Improving Witten's Production

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I love Jason, but at this point we should use him on short yardage and goal line. Period.

What bothers me about Jason, not only is he really ineffective in the passing game. He cannot reach his blocks, and that's why somebody needs to tell him it's time to share snaps.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
I'll just say one more thing for you to consider - not entirely different than I've said before, but a little different approach.

Consider that there is a point of diminishing returns .... that more of something isn't always better, especially if it takes away from something else.

POINT A: Running 24+ times a game Zeke can absolutely dominate a game. The more you take away from that, the less ability he will have to dominate games.

POINT B: Let's say Antonio Brown, who is either the best or at least one of the best WR's in football, is also very good at running reverses (he is), so, the Steelers decide to start running reverses 7-8 times a game instead of 1-2 times a game, and naturally the opposing defense begins to recognize it more quickly, and in subsequent games the opposing defense actually game plans for it. No more element of surprise, no more running a play the opposing defense hasn't game planned for ..... and now the results on each end around aren't so good anymore, and in fact, the defense starts to meet the receiver in the backfield before he ever gets a chance to get to the outside. Then there's the issue of Antonio Brown being gassed on plays they might need him as a receiver, or possibly getting hurt, or just losing some focus on what his primary talent is - which is getting open and catching passes.

Same applies to an elite RB catching passes. With a moderate number of catches, each reception is very productive because it is a supplement to the RB's efforts, rather than the focus of it. But if used to often teams come to recognize what the Cowboys are doing, and game plan for it, the opportunity for big plays will diminish, and the possibility the opposing defense will recognize it and make a big play of their own is increased. Again - a point of diminishing returns.

And like with the Antonio Brown example, the guy needed to carry the running game for the team will sometimes be gassed, and he may have more difficulty getting into the flow of the running game, which is important as most runners will tell you the more they run the ball and see the blocking and defense the better feel they have for what they need to do. The result is you will have turned Zeke into a jack of all trades, master of none. He currently is a master as a ball carrier.
If Zeke came into camp in Witten's shape, being gasses wouldn't be a remote possibility.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I love Jason, but at this point we should use him on short yardage and goal line. Period.

What bothers me about Jason, not only is he really ineffective in the passing game. He cannot reach his blocks, and that's why somebody needs to tell him it's time to share snaps.

I disagree that his value is limited to that, but it certainly isn't what it used to be, and it certainly doesn't merit being almost exclusively the recipient of passes from the TE position. The coaching staff has to be smart enough to see that and do something about it. At this point I think Witten should be catching no more than 45-50 passes, with other TEs catching 30-35 passes.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Zeke came into camp in Witten's shape, being gasses wouldn't be a remote possibility.

So, you think Witten is in great shape? Okay. I don't see your point though - Witten isn't asked to carry the load for both the running game and the passing game on his shoulders.

The fact is a player can't both be an elite RB and the top receiver on his team, much less catch more passes by a long shot than any player in the NFL. A team would be detracting from both skills if they even tried to make that happen. Besides that, all a defense would have to do is game plan for one player.

Does it dawn on you that there is a reason that no NFL coach - EVER - has tried to get a contender for the NFL rushing title to also catch more passes than any other player? Obviously they understand it's good to have the ball in the hands of talented players, yet they still don't do it. Ask yourself why.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
All we ever really do in using Zeke is to hand the ball to him. I very rarely see him break the LOS and catch a ball in the flats or just over the 1st level in the middle. He doesn't have any weaknesses in terms of pass catching ability. So why aren't we already throwing it to him on a more regular basis out of a run set?

It seems to me that's an element of our offense which still remains untapped. I also believe we can free up old man Witten to get back to 7-10 yard gains by utilizing that additional threat in the passing game.

I do realize that doing this takes away Dak's safety valve in terms of pass pro but a RB can chuck at the line and still turn around in an instant to catch a pass. I need to see more of that wrinkle this year & believe the addition will have a positive effect on Witt's production.
I say split him out wide and put another TE next to him.

Then motion a back out of the backfield to that side.

Then fake the throw to the back and hit either TE down field doing a turn out route and then one doing a hook pattern.

The TE who catches the pass gets a block from the free TE.

Sort of like a bubble screen but with bigger bodies.

You could also just throw to the back out of the backfield and have the 2TEs block for him.

TD.

Witten is used more creatively.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
I say split him out wide and put another TE next to him.

Then motion a back out of the backfield to that side.

Then fake the throw to the back and hit either TE down field doing a turn out route and then one doing a hook pattern.

The TE who catches the pass gets a block from the free TE.

Sort of like a bubble screen but with bigger bodies.

You could also just throw to the back out of the backfield and have the 2TEs block for him.

TD.

Witten is used more creatively.
Wow.... Now that's creativity!

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
He gave them to the OLine for Christmas of his rookie year. I'm sure you saw it, but must have been full of holiday cheer to remember.

:thumbup:
Man! #21 got flat out hosed in that extensively pre planned bushwhacking the league commissioner rode herd over:(

* the HOLIDAYS can be a dark place for some folks,,,er,,,ah,,,,CHEERFULLY DARK!:lmao:

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Improving Wittens production? Do what NE did with Brady. Off-season, secret surgery to install a wind up key. Works for Tom terrific why not Witt :).

Yes, please use Zeke more out of the backfield. Yes, please draft a RB somewhere in the draft who can do what NE's RB's do. Sneak out of the back field. Settle down and let Brady rip it for 8 yards and RAC. Sheesh, Brady's RB's made him look great last year. We should adopt that strategy including the wind up key for Witt

elcowboi

Reaction score
All we ever really do in using Zeke is to hand the ball to him. I very rarely see him break the LOS and catch a ball in the flats or just over the 1st level in the middle. He doesn't have any weaknesses in terms of pass catching ability. So why aren't we already throwing it to him on a more regular basis out of a run set?

It seems to me that's an element of our offense which still remains untapped. I also believe we can free up old man Witten to get back to 7-10 yard gains by utilizing that additional threat in the passing game.

I do realize that doing this takes away Dak's safety valve in terms of pass pro but a RB can chuck at the line and still turn around in an instant to catch a pass. I need to see more of that wrinkle this year & believe the addition will have a positive effect on Witt's production.

Go back in time about 10 years and then you'll have a productive Witten. He is WAY past his prime and is no longer feared by defenses. I'm not sure what can be done at this point in his career to make him productive again.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Go back in time about 10 years and then you'll have a productive Witten. He is WAY past his prime and is no longer feared by defenses. I'm not sure what can be done at this point in his career to make him productive again.
Thoughts about incorporating Zeke more into the passing game?