions. I know I can be wrong about the Cowboys at any time, and it’s fine for others to point that out. What I don’t understand are the folks here who disagree then rush to condemn someone about an opinion on the team we all love.

From my perspective, this thread was about pointing out some points that an NFL consultant I happen to respect and heard on the radio say some things that I thought might make our offense better. We Cowboys fans all want the same thing- another Lombardi.

I’d say you’ve got it exactly right here.

kskboys

Reaction score
The point is that predictable isn't bad if it's effective. And unpredictable isn't helpful if it's not effective, or if it's less effective than predictable. What matters is effectiveness.

If someone wants to demonstrate that the most effective offenses in the NFL are the unpredictable ones, I'd love to see it.
I think we're defining unpredictability different. It can be sending your possession guy deep, it can be bouncing a run outside, it can be as simple as sending your deep guy deep a few plays then suddenly doing a comeback. Maybe a fake handoff to Zeke and then give it to Pollard, stuff like that. It's not that we're running Zeke up the middle, it's that we're giving tells that we're doing it and running him to the same hole too many times.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Aw, you're nuts!

This afternoon I heard Warren Sharp, one of the most respected offensive minds in the NFL on Dallas radio station “The Ticket” being interviewed by Bob Storm. It was very insightful to say the least (Here’s a link to Sharp’s website-https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/)

Sharp is often a consultant to NFL teams using stats and trends to improve offensive performance. He had some fascinating points and ideas on how the Cowboys can improve their performance on offense. Here were some of his major points describing some of the Cowboys offensive problems and how to fix them:
  • The Cowboys became way too conservative in the 3rd qtr, especially when they had the lead. They ran the ball on first down nearly 60% of the time, and were usually facing 2nd down and long way too often. He recommends passing more on 1st down, especially in the second half to keep defenses honest. He also said throwing a pass to Zeke on first down was a statistical strong play that Linehan rarely called last year.
  • Improving FIRST DOWN playcalling. The Cowboys had THE most predictable offense on first down in the NFL, especially when they had the lead. Sitting on a lead, especially a less than two score lead can kill your momentum and it gives the opponent the edge on being aggressive. The days of being conservative with the lead have become old fashioned. (A real sad trademark of Garrett coached teams)
  • Be more aggressive. Throw deep more, especially on first down. Defenses against us typically stack the box and don’t respect any kind of deep threat. Even if you don’t convert a deep ball, two positives can happen- a PI call or if nothing else, the defense now knows you might try to go over the top and may back off a little on the run.
  • Red zone improvement? Utilize Dak more as a runner. Dak has been the second best red zone runner in the NFL the past two seasons. Because Zeke is expected to run the ball inside the 10, Sharp said running Dak way more than they have in the red zone keeps defenses more in their heels, especially if Dak is a frequent runner.
  • Give defenses more wrinkles in their standard formations. The Cowboys have been extremely conservative in the type of plays they run in certain formations. For example, when running 4 wide and 1 back, they almost always throw, which is fairly predictable. How about running the ball there more? Or with the empty backfield 5 wide sets, how about running a QB draw?
In short:
1. Be more aggressive, especially in the 3rd qtr. (Don’t get so conservative with a lead)
2. Throw deep more.
3. Let Dak run more, especially in red zone.
4. Throw to Zeke more on 1st down.
5. Run less predictable plays from standard formations.

I hope Garrett lets Kellen Moore have the freedom to do these changes. Otherwise, expect another frustrating year on offense.

Dont fool yourself, Eugene, it will be 8-8.
What, you expect good execution and effort?

Dak is a caretaker.
This year will prove it.
Hollah

Blackrain

Reaction score
What does hitting someone in the head with a hammer have to do with Garretts predictable offense?

Watching Garrett coach is like hitting yourself in the head with a hammer . It feels much better after its over

Blackrain

Reaction score
A predictable offense can be effective against a lot of teams especially ones where your talent trumps there's by a wide margin . Power running and an Offensive line that can impose its will and beat down a defense can win a lot of games and give some very good football to watch .

Eventually if a championship is your goal you are going to have to go through teams like the Pats that game plan specifically to take away what you what you do best and second best . They take the guys you have predictably shown you count on out of the game because they have a coach who has proven talented enough to do this on the biggest stage .

If your coach is not talented enough to game plan specifically for every team he will face in the playoffs and is not capable of anticipating and making adjustments while managing the clock properly a quick exit is on the horizon as we have seen repeatedly no matter what our level of talent .

Blackrain

Reaction score
I have never seen a gameday coach/playcaller that is worse than Garrett. On any level. Its scary.

I hear ya, its very unfortunate because he is a good guy the players like him and they play hard for him . That run he took us on last year was impressive . He somehow kept those guys motivated and believing when it would have been very easy to give up . Not an easy task in todays NFL .

But sadly the playoffs are his ceiling that's it . When everybody is good and the talent is pretty equal you flat out have to have a better plan , a different plan , a team specific plan and we are far from that . But teams sure have our number when it counts .

birdwells1

Reaction score
A predictable offense can be effective against a lot of teams especially ones where your talent trumps there's by a wide margin . Power running and an Offensive line that can impose its will and beat down a defense can win a lot of games and give some very good football to watch .

Eventually if a championship is your goal you are going to have to go through teams like the Pats that game plan specifically to take away what you what you do best and second best . They take the guys you have predictably shown you count on out of the game because they have a coach who has proven talented enough to do this on the biggest stage .

If your coach is not talented enough to game plan specifically for every team he will face in the playoffs and is not capable of anticipating and making adjustments while managing the clock properly a quick exit is on the horizon as we have seen repeatedly no matter what our level of talent .

This is the most accurate post in 2019. Thanks.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Okay so there is always a great possibility that you will need to go through Belichick to win a SB . So what gives you a punchers chance against the GOAT ??

Your coach has to have a big set of stones and give your team the opportunity to win like Doug P did by doing the philly special on 4th down . Would we have done something unpredictable like that after watching the Pats fail on pretty much the same play . Nope up the middle to Zeke stood up at the line and ball changes possession .

Doug went for it on another 4th down that kept a scoring drive alive . Bottom line if you are not as talented you must be at least fearless and give your team a chance . But we don't have that going for us either . Just Sayin