Improving Witten's Production

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Opening day of training camp Witten Will be the person that is in the best shape out of every person on the field you can count on it happens every season
Facts.

I like @charron 's response. Perhaps they can also improve on the types of routes they have him running. As he ages, they might want to focus more on routes designed to allow him to use his brute strength which has never been an issue. Perhaps more misdirection and less button hooks/3 yard outs.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
Facts.

I like @charron 's response. Perhaps they can also improve on the types of routes they have him running. As he ages, they might want to focus more on routes designed to allow him to use his brute strength which has never been an issue. Perhaps more misdirection and less button hooks/3 yard outs.
Replace him at tight end with Rico and move him to wide out where Dez use to play

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Replace him at tight end with Rico and move him to wide out where Dez use to play
Lol...

Rico should be a factor this year though. I think they've been keeping their secret weapon quietly to themselves.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
All we ever really do in using Zeke is to hand the ball to him. I very rarely see him break the LOS and catch a ball in the flats or just over the 1st level in the middle. He doesn't have any weaknesses in terms of pass catching ability. So why aren't we already throwing it to him on a more regular basis out of a run set?

It seems to me that's an element of our offense which still remains untapped. I also believe we can free up old man Witten to get back to 7-10 yard gains by utilizing that additional threat in the passing game.

I do realize that doing this takes away Dak's safety valve in terms of pass pro but a RB can chuck at the line and still turn around in an instant to catch a pass. I need to see more of that wrinkle this year & believe the addition will have a positive effect on Witt's production.
The only way to improve his production as a receiver is to make him into a good red zone threat or deep baller. He's a great possession receiver when you need about 7 yards. He can make about 3 catches a game for 30 yards on Avg. I don't think that's gonna win too many games as a starter playing every passing snap but hopefully someone around him can make up for that lost receiving production that gets left on the table. Whatever it takes to have him out there in the same vanilla formation for every snap. Its not about winning its all about the Glory of old JW. He's set up to be the #1 Target this year so he can break Dez's TD Records. Too bad he couldn't do it 8 years versus 18. He only has like 7 TD's to go to be the all time cowboys leader. Maybe he'll break that in the next 2-3 years now that they got rid of Dez!!! I'm sure he wasnt one of the Garrett Guys

Last edited:

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
I can't wait to see how great Witten will be this year. Now that Dez is gone he'll have free reign to play on the outside and run some deep routes and be a red zone beast like Gronk. Now that Dez isn't here Im expecting Jw to get at least 10 TD and 1000 yards this year. I mean he's a first ballot Hof player. He can go up and highpoint the ball down in the red zone. Why would anyone expect anything less. I think he will be hungry to break the all time records owned by Dez. Who else deserves it more than the guy who played more snaps in NFL history. Most complete te in football ever!!! He deserves a ring. Too bad he never had any talent around him that could match his receiving skills. All those times he got us down there and nobody could step up and even score when we needed it. He'd have multiple rings now if they'd just throw it to Mr reliable Everytime!

Last edited:

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
Getting Zeke more involved in the passing game would be the perfect counter solution to a declining Witten.

Why not draft a second rb to play alongside Zeke? That way we have depth and a backup plan in case he gets hurt or suspended. Imagine if we had 2 Rbs like Zeke in the back field at one time. Could you imagine what a duel rb formation could do to our offense vs all those designated blocking fb formations that are vanilla

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Zeke bought the linemen ATVs, maybe someone should get Witten a scooter to improve his YAC

giphy-downsized-large.gif
I didn't know that(or got drunk& forgot) that's a most awesome exhibition of gratitude on his end,man that's bumped him up several notches on my coolness gauge,,,what were they trip635?
Something like big quad grizzlies?

Hadenough

Reaction score
The TE over the last few years has become a staple of the good offenses and Witten is capable of running deeper routes but this offense just lacks creativity and the balls to continue to run a play that works! Last year Dallas ran Witten on a seam route that ended up with a TD pass from Dak but it only happened once! For some reason Jason or linehan wont call the play anymore. He doesnt wait until the defense actually adjusts to stop the play he will run it once or twice and say oh boy they might catch on lets stop doing it!

Melonfeud

Reaction score
Why not draft a second rb to play alongside Zeke? That way we have depth and a backup plan in case he gets hurt or suspended. Imagine if we had 2 Rbs like Zeke in the back field at one time. Could you imagine what a duel rb formation could do to our offense vs all those designated blocking fb formations that are vanilla
Man,they cut #20 late last season after carrying him unplayed on the roster,#46 as far as I know is still a free agent & you want to tip the bar tender with huge hooters 1 of 10 draft picks on a R.B.? ,,,WHY? that F.B. they re- acquired from Oakland might prove to be the zesty version of the secret sauce so many are in search of around hereo_O

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
The TE over the last few years has become a staple of the good offenses and Witten is capable of running deeper routes but this offense just lacks creativity and the balls to continue to run a play that works! Last year Dallas ran Witten on a seam route that ended up with a TD pass from Dak but it only happened once! For some reason Jason or linehan wont call the play anymore. He doesnt wait until the defense actually adjusts to stop the play he will run it once or twice and say oh boy they might catch on lets stop doing it!
Garrett & Linehan better snap out of it!

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
Man,they cut #20 late last season after carrying him unplayed on the roster,#46 as far as I know is still a free agent & you want to tip the bar tender with huge hooters 1 of 10 draft picks on a R.B.? ,,,WHY? that F.B. they re- acquired from Oakland might prove to be the zesty version of the secret sauce so many are in search of around hereo_O
Man I loved me some full back way back in the 70's when the Tyler Rose was playing. I love those outdated one dimensional players who sacrificed for someone else's Glory. Even with a strong tip off that they were going to run the ball Earl still won the Rushing championship for multiple seasons. You talk about 1 player carrying a team. Ha ha

Last edited:

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Facts.

Haha, you want this coaching staff to put players in position to succeed?

Good luck with that.

Melonfeud

Reaction score
Haha, you want this coaching staff to put players in position to succeed?

Good luck with that.
"LIKE" X's 10

I was talking the other day with someone over Carson Wentz's noticeable marked improvement in year #2 & I had to point out it had more to do with the coaching attack scheme than his actual footballish growth.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I didn't know that(or got drunk& forgot) that's a most awesome exhibition of gratitude on his end,man that's bumped him up several notches on my coolness gauge,,,what were they trip635?
Something like big quad grizzlies?
He gave them to the OLine for Christmas of his rookie year. I'm sure you saw it, but must have been full of holiday cheer to remember.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
Witten won't be cut, they would ask him to retire or take a seriously lesser role, maybe they did that already. This Cowboy's team needs a 2nd TE before picking up a WR.

How early would you want a TE? 2nd rd?